Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

APPLICATIONS OPEN FOR ADDITIONAL FAN ADVISER

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    cafc999 said:
    You cannot run a football club on volunteers Thomas
    Or should TS utilise the knowledge and experience within the fan base?
    You think he’s good at listening?
    what’s the point TS doesn’t listen anyway.
    If you have the same opinion as him he’s all ears 
  • Options
    Is this a 'Premier League ready' appointments? 
  • Options
    Looks very much like Dan Burke's paid role being replaced by another part-time volunteer. Part of the ongoing cost reductions I guess. If you need someone to give this full consideration it should be a full time, paid role for one person. Splitting it between two volunteers who have other priorities and whose spare time is precious won't help. Hard not to see that it's been a box-ticking exercise thus far with little more than attendance at Fans Forum meetings and a few Tweets now and then. 
  • Options
    Looks very much like Dan Burke's paid role being replaced by another part-time volunteer. Part of the ongoing cost reductions I guess. If you need someone to give this full consideration it should be a full time, paid role for one person. Splitting it between two volunteers who have other priorities and whose spare time is precious won't help. Hard not to see that it's been a box-ticking exercise thus far with little more than attendance at Fans Forum meetings and a few Tweets now and then. 
    The club appointed a new paid fan engagement officer last week called Jonny Lappert.

I liked Dan and thought he was doing a good job, from my perspective, and would have kept him on but he's not being replaced by this volunteer
  • Options
    The club appointed a new paid fan engagement officer last week called Jonny Lappert.

I liked Dan and thought he was doing a good job, from my perspective, and would have kept him on but he's not being replaced by this volunteer
    Lisa Squires is listed as the Supporters Liaison Officer on the EFL website, so is Jonny Lappert carrying out that role?
    https://www.efl.com/contentassets/fa81997ab61b4a0093a823f5e6d7b277/updated-efl-slo-directory_2022_23.pdf
  • Options
    clive said:
    The original job description

Charlton are looking for a fan to help build the club’s communication structure with supporters and to aid with the growth of the club’s fanbase.

The individual will work with the club’s owner Thomas Sandgaard and Commercial Director Wayne Mumford. 

Sandgaard said: “As I experienced even before I took over the club, Charlton has a fantastic fanbase, full of knowledgeable and passionate supporters, who have fought to save their club; both in the past, fighting to get the club back to The Valley, and recently, protecting the club from the likes of Chris Farnell.

“How we talk with fans and engage supporters is very important to how we grow as a club, which is why I want to get someone involved who really knows and understands the fanbase – who better than a Charlton fan?”

Mumford said: “I really appreciate the way the fans have welcomed Thomas and I to the club. I know I’ve enjoyed my first few months at Charlton and it has been enjoyable learning more about this great club and getting to know some of the fans involved.

“Thomas and I still have a lot to learn about this club, which is why we are looking for a fan adviser. The individual will help us as we work with established and new supporter groups, to build a communication structure that allows us to speak with supporters and grow the club’s fanbase both domestically and internationally.”  

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/91093/charlton-on-search-for-fan-to-help-club-engage-with-supporters-lucy-bishop-appointed-pg-4/p1

I don't understand from this what they are looking for. Maybe the words quoted here give a clue as to why emails aren't answered. "help build the club’s communication structure with supporters and to aid with the growth of the club’s fanbase" 

Building a communication structure isn't 'Liason'. And answering emails isn't 'Building a communication structure'. What they have stated there sounds more like an organisation design role - the clues are in the words build and structure. Although further down in the quotes it sounds more like they want someone who will give them customer insights. Again, that's not liaison per se.

Organisation design, customer insights and fan liaison are all important tasks, but they probably shouldn't all sit with the same person and certainly not an unpaid volunteer. 

I suspect what's really happened though is that they've thrown in a bit of business bullshit to make the job sound more important and confused matters in the process. If the job is responding to emails, then say that. If you've asked for structures to be built, don't expect someone to put their energies into directly answering fans questions. The two are not the same.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    clive said:
    The original job description

Charlton are looking for a fan to help build the club’s communication structure with supporters and to aid with the growth of the club’s fanbase.

The individual will work with the club’s owner Thomas Sandgaard and Commercial Director Wayne Mumford. 

Sandgaard said: “As I experienced even before I took over the club, Charlton has a fantastic fanbase, full of knowledgeable and passionate supporters, who have fought to save their club; both in the past, fighting to get the club back to The Valley, and recently, protecting the club from the likes of Chris Farnell.

“How we talk with fans and engage supporters is very important to how we grow as a club, which is why I want to get someone involved who really knows and understands the fanbase – who better than a Charlton fan?”

Mumford said: “I really appreciate the way the fans have welcomed Thomas and I to the club. I know I’ve enjoyed my first few months at Charlton and it has been enjoyable learning more about this great club and getting to know some of the fans involved.

“Thomas and I still have a lot to learn about this club, which is why we are looking for a fan adviser. The individual will help us as we work with established and new supporter groups, to build a communication structure that allows us to speak with supporters and grow the club’s fanbase both domestically and internationally.”  

