Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ancestry DNA genealogy

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    I’ve got 48 first cousins. I’m too scared to do it as I do not need any more family! 

Tho I’m sure it would be fascinating.
    That's mad!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I love how precise they can identify communities, this is from my uncle’s results. My Irish ancestors married within the area the test picked out, South Central Cork.

Which service did you use. I’ve done 23&me here in the US, and it was good on my mothers side of the family, but quite a bit off on my father. It rank Cornwall as 9th possible area. Apart from the fact he was from Devon, which didn’t get a mention at all, we know his parents and grandparents were all from the same small town. 

It did get me thinking about genealogy, and spend a day going down a rabbit hole.  Knew my mothers side, but very little about my father. We knew he’d been married twice - it turns out it was three times.  I knew he had a brother - in fact he had two and a sister. And following that I found out my now deceased cousin via the unknown brother was a Rear Admiral in the Royal Navy and for a time Commodore of Devonport Naval Base. 
    If he was from an area in Devon not too far from the River Tamar boundary, it's quite possible Cornish ancestry will show up.

In any case, Cornwall, Devon and West Somerset were all one kingdom in Celtic times, the kingdom of Dumnonia (from which modern day Devon derives it's name)-  the people speaking the same Brythonic language.

People generally never moved far from their birthplace and families until relatively recent times.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Did my tree and subsequently DNA, nothing earth shattering on the DNA front, a bit of Norway, 25% Irish (which I knew), no mysterious children came out of the woodwork!

I did find out why I had sea legs though, all my family from great grandfather back were lifeboat men. Answers why when coming back over the bay of Biscay in a force 9 it was only me and the chef (out of about 3,000 people) who weren't in their room, including the Dr!

This guy was my great great great great Grandad;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Haylett

Weirdly a little village in Norfolk that we've holidayed at maybe 15 times happens to be where they are all from and buried. I dint know until about the 10th visit!
    Ever wondered why you keep being drawn to a place but don't know why?

Indeed, we first when there on a late booking in the days when you had brochures and it's pretty much what was available in a weeks time. Loved it there ever since, and now know why!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Curb_It said:
    I’ve got 48 first cousins. I’m too scared to do it as I do not need any more family! 

Tho I’m sure it would be fascinating.
    That's mad!
    @KBslittlesis’ story is even madder!!

Is it a Charlton thing? 😉
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I love how precise they can identify communities, this is from my uncle’s results. My Irish ancestors married within the area the test picked out, South Central Cork.

If you ever want to come visit, we’re not far from here 👍🏼

Last count we have 75 first cousins (one of which I only discovered as a result of his death being published on rip.ie last week 😳). There are serious skeletons on our Dads side that’s stopped me from doing it.

But I have recently found out that not only do I have a relative by marriage literally 2miles down the road (his uncle Con married my maternal Grandads sister Elsie) but my maternal Grandfather’s sister Greta married a main from Baltimore (where I now live) they lived in a house a mile down the road & its still owned by their descendants 😳😱

I only moved here for the goat farm. I had never been to this part of Ireland before.

What are the chances 🤷‍♀️😁
    When I found out, from the 1901 census, where my grandad lived as a baby, it turned out to be the flat I bought in 1986.
    That’s crazy! 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Last count we have 75 first cousins (one of which I only discovered as a result of his death being published on rip.ie last week 😳). There are serious skeletons on our Dads side that’s stopped me from doing it.

But I have recently found out that not only do I have a relative by marriage literally 2miles down the road (his uncle Con married my maternal Grandads sister Elsie) but my maternal Grandfather’s sister Greta married a main from Baltimore (where I now live) they lived in a house a mile down the road & its still owned by their descendants 😳😱

I only moved here for the goat farm. I had never been to this part of Ireland before.

When I found out, from the 1901 census, where my grandad lived as a baby, it turned out to be the flat I bought in 1986.
    What???? 😳😳😳😳😳😳
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I live in the town my parents moved to just over 30 years ago and our family had no known connection to it. I later found my great grandmother had a cousin who lived here in 1911.

A few years ago I was showing the family tree to one of my cousins and one of our ancestors from the 1700s was born and married in the village she lives with her family.
  • Options

Had my DNA ethnicity done some years ago when results were not so geographically refined. Now also had it had it broken down between maternal and paternal.
    Paternal side Ulster - Clones and surrounding area. Some Scots (not a surprise as Ulster 'close' to Scotland but also 1%  England/NW Europe.
    Maternal side English/NW Europe with some Scots and Welsh - didn't know about the Scots & Welsh on my Mother's side.

As others have mentioned find out as much as you can now about your families.  I was relatively young when my parents died and wished I had asked them more.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Had my DNA ethnicity done some years ago when results were not so geographically refined. Now also had it had it broken down between maternal and paternal.
    Paternal side Ulster - Clones and surrounding area. Some Scots (not a surprise as Ulster 'close' to Scotland but also 1%  England/NW Europe.
    Maternal side English/NW Europe with some Scots and Welsh - didn't know about the Scots & Welsh on my Mother's side.

As others have mentioned find out as much as you can now about your families.  I was relatively young when my parents died and wished I had asked them more.

