Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 22/23

Comments

• Options
    Newcastle's compared to City was quite interesting too.
  • Options
    I see levy wants to go down the data route that Brighton and Brentford have taken. Im not saying it’s wrong but crazy to me when you consider the potential of that club. He’s such a tight prick.
    Spurs were actually at the cutting edge of data recruitment, but binned it.

The guy that ran it went to Liverpool and signed Jordan Henderson and Stuart Downing because they were the best two wingers in the league.  Doesn't always work does it? 
  • Options
    I see levy wants to go down the data route that Brighton and Brentford have taken. Im not saying it’s wrong but crazy to me when you consider the potential of that club. He’s such a tight prick.
    He is tight but it's not the worst idea.

If we're being realistic Spurs can't compete for players with City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and now probably Newcastle. 

So they're either fighting for left overs with Aston Villa and or they need a new plan. Going down the route that Brighton and Brentford go could potentially give them an edge because if they spot the same player then they can offer higher wages and transfer fees than those 2 clubs. Obviously will take them a while though as those 2 clubs have a tried and tested system already in place.

Alternatively they could just put a memo out to all agents to 'let us know when Brighton bid for someone and we'll beat their offer'.
  • Options
    He is tight but it's not the worst idea.

If we're being realistic Spurs can't compete for players with City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and now probably Newcastle. 

So they're either fighting for left overs with Aston Villa and or they need a new plan. Going down the route that Brighton and Brentford go could potentially give them an edge because if they spot the same player then they can offer higher wages and transfer fees than those 2 clubs. Obviously will take them a while though as those 2 clubs have a tried and tested system already in place.

Alternatively they could just put a memo out to all agents to 'let us know when Brighton bid for someone and we'll beat their offer'.
    Or... perhaps our multi billionaire owner Joe Lewis could actually put some money in...

The net spend by ENIC over the 21 years of their ownerships only amounts to an an average of under £20m a season. (I'll have to dig out my trusty ENIC transfer spreadsheet again!)

That would be too easy wouldnt it?
    But hey, Joe's bought a lovely new £25m painting for his super yacht.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    @JohnBoyUK - Going on the assumption Kane leaves what would your prediction for how next season goes for Spurs? Does there look like any strategy towards building a team without Kane. Plus, is Son good enough to do it alone without Kane. 

Currently 11/2 for a bottom half finish. Trying to understand what improvements could be done if Kane leaves.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Why don't you just start a "things that piss SELR off" thread ?

You can moan about everything there, because I haven't ever seen you post anything positive about anything.
  • Options
    Good on Brighton.  In Europe.  Amazing how they played against City.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely delighted for Brighton supporters 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • Options
    Yeah happy for them. They play awesome football. De Zerbi was a brilliant appointment. There really are some good young coaches out there, hopefully other teams take notice instead of the dinosaur merry go round.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Good on Brighton.  In Europe.  Amazing how they played against City.
    Absolutely fantastic achievement. And thoroughly deserved for the football they play. 

It does make me laugh though the way Sky's commentators and pundits make such a big thing about Brighton needing that one point to qualify for Europe - when exactly was the last time a goal difference between two teams of 16 was turned around in a couple of games?
  • Options
    Gotta doff your cap to the Seagulls. I thought they'd fall off a cliff after Potter moved on but the opposite has happened. De Zerbi was an inspired replacement and fair play to whoever identified him. 
  • Options
    When one sees Tony Bloom and all he has achieved for Brighton since he became owner it really does bring it home how far behind them we now are. Just 12 years ago we were both in League 1. We are still there and they are now  finishing 6th in the PL and in Europe next season. More than that though, they have an owner who is a Brighton fanatic. We have had one fanatic after another fanatic but their interests in being owner could not be further divorced from those of the fans. Here's hoping that changes sooner rather than later.  
  • Options
    Addick Addict said: hi
    When one sees Tony Bloom and all he has achieved for Brighton since he became owner it really does bring it home how far behind them we now are. Just 12 years ago we were both in League 1. We are still there and they are now  finishing 6th in the PL and in Europe next season. More than that though, they have an owner who is a Brighton fanatic. We have had one fanatic after another fanatic but their interests in being owner could not be further divorced from those of the fans. Here's hoping that changes sooner rather than later.  
    It is not just being fanatical that has got Tony Bloom and Brighton where they are. He is a very astute, successful businessman who knows how to run a business. 
  • Options
    Yeah happy for them. They play awesome football. De Zerbi was a brilliant appointment. There really are some good young coaches out there, hopefully other teams take notice instead of the dinosaur merry go round.
    Could honestly see him replacing Pep at City in a couple of years if he continues to do well and doesn't move to another team before then.
  • Options
    The sponsorship deal is for a rumoured 25-30m a year, which is extremely fair for a well supported Premier league side now playing Champions league.

