Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

APPLICATIONS OPEN FOR ADDITIONAL FAN ADVISER

The club are looking to add at least one supporter to work with Charlton’s Fan Adviser Lucy Bishop.
Supporters who would like to be considered for the voluntary role should email a short description of why they would be a good candidate to fanadviser@cafc.co.uk by 5pm on August 11th, 2022.
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/applications-open-additional-fan-adviser

Comments

• Options
    I think whoever was second favourite for the job originally should be asked if he/she is interested.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:
    Answering emails even with an one liner if you don’t know the answers to the questions would be a starter. 

Common courtesy is a must 
    Part of the problem is, is this is a voluntary role and Lucy, I believe, has a full time job. I suspect that's why they are looking for further help.

I know from my time on the CAST board (for which there were between 8 and 10 of us at any given time) sometimes you just don't have enough hours in the day when things get hectic although with 8+ you tended to be able to get there.

I really think the club should make this a full time, paid, role or at least part of someone's job. Relying on volunteers is always going to be an issue, but maybe if the workload is spread it'll improve. I notice it says 'at least one' so maybe having a few will help, but that dilutes the role responsibilities.

I think there is also confusion as to what the role really entails, my view always was it was a fan advising the club not a fan advising (or answerable to) fans.
    The original idea was a fan advising the club.
    Maybe if the club had not got rid of Dan Burke [Fan Liaison officer] there would be no need for an additional volunteer fan advisor, nobody seems to know the what the difference is between the two roles.
    My thoughts exactly, clive.
  • Options
    I think whoever was second favourite for the job originally should be asked if he/she is interested.
    You should apply.
  • Options
    The original job description

Charlton are looking for a fan to help build the club’s communication structure with supporters and to aid with the growth of the club’s fanbase.

The individual will work with the club’s owner Thomas Sandgaard and Commercial Director Wayne Mumford. 

Sandgaard said: “As I experienced even before I took over the club, Charlton has a fantastic fanbase, full of knowledgeable and passionate supporters, who have fought to save their club; both in the past, fighting to get the club back to The Valley, and recently, protecting the club from the likes of Chris Farnell.

“How we talk with fans and engage supporters is very important to how we grow as a club, which is why I want to get someone involved who really knows and understands the fanbase – who better than a Charlton fan?”

Mumford said: “I really appreciate the way the fans have welcomed Thomas and I to the club. I know I’ve enjoyed my first few months at Charlton and it has been enjoyable learning more about this great club and getting to know some of the fans involved.

“Thomas and I still have a lot to learn about this club, which is why we are looking for a fan adviser. The individual will help us as we work with established and new supporter groups, to build a communication structure that allows us to speak with supporters and grow the club’s fanbase both domestically and internationally.”  

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/91093/charlton-on-search-for-fan-to-help-club-engage-with-supporters-lucy-bishop-appointed-pg-4/p1

• Options
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:
    Answering emails even with an one liner if you don’t know the answers to the questions would be a starter. 

Part of the problem is, is this is a voluntary role and Lucy, I believe, has a full time job. I suspect that's why they are looking for further help.

I know from my time on the CAST board (for which there were between 8 and 10 of us at any given time) sometimes you just don't have enough hours in the day when things get hectic although with 8+ you tended to be able to get there.

I really think the club should make this a full time, paid, role or at least part of someone's job. Relying on volunteers is always going to be an issue, but maybe if the workload is spread it'll improve. I notice it says 'at least one' so maybe having a few will help, but that dilutes the role responsibilities.

I think there is also confusion as to what the role really entails, my view always was it was a fan advising the club not a fan advising (or answerable to) fans.
    Maybe if the club had not got rid of Dan Burke [Fan Liaison officer] there would be no need for an additional volunteer fan advisor, nobody seems to know the what the difference is between the two roles.
    Totally agree, but an awful lot of people seem to think it's the other way (hence the very first reply talking about getting a reply to a fan email).

The fan advisor isn't there to respond to fans. I may be doing Lucy an injustice but fail to see anything she has done on behalf of fans really.

It was a completely non sensical role to start with.
  • Options
    You should apply.
    I had applied originally but withdrew from the offer of an interview when I realised it was an unpaid role.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Call me cynical but it seems to me as though basically look for volunteers to take admin work that would otherwise a paid admin role
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

Totally agree, but an awful lot of people seem to think it's the other way (hence the very first reply talking about getting a reply to a fan email).

The fan advisor isn't there to respond to fans. I may be doing Lucy an injustice but fail to see anything she has done on behalf of fans really.

I don't understand why Lucy just did not point fans in the direction of Dan Burke or whoever was the fans liaison officer at the time, rather than getting involved with fans in the first place.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

I don't understand why Lucy just did not point fans in the direction of Dan Burke or whoever was the fans liaison officer at the time, rather than getting involved with fans in the first place.
    Maybe she was unclear of the role. I'm sure I've seen numerous times from the club comments to email the fan advisor (after all she has an email address and twitter account!)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

One email yeah ok, fair enough. But when it’s on 3 separate emails on different matters it does make you think has anyone had a reply to any email sent in. 

I have seen her reply on twitter to questions asked so she does not totally blank everything. Maybe someone runs the email account on her behalf? 

• Options
    From the EFL website

It is a requirement for each Club to appoint a Supporter Liaison Officer (SLO) and the creation of the role has helped to formalise fan engagement processes, to strategically assist in enhancing communication between Clubs and their supporters.
    https://www.efl.com/supporters/information-and-guidance/supporter-liaison/
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

One email yeah ok, fair enough. But when it’s on 3 separate emails on different matters it does make you think has anyone had a reply to any email sent in. 

I have seen her reply on twitter to questions asked so she does not totally blank everything. Maybe someone runs the email account on her behalf? 

I think you miss the point, the role was never there to reply to fans, so why they invite people to email/tweet them etc I've no idea.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

I think you miss the point, the role was never there to reply to fans, so why they invite people to email/tweet them etc I've no idea.
    You have just answered your own question right there then in your second part. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    You cannot run a football club on volunteers Thomas
    Or should TS utilise the knowledge and experience within the fan base?
  • Options
    Just been shown the replies to this on twitter…
    😂😂Grown men….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    cafc999 said:
    Wayne Mumford was getting there on that score but he’s now left the building 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    cafc999 said:
    You think he’s good at listening?
    No, was just slightly amused that he’s being told he shouldn’t use volunteers, the opposite of what others have said he should be doing. Shows there’s not always a clear way some things have to be done.
  • Options
    Another example of why simple is best & the "necessity" to complicate things is unnecessary.

Some of us felt that TS was trying to bring too many "American ways" into the running of an English football club with decisions seemingly made in some instances by committee as opposed to a pertinent department with a member of the SMT heading it....and ideally some previous experience of the subject in case. 

"Too many cooks" was my initial comment on, I believe the first glimpse into his modus operandi with the benefits of buying season tickets over 12 months ago. 

Look how successful that turned out !

TBH, we were only too eager to help out at our club in the past, including with the seat cleaning pre season but regardless of the fact that we're now too doddery to repeat that exercise, the inclination to volunteer at the present time has 100% dwindled. 

Especially as that project would be under the "evil eye" of You Know Who.....:-)
  • Options
    I wonder how many applicants they had last time round?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    what’s the point TS doesn’t listen anyway.
  • Options
    Circa 150
  • Options
    Word on the street is one was a former Champions League winner but after considering the position it was felt the time was not right.
    Martin is now going to suggest we look at league 2 advisors.......
  • Options
    @RonnieMoore this is your big chance