It’s interesting that Scotland, Wales & Ireland are all distinct ethnicities, but England gets lumped in with bits of Belgium & France.
  • Options
    Finding this thread very interesting about peeps experience with this DNA testing,having a real small family,through mum & dad splitting up & not seeing me dad for 30+ years been a bit fearsome doing this…but if I were to go ahead,what site or company is the best or are they all sort of same & same price for there services & also are they a one  off payment or is it a subscription thing,thanks  in advance…☺️👍
  • Options
    I use ancestry.co.uk but whether it’s the best I wouldn’t know. Got all I need 
  • Options
    AAjr got his done. 50% Irish - from MsAA. 25% English/NW European and 25% NW India - from me, which fits in with my being told one of my parents was Indian. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

What???? 😳😳😳😳😳😳
    Round the corner from where we lived until I was 5 but still, what are the chances of moving to exactly the same place?
  • Options
    Finding this thread very interesting about peeps experience with this DNA testing,having a real small family,through mum & dad splitting up & not seeing me dad for 30+ years been a bit fearsome doing this…but if I were to go ahead,what site or company is the best or are they all sort of same & same price for there services & also are they a one  off payment or is it a subscription thing,thanks  in advance…☺️👍
    23&me is big in the states, AncestryDNA is big in Europe. I used AncestryDNA, I think the cost was about £60-70. It was a one off payment for the dna, there is a subscription for the record side of the family tree website. I have my family tree on it, but don’t pay the subscription.

I did pay an extra £15 which gave me my dna 🧬 traits. Which was interesting. It said I had genes that elite athletes have along with the sprinter gene. I have always been good at running and always had a kick finish and fast reactions.  It also said my genes suggested that I wouldn’t suffer from hair loss. 😢
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It’s interesting that Scotland, Wales & Ireland are all distinct ethnicities, but England gets lumped in with bits of Belgium & France.
    Remember the Cornish are also an officially classified distinct ethnic minority.

They get lumped in with England too but until relatively recent times were considered by the English (and other nations) as a race distinct from the English.

Like Wales, Cornwall was considered the rump end of the remaining Celtic peoples in mainland Britain, (at least south of the Scottish border).

• Options
    What's the best site to get one of the tests from?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    What's the best site to get one of the tests from?
    Ancestry, they have the largest database of tests taken. You can then download your results and upload to most of the other DNA sites for free (uploads to Ancestry aren’t possible).
  • Options
    What are the rules around these sites sharing the results of your DNA tests?

I keep reading how people did the test then found out they were related to someone else who'd done the test. Who shared that info? Is there a box you tick for that sort of thing, or is it just available to all once you've signed away?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talking of coincidences, I've never been keen on the whole ancestry thing but have a mate who does it as a hobby. He offered to do mine and I said knock yourself out and gave him some basic details. I always kind of guessed I was just a London boy. But it turns out I'm a country bumpkin. Great-great-great-great-grandparents were fishmongers living in a small village in Suffolk. The weird thing is, they lived in the very same street as Mrs cafcfan's uncle.

(Meanwhile everyone in my family  was convinced my Dad's Mum was Irish and I was hoping I could get an Irish passport so I could avoid border queues at airports - turns out she was born in Canning Town!)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Talking of coincidences, I've never been keen on the whole ancestry thing but have a mate who does it as a hobby. He offered to do mine and I said knock yourself out and gave him some basic details. I always kind of guessed I was just a London boy. But it turns out I'm a country bumpkin. Great-great-great-great-grandparents were fishmongers living in a small village in Suffolk. The weird thing is, they lived in the very same street as Mrs cafcfan's uncle.

(Meanwhile everyone in my family  was convinced my Dad's Mum was Irish and I was hoping I could get an Irish passport so I could avoid border queues at airports - turns out she was born in Canning Town!)
    Could be Canningstown in Cavan.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    23&me is big in the states, AncestryDNA is big in Europe. I used AncestryDNA, I think the cost was about £60-70. It was a one off payment for the dna, there is a subscription for the record side of the family tree website. I have my family tree on it, but don’t pay the subscription.

I did pay an extra £15 which gave me my dna 🧬 traits. Which was interesting. It said I had genes that elite athletes have along with the sprinter gene. I have always been good at running and always had a kick finish and fast reactions.  It also said my genes suggested that I wouldn’t suffer from hair loss. 😢
    You won't if you keep it somewhere safe
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

You won't if you keep it somewhere safe
    Well the safe place isn’t on my head.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Could be Canningstown in Cavan.
    I'll check that out - make sure he didn't make a mistake!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I keep reading how people did the test then found out they were related to someone else who'd done the test. Who shared that info? Is there a box you tick for that sort of thing, or is it just available to all once you've signed away?
    I’ve only done 23&Me, but you got to accept/refuse all sorts of things. 

I think I could make everything private, you could not have potential relatives contact you, you could decline seeing the results for some of the medical tests for some of the degenerative conditions, not allow them to use your result in research projects, etc.  

I’d assume they all have similar options. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I think I could make everything private, you could not have potential relatives contact you, you could decline seeing the results for some of the medical tests for some of the degenerative conditions, not allow them to use your result in research projects, etc.  

Thanks. Interesting stuff, but I'm not sure I'd trust them not to misbehave with the data.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Thanks. Interesting stuff, but I'm not sure I'd trust them not to misbehave with the data.
    Genuine question. What would worry you about them having the data and what would you imagine they might do with it ?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Genuine question. What would worry you about them having the data and what would you imagine they might do with it ?
    I'm sure the likes of Cambridge Analytica and their ilk will find some use for it that wasnt what people originally thought they were signing up for. 

If I could turn that question around. Why would you sign up for something without knowing what the info could and couldn't be used for first?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

I'm sure the likes of Cambridge Analytica and their ilk will find some use for it that wasnt what people originally thought they were signing up for. 

If I could turn that question around. Why would you sign up for something without knowing what the info could and couldn't be used for first?
    Thank you for the reply. Fair enough. I suppose I just think there is so much data about me out there already I don’t really care much if a bit more gets out there. I doubt any of that data is completely secure. More important for me to understand my ancestral genetics than worry about a computer nerd knowing I’m 12% Swedish but I do understand what people might not agree.