Far less than all of the 'big 6' and less than half of what the likes of PSG, Real and Barca get. 

Nothing to see here, it's a nonsense article.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I am not a fan of sports washing, that should be obvious but where do you draw the line?

How many clubs down the league do you have to go before you get to an owner that no one could have any moral objection to?

See that little 'state-owned' mention. Probably have the line next to that. 
    It will be interesting to see if the co-owner of the Clearlake group at Chelsea can light their fire? If so it could be a Feliz Navidade in west London this year...   
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK - Going on the assumption Kane leaves what would your prediction for how next season goes for Spurs? Does there look like any strategy towards building a team without Kane. Plus, is Son good enough to do it alone without Kane. 

Currently 11/2 for a bottom half finish. Trying to understand what improvements could be done if Kane leaves.
    Prediction?  Oh heck, where to start.

We need a manager.
    Looks like Slot is staying at Feyenoord.

Its going to be Brendan Rodgers isnt it?!  FML.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Prediction?  Oh heck, where to start.

We need a manager.
    Looks like Slot is staying at Feyenoord.

Its going to be Brendan Rodgers isnt it?!  FML.
    There's some doubts over whether Lopetegui will remain at Wolves because they have financial issues and need to sell (which he wasn't told and isn't happy about). I think given his experience he might not be a bad shout for you, he's done really well there given they were bottom of the league at one point.

Although to be fair your last experience of a manager from Wolves didn't go well.
  • Options
    Its laughable isn't it?

We all know he spoke to Tottenham yesterday.  So what did Levy say to him to make him change his mind?  Kane is going? no money for transfers but you can keep Eric Dier?

@SouthWest_Addicks, that 11/2 looks good value now.
  • Options
    To be fair it was always doubtful whether he'd want to leave Feyenoord having just won the league and being in the CL next season. Plus they've just given him a new contract to stay.

I'd guess the biggest issue for you right now is it's highly unlikely any manager agrees to take over without knowing who your new sporting director will be.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Van Nistelrooy leaving PSG (fallout with the board apparently), wonder if Spurs might go for a different Dutchman.

Cheap option given no compensation, won a cup this year, bit of a same in England.

Thought he might be going to Feyenood to replace Slot but maybe not.
  • Options
    So Man United want Kane, Rice and Mount. My estimate for the three would be £270m. Are you a buyer or seller at that?
  • Options
    So Man United want Kane, Rice and Mount. My estimate for the three would be £270m. Are you a buyer or seller at that?
    They should go for Kane and Rice. Not sure they really need Mount as where will he play when they have Rashford and Fernandes? But i could understand signing him for strengthening the squad.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Not sure they need Rice either, I really rate him but would him and Casemiro work?

Feel like the money would be better spent elsewhere, a younger version of Eriksen who can be the link between Casemiro and Fernandes, a keeper, a striker or two etc.

And I think Mount is a decent player but not worth the money Chelsea will ask for, especially with only a year left on his contract. 

Can imagine that one ending up a but like Van De Beek too, where he's a decent player but then signs as probably back up to a couple of other players and never quite gets a run in the side.
  • Options
    They should go for Kane and Rice. Not sure they really need Mount as where will he play when they have Rashford and Fernandes? But i could understand signing him for strengthening the squad.
    Not sure they need Rice either, I really rate him but would him and Casemiro work?

Feel like the money would be better spent elsewhere, a younger version of Eriksen who can be the link between Casemiro and Fernandes, a keeper, a striker or two etc.

And I think Mount is a decent player but jot worth the money Chelsea will ask for, especially with only a year left on his contract.
    I mentioned on another thread that I had calculated, by the time Fernandes plays in Portugal's two qualifiers in June, he will have made 214 appearances in the last three years. Some players don't even do that in a career! I am struggling to find anyone who has ever successfully ever done that in Europe (I am not convinced that even Messi and Ronaldo have even done so) especially as he has probably played at least 80 minutes in probably 95% of those games. Perhaps that is why they are going for Mount - to play mainly in those less important matches - because Fernandes cannot carry on playing 70 plus games a year without something giving.
  • Options
    Yeah you might be right on him being backup to Fernandes.  Expensive backup though!!

Keeps the homegrown quota up too I guess, especially if they sell Maguire, maybe McTominay too, and quietly loan out Mason Greenwood somewhere.
  • Options
    Mount won't be going to Man U to be Fernandes' back up

"Mason, Bruno will play against City, Liverpool and Barcelona, but don't worry as you'll be in the side when we play Luton and Sheffield United."