Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 Captain

2»

Comments

• Options
    Uboat said:
    I’ve never really understood why football teams need captains. 
    Think the role is greatly exaggerated by fans to be honest
  • Options
    O'Connell would seem an obvious choice
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Uboat said:
    Well, someone has to go up for the pre-match toss-up and pictures!
    Absolutely, but as far as I’m aware, that’s the end of their responsibilities. 
  • Options
    The main thing I feel uncomfortable with is that he gets involved in silly confrontational things. The tackle he did early in the game last Saturday is an example. Unnecessary, especially from your captain in my opinion. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    For me (controversial!) Stockley wouldn’t even be on the pitch if we had a quality striker but I expect him to be given the gig. I’d personally (without having seen either admittedly) give it to O’Connell or McGrandles. I’d have Dobson or Lavelle in the mix too but I don’t think either are guaranteed a starting position.  
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I would hope O’Connell or Lavelle or maybe McGrandles

definitely not Stockers.  Jayden is an important player but not a good captain as he’s too whiny

we need someone to gee them up when we concede not stand there lambasting individuals
    Agreed. Jayden is good off the pitch, but on it he can come over as a moaner and indeed even a bit petulant
  • Options
    How has noone mentioned Dobson? Would be up there for me, leader on the pitch and in the perfect position to give orders and push the team on when needed.
  • Options
    How has noone mentioned Dobson? Would be up there for me, leader on the pitch and in the perfect position to give orders and push the team on when needed.
    I agree with you entirely. 
    Trouble is he might not be in Garners starting 11.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:
    Off_it said:
    Uboat said:
    Well, someone has to go up for the pre-match toss-up and pictures!
    Absolutely, but as far as I’m aware, that’s the end of their responsibilities. 
    They're squad administrators. They bring issues to the manager if there's a group problem, they take requests and suggestions from the team to the coaching staff and they organise things for the group; tickets, socials, whip-rounds etc. It's quite an old fashioned idea that captains are the ones required to sort everything out on the pitch and bawl players out. Anyone can do that. In our squad we've got a few personalities; Lavelle and O'Connell, McGrandles appears to be one. They'll be talking on the pitch regardless of whether they've got the armband. In the modern day you need a captain who's popular, who the players will listen to and who can also talk to the coaching staff and the media in a way that's clear and appropriate. Stockley's a good choice because he seems to be popular with the players, he's outgoing and charismatic, he's great in an interview because he knows what to say in football speak (I want to end my career here, that result wasn't good enough, we all have to step up, we're all playing for our jobs and we have to appreciate that etc) and he says it well. A manager would feel comfortable sending a message through Stockley and I think players would be happy with Stockley taking a message to the manager or the owner.
  • Options
    Stockley it is. Has to play like Ibrahimovic now or the masses will grow restless. EOC seems like a good choice of deputy 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Stockley it is. Has to play like Ibrahimovic now or the masses will grow restless. EOC seems like a good choice of deputy 
    I’d be happy if Garner converts him into a pound shop Yann.
  • Options
    I don’t know who else he could’ve given it to when I think about the other players and regular starters.  Bit too early to tell who he fancies other than Stockley to be week in, week out and fits the bill as a captain 
  • Options
    I suspect that character and personality wise Stockley may well be best fit as Captain.
    I am slightly more concerned with the implication that this makes him an automatic pick.
    We know his limitations and we know he is as yet unproven in terms of Garnerball.
    I'd like to think he is droppable if things aren't going well or need mixing up.
  • Options
    Article about Citteee/Pep in today's Times .. De Bruyne is their capitano for the Community Shield game .. then all the staff and players vote for who should be the skipper for the rest of the season ..

'staff' wasn't specified .. could it really include caterers, security, cleaners, groundsmen et al ? .. a neighbour of mine's niece is a secretary at Citeeee .. he tells me that Pep and the directors take a VERY inclusive approach to ALL the staff , soooooo that could be the case