Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Wow, just wow. Very moving, 
  • Options
    Yup and the thick sods will keep on until they get their Bassini or Southall
  • Options
    Absolutely shocking. Not got much time for Scally but he’s done well for Gillingham and they should be ashamed to have driven him to this.
  • Options
    Social Media is just a cesspit now.

BBC tweeted about the death threats Michael Masi (F1 Director) received after the farce @ Abu Dhabi last year - Amount of vile scum who were saying the threats were justified as Masi just shouldn't have made the mistake in the first place...

All of them of course hiding behind celebrity or random profile pictures

The likes of twitter etc. are a great tool to keep up to date with events, before CharltonTV came along, it was the best way to paint a picture of a Charlton game for example, what with the Official account, and Louis Mendez providing updates.

Just because humans are entitled to their opinion, they often shouldn't be given a platform to voice it
  • Options
    Great thought-provoking message but it doesn't apply to us because we're a bigger club and should expect better.
    I think we have our own fans on Twitter who have no qualms about abusing other fans and officials of the club.
  • Options
    Something need to be done ( I have no idea how ) to stop people being able to open fake profile accounts. Maybe an ID should be required and then it might make people think before mouthing off.

Musk was bang on the money re his takeover when he tried to get to the bottom of the number of real profiles I suspect there are significant numbers of fakes
  • Options
    Never had much time for Mr Scally and that was purely due to football rivalry, he didn't seem to like my football club and I certainly objected to that.  However this story is shocking and I wish him all the best away from what can be a poisonous environment that is laid open and where decency for our fellow man is vulnerable to the worst of the internet and social media.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Twitter is an awful place 
  • Options
    He says he has suffered a "relentless level of extreme personal abuse" from "a small, mindless but vocal group of individuals who have generally used the 'safety' of social media and other forums to pursue their hateful and malicious campaigns".

So Gillingham’s equivalent of this forum for example then. 

Is this abuse any different to when we wanting Duchatelet out of the club? 

Not for a minute saying it’s right for Scally to put with the constant abuse and for him enough was enough but for me it’s no different when we wanted the Belgian out. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Something need to be done ( I have no idea how ) to stop people being able to open fake profile accounts. Maybe an ID should be required and then it might make people think before mouthing off.

Musk was bang on the money re his takeover when he tried to get to the bottom of the number of real profiles I suspect there are significant numbers of fakes
    In China, you have to register for all social media with your ID.

The Western mind sees this as an infringement of liberty....

But...at what price that liberty?
  • Options
    I believe Paul Scally has had some health problems in recent years so he may not be as resilient as one would expect.

My dealings with him over the years have been good I have to say although I know of others who would say differently.
  • Options
    I knew Paul Scally long before he took over Gillingham and while he was trying to get in with the spanners. In my dealings with him, I found him to a really good bloke. I don’t think he ever recovered from the loss of his young son from an accident at home and grief has a different effect on everyone. His dad was also my deputy head master at my secondary school.
  • Options
    Warned the EFL about Nimer as he knew him from Dubai and knew he had no money. 
  • Options
    I knew Scally at school and we were in the same class.  He was never short of a few words, but was actually a good laugh.   

Never saw him again after school but was not surprised he made a lot of money.  

Business and success seems to have turned him into a bit of a prat, but he doesn’t deserve the shit he seems to have received.   

• Options
    edited August 2022
    shirty5 said:
    He says he has suffered a "relentless level of extreme personal abuse" from "a small, mindless but vocal group of individuals who have generally used the 'safety' of social media and other forums to pursue their hateful and malicious campaigns".

Not for a minute saying it’s right for Scally to put with the constant abuse and for him enough was enough but for me it’s no different when we wanted the Belgian out. 
    My take on this is that Paul Scally is giving an honest account of the effect online social Media abuse has had on his life, his family and friends, his love for the Club, and his mental health.

I'm not entirely sure of the relevance of your comparison.  If, as you suggest, it's no different to us wanting Roland out, I don't see how that makes any difference to what Paul Scally has been through and what he's been driven to do. 

We don't know exactly what the abuse suffered was, so how can you liken the two, or are you simply saying that different people will have different levels of tolerance before they snap.

I don't think I've fully grasped the point you're making.
  • Options
    That statement is a very sobering read.

Whilst social media can be - and frequently is - an excellent communication tool, there is no way I would contemplate being on Twitter or the like if I was a high profile figure. There are just too may trolls and idiots out there itching to hurl abuse and ill-informed and mindless criticism. How much of what they come out with online would they be prepared to say to the recipient's face ? 

That is a very articulate and heartfelt statement from Paul Scally and I really do feel for him and his family. 
  • Options
    Victim of the state of the world we live in. 

Huge number of people hiding behind a keyboard dishing out unwanted and mostly unwarranted vitriol. 

Don't know if there's an answer to this other than the big brother is watching you approach which wouldn't be a world any of us would encourage. 

