Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ancestry DNA genealogy

13»

Comments

• Options
    Wouldn't it be fantastic to do a DNA ancestry genealogy check and find you were related to Eddie Firmani! (I wish!)
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be fantastic to do a DNA ancestry genealogy check and find you were related to Eddie Firmani! (I wish!)
    I’d set my heart on Jeff Bezos.
  • Options
    My mate has just received his Ancestry DNA kit which was sent from Germany. The DNA package is to be returned to Kildare in Ireland.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:

Had my DNA ethnicity done some years ago when results were not so geographically refined. Now also had it had it broken down between maternal and paternal.
    Paternal side Ulster - Clones and surrounding area. Some Scots (not a surprise as Ulster 'close' to Scotland but also 1%  England/NW Europe.
    Maternal side English/NW Europe with some Scots and Welsh - didn't know about the Scots & Welsh on my Mother's side.

As others have mentioned find out as much as you can now about your families.  I was relatively young when my parents died and wished I had asked them more.

It’s interesting that Scotland, Wales & Ireland are all distinct ethnicities, but England gets lumped in with bits of Belgium & France.
    Remember the Cornish are also an officially classified distinct ethnic minority.

They get lumped in with England too but until relatively recent times were considered by the English (and other nations) as a race distinct from the English.

Like Wales, Cornwall was considered the rump end of the remaining Celtic peoples in mainland Britain, (at least south of the Scottish border).

I'm 23% Cornish, must be something to do with all that ice cream when I was younger.
  • Options
    Dredging this up to say I finally got mine done and results back. I wanted to do it as my late nan was convinced we had Spanish heritage (for no other reason than she liked Spain when she went there - nutter). She was wrong, obviously. But we do have Scottish which I didn't know about (nan's grandparents most likely). So I'll be drinking more scotch than sangria this summer. 

Everything else in there we knew about (dad with his 100% Welsh DNA, I guess his ancestors weren't lookers). The Norway element would be those cheeky Vikings I'd guess?

Anyone had any weird/unknown results back? 

• Options
    edited July 2023
    EastStand said:
    Dredging this up to say I finally got mine done and results back. I wanted to do it as my late nan was convinced we had Spanish heritage (for no other reason than she liked Spain when she went there - nutter). She was wrong, obviously. But we do have Scottish which I didn't know about (nan's grandparents most likely). So I'll be drinking more scotch than sangria this summer. 

Everything else in there we knew about (dad with his 100% Welsh DNA, I guess his ancestors weren't lookers). The Norway element would be those cheeky Vikings I'd guess?

Not sure how you only got 48% Welsh from you dad if he was 100%. 
  • Options
    I got 0.5% Nigerian which was a big surprise at the time. Since then we've managed to trace it back to an ancestor marrying and bringing a slave from the Americas to the UK, which is something we never knew about!
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Not sure how you only got 48% Welsh from you dad if he was 100%. Ewe need to look into that.
    I think that's her overall result not just her dad.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Not sure how you only got 48% Welsh from you dad if he was 100%. Ewe need to look into that.
    Know ewe are partly joking but each estimate has a range, if you click on one it should show what it is.
  • Options
    My mate did it on his frog, came back 98% frog and a tad pole.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    EastStand said:

I think that's her overall result not just her dad.
    Yeah it says: 

"You may not have inherited certain DNA because
    • DNA inheritance is random, so you don't inherit 50% of your parents' ethnicities
    • at most, only half of someone’s DNA can be passed down
    • beyond your parents, the amount of DNA you inherit from ancestors is not necessarily 25% from each grandparent, 12.5% from each great-grandparent, and so forth
    • your DNA may also look more like DNA from regions near your ancestors' homelands than it does like DNA from their country." 
    Plus my dad did his DNA with them too and he got 100% Welsh, boring bugger. 
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Not sure how you only got 48% Welsh from you dad if he was 100%. 
    There’s always a + / - few percent