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/91093/charlton-on-search-for-fan-to-help-club-engage-with-supporters-lucy-bishop-appointed-pg-4/p1

I don't understand from this what they are looking for. Maybe the words quoted here give a clue as to why emails aren't answered. "help build the club’s communication structure with supporters and to aid with the growth of the club’s fanbase" 

Building a communication structure isn't 'Liason'. And answering emails isn't 'Building a communication structure'. What they have stated there sounds more like an organisation design role - the clues are in the words build and structure. Although further down in the quotes it sounds more like they want someone who will give them customer insights. Again, that's not liaison per se.

Organisation design, customer insights and fan liaison are all important tasks, but they probably shouldn't all sit with the same person and certainly not an unpaid volunteer. 

I suspect what's really happened though is that they've thrown in a bit of business bullshit to make the job sound more important and confused matters in the process. If the job is responding to emails, then say that. If you've asked for structures to be built, don't expect someone to put their energies into directly answering fans questions. The two are not the same.
    i think the confusion is pretty indicative of the way the business is operating. Hence my scepticism.
  • Options
    Talks are in place with the Swindon Towns fans adviser
  • Options
    Surely Acworth is a shoe-in?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sadly it’s currently a hiring to nothing.  You can see thst by the majority of responses in here.

we need to get the product right on the pitch first to bring at least a modicum of positivity to the fan base before this role would be anything other than pissing in the wind 
  • Options
    It seems to me the role needs clarifying. Surely it is a good idea for fans views to be cordinated and relayed and discussed with the club. Not sure why some people fans shouldn't contact the fan adviser as otherwise how does she gauge what is important to fans other than the small circle of people she knows or mixes with. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Lisa Squires is listed as the Supporters Liaison Officer on the EFL website, so is Jonny Lappert carrying out that role?
    https://www.efl.com/contentassets/fa81997ab61b4a0093a823f5e6d7b277/updated-efl-slo-directory_2022_23.pdf
    Too many cooks ! 

I rest my case.

BTW, there's also the FF meetings where fans' issues can be put onto the agenda & discussed,  especially now that TS is always in attendance. 

Surely that process should be highlighted with fans informed that they should email one of the reps onboard to include their issues next time round. After all, volunteers are there to be a conduit between fans & the club where the appropriate dept takes the issue forward...Isn't that what staff are paid for ? 

Quantity not quality appears to be our owner's maxim ( No offence whatsoever meant to any of those mentioned above ) 

I have NO idea who I would need to reach out to if I had an issue of some kind.
  • Options
    redman said:
    It seems to me the role needs clarifying. Surely it is a good idea for fans views to be cordinated and relayed and discussed with the club. Not sure why some people fans shouldn't contact the fan adviser as otherwise how does she gauge what is important to fans other than the small circle of people she knows or mixes with. 
    Maybe the fans could pick their own representative/s? They could even form an organisation and call it, I don’t know, a supporters’ trust?
  • Options
    clive said:

She was the Facilities Manager not long ago so doubling up roles or all change!!
  • Options

• Options
    redman said:
    I emailed the club twice about something important to me that needs updating, after not even getting a reply I have emailed the fan rep twice, also no response.
  • Options
    I think whoever was second favourite for the job originally should be asked if he/she is interested.
    You should apply.
    I had applied originally but withdrew from the offer of an interview when I realised it was an unpaid role.
    Bullshit……you failed the height test!
  • Options
    I would like to apply to be official Club Satirist
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weird that theyve picked already, enail deadline is tomorrow at 5pm lol. Club can't even organise a 48 hour application window.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I’d like to apply for head cheerleader, as long as I can wear my mini skirt and get my Pom poms out!!
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Weird that theyve picked already, enail deadline is tomorrow at 5pm lol. Club can't even organise a 48 hour application window.
    Different job role. They still want an assistant for the fans adviser. Which would bring the total up to 5 with both roles combined 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shine166 said:
    Different job role. They still want an assistant for the fans adviser. Which would bring the total up to 5 with both roles combined 
    Gotcha, that's a lot of cooks
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shine166 said:
    Gotcha, that's a lot of cooks
    Sadly not unique to Charlton. Confused roles and responsibilities and complex and inefficient structures are often far worse in larger organisations and poorly explained. 

Who of us at work hasn’t criticised on similar problems?

Doesn’t make it right of course and it should be simple to fix but…

In the words of Spandau Ballet ‘communication let me down’ 😆
  • Options
    I think whoever was second favourite for the job originally should be asked if he/she is interested.
    You should apply.
    I had applied originally but withdrew from the offer of an interview when I realised it was an unpaid role.
    Bullshit……you failed the height test!
    How short are you?
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    I’d like to apply for head cheerleader, as long as I can wear my mini skirt and get my Pom poms out!!
    You'd get the job.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    You'd get the job.
    Thanks, that’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me🤣, I’ve Always got the vibe you’d like to see me in a mini skirt!! 😜, to be honest I wouldn’t wish my Pom poms on anyone!!  I’d get sacked a week later for over exuberance. 👍
  • Options
    clive said:
    ‘bumper crowd expected Saturday’ - lol.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I read that as “official club satanist”