Sad, I hope he regains the love for the club he has put so much effort into.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont see how having to provide ID in order to set up an account is evasive to our freedom. I think it's more a case of companies like Twitter not being arsed to stop the fake profiles. More profiles registered mean higher revenues whether they are real or not doesnt matter.
    The people that set up these profiles and then use it to dish out abuse must be very sad individuals imo
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    AndyG said:

In China, you have to register for all social media with your ID.

The Western mind sees this as an infringement of liberty....

But...at what price that liberty?
    Helps them silence or disappear you if you post anything that contravenes the mandated view on matters I suppose.

Should absolutely not take direction on China on such matters and I'm glad the "western mind" is such a staunch proponent of liberty and freedom of thought and expression.

(Albeit there should be some accountability to assist in preventing loathsome trolling).

• Options
    I've always thought if posters posted in real names on here they'd be less ascerbic exchanges. However having seen Facebook over the years I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Very sad that people can hide behind social media and drive someone to this. We should be very careful as we have our fair share of the aforementioned idiots
    The two most disgraceful examples are thankfully banned from CL……but sadly post elsewhere.
  • Options
    Warned the EFL about Nimer as he knew him from Dubai and knew he had no money. 
    did we ever get confirmation he was the illegitimate son of a sheikh? Would make sense if he had difficulty showing how he had some money.
  • Options
    I've always thought if posters posted in real names on here they'd be less ascerbic exchanges. However having seen Facebook over the years I'm not so sure.
    You're probably right Mr Trotta, but wouldn't it all be a bit "more tea vicar" and "after you Claude" if you know what I mean. I wonder if we have any Claude's on here!

I'm deeply shocked to hear you doubt my authenticity as a Swordfish.😎
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    shirty5 said:

My take on this is that Paul Scally is giving an honest account of the effect online social Media abuse has had on his life, his family and friends, his love for the Club, and his mental health.

I'm not entirely sure of the relevance of your comparison.  If, as you suggest, it's no different to us wanting Roland out, I don't see how that makes any difference to what Paul Scally has been through and what he's been driven to do. 

We don't know exactly what the abuse suffered was, so how can you liken the two, or are you simply saying that different people will have different levels of tolerance before they snap.

“For the last couple of months, I’ve had extreme abuse, I’ve had criminal offences committed against myself, and I’m disappointed about governance in sport, that none of the governing bodies contacted me and stood up for the fact that things are not allowed, that’s one step too far,”

“I also ask the governing bodies in this country, that sometimes some of the fans have crossed the line, very far, and this is just acceptable. It’s been reported by the media as it’s normal and it’s actually not, and the governing bodies have a responsibility to make people aware that that is not what sport is about’

Above is an example of a former CEO of abuse suffered back at the time. People react in different ways. 

Again I will say it’s not right what’s happened to Scally via social media or banners flown across his home ground. In my opinion the banner is no different to the bedsheet one 

As he says this is a small and vocal group of individuals and not the whole fanbase of Gillingham but we had the same when individuals went out to Belgium and knocked on the parents door of a club employee. That was frowned upon by many on here as going too far and rightly so. 

Scally could possibly have a case of harassment against this small minority but that’s his decision if he wishes to take that forward.

For his own sake fingers crossed that he will find a buyer for his club and move on. 

• Options
    edited August 2022
    shirty5 said:
    swordfish said:
    shirty5 said:

“For the last couple of months, I’ve had extreme abuse, I’ve had criminal offences committed against myself, and I’m disappointed about governance in sport, that none of the governing bodies contacted me and stood up for the fact that things are not allowed, that’s one step too far,”

“I also ask the governing bodies in this country, that sometimes some of the fans have crossed the line, very far, and this is just acceptable. It’s been reported by the media as it’s normal and it’s actually not, and the governing bodies have a responsibility to make people aware that that is not what sport is about’

Above is an example of a former CEO of abuse suffered back at the time. People react in different ways. 

Again I will say it’s not right what’s happened to Scally via social media or banners flown across his home ground. In my opinion the banner is no different to the bedsheet one 

As he says this is a small and vocal group of individuals and not the whole fanbase of Gillingham but we had the same when individuals went out to Belgium and knocked on the parents door of a club employee. That was frowned upon by many on here as going too far and rightly so. 

Scally could possibly have a case of harassment against this small minority but that’s his decision if he wishes to take that forward.

For his own sake fingers crossed that he will find a buyer for his club and move on. 

It'd unfortunate for him that he's in a situation where it's for him to have to pursue. As an earlier poster alluded to, the focus for the authorities should be on doing something at the front end to prevent it from happening in the first place, deterring those inclined to behave in this way, rather than pushing the responsibility for obtaining redress onto the victims after the fact when they've already suffered all the heartache that goes with it.

I agree with your comments about some individuals also taking things too far at times in RD's case, although I don't agree with attempts to restrict people's rights to peacefully, or noisily for that matter, protest. I'm not suggesting you do either BTW.

Of course with RD we still have the spectre of him looming large in the background until we can recover our prized assets back from him. A few on here have reflected of late that the success in removing him seems a bit hollow with the benefit of hindsight, but I maintain he'd have sold anyway because of the losses, so the fan led activism was just one factor that helped nudge him closer to the door.