Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited August 2022
    “(Sandgaard) firmly believes that it is possible to double turnover in the long term, not dependent on
    promotion to The Championship

Really?
  • Looks like Sandgaard set the agenda here and not the other way round.
  • He's just so wrong that revenue can be doubled and it's a major concern. Bottom line is if we don't get promoted and he wants to break even next season that we'll be gagging to sell all our best players and replace with free agents. Can joke we don't have many sellable assets but 5/6 are surely going to have a decent season. The likes of Henry and Leaburn are the obvious ones. 

I think his "do a derby" comment shows that he's still naive about the football business. It's the norm now, doing a Derby is throwing silly money at it, I don't think anyone expects that. A club like Charlton is going to lose money in League 1 and most Championship clubs who have Prem ambitions will do the same. It's not doing a Derby, it's remaining competitive. 
  • He's just so wrong that revenue can be doubled and it's a major concern. Bottom line is if we don't get promoted and he wants to break even next season that we'll be gagging to sell all our best players and replace with free agents. Can joke we don't have many sellable assets but 5/6 are surely going to have a decent season. The likes of Henry and Leaburn are the obvious ones. 

I think his "do a derby" comment shows that he's still naive about the football business. It's the norm now, doing a Derby is throwing silly money at it, I don't think anyone expects that. A club like Charlton is going to lose money in League 1 and most Championship clubs who have Prem ambitions will do the same. It's not doing a Derby, it's remaining competitive. 
    Exactly, you could argue that youre already throwing silly money at Charlton just to stand still in League 1 and pay the debts. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    He's just so wrong that revenue can be doubled and it's a major concern. Bottom line is if we don't get promoted and he wants to break even next season that we'll be gagging to sell all our best players and replace with free agents. Can joke we don't have many sellable assets but 5/6 are surely going to have a decent season. The likes of Henry and Leaburn are the obvious ones. 

Exactly, you could argue that youre already throwing silly money at Charlton just to stand still in League 1 and pay the debts. 
    The financial position in football is a long-term concern, probably not sustainable for many clubs. Unfortunately it's the way it is at the moment. Without significant changes at the top (throughout Europe, it's not just the FA) then we'll lose a few clubs no doubt. If any owner of a club like Charlton tries to break even in League 1 it will simply mean having a small, weak playing squad. Catch 22 as this will only reduce the turnover further. 

Despite costs obviously being cut, if we can sign one or two more this squad looks ok. We'll need some luck but without meaning to be dramatic, I'm beginning to think this could be a real pivotal season in our history. 
  • The problem is that he does not have proper football people to advise him. 
    Some of what he comes out with is nonsense. 
    A proper footballing person would have advised him not to touch us with a barge pole.
  • Sponsored links:

• Reduce the 8m losses per season to 4m this season and then break even in the 23/24 season.

Looks like more cost cutting is on the way
  • "The owner feels that we are poor at match day sales versus other clubs".

Lower the prices then. Personally i feel that tickets for league one football should be a maximum of 25 quid.
    I agree, but when prem club fans have rightly been campaigning 'twenty's plenty' for away tickets, that makes L1 prices look even worse!
  • I suppose a mathematical case could be made that when a 'big' club visits and will fill the away end at a higher price, the loss of home fans may not present enough of a loss to justify a lower price. Conversely, when poorly supported clubs visit, you have to know what price maximises income including increased matchday sales. 

It feels to me that if you want to grow your fan base, reasonably priced and upfront ticket prices are important. 
  • "TS continued on the financials. To summarise: £10M turnover, £18M expenses, so loss £8M per year"

Any chance someone could break this approx figure down as to where they think this money is being spent? 
  • "TS continued on the financials. To summarise: £10M turnover, £18M expenses, so loss £8M per year"

Any chance someone could break this approx figure down as to where they think this money is being spent? 

That's half of it.
  • Thanks for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey - Full time platers!
  • @castrust @shirty5
    Thanks for getting the notes up. Can I ask about the initiative of CAST buying tickets and distributing them. 
    Two questions
    1. How would this be funded
    2. Aren't CACT already (or should be) targeting these groups with their free tickets (500 a game normally I believe)? If there are groups that aren't being hit, can't this number be increased to accomodate them? (although queue the moaners about giving away free tickets)
  • Uboat said:
    Blucher said:
    I see that Bristol City introduced a ‘mates’ rates’ ticket scheme for their opening home game of the season against Sunderland last Saturday. Season ticket holders are sent a code which then enables up to two friends to buy a ticket each anywhere in the ground for £12.50.

Whilst a limited number of free tickets for Charlton season ticket holders makes sense, I quite like the idea of people actually paying something for their ticket, rather than just hoovering up freebies. 

I know that Bristol City are a well supported club and Sunderland always bring a good following, but they had just under 25,000 at Ashton gate, which I believe was the biggest crowd for an opening home game for over 10 years.

Might something like this be worth trying at Charlton - at, say, £10 a ticket ? 
    Great idea, but discriminates against people with no mates. 
    Luckily @ricky_otto already had a season ticket 
  • redman said:
    @castrust @shirty5
    Thanks for getting the notes up. Can I ask about the initiative of CAST buying tickets and distributing them. 
    Two questions
    1. How would this be funded
    2. Aren't CACT already (or should be) targeting these groups with their free tickets (500 a game normally I believe)? If there are groups that aren't being hit, can't this number be increased to accomodate them? (although queue the moaners about giving away free tickets)
    The community trust had their usual 500 tickets last Saturday but there appeared to be hardly anyone in the block of the East stand that they use. 
  • Blucher said:
    I see that Bristol City introduced a ‘mates’ rates’ ticket scheme for their opening home game of the season against Sunderland last Saturday. Season ticket holders are sent a code which then enables up to two friends to buy a ticket anywhere in the ground for £12.50 each.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/202223-match-ticket-prices-announced/

Whilst a limited number of free tickets for Charlton season ticket holders makes sense, I quite like the idea of people actually paying something for their ticket, rather than just hoovering up freebies. 

I know that Bristol City are a well supported club and Sunderland always bring a good following, but they had just under 25,000 at Ashton gate, which I believe was their biggest crowd for an opening home game for over 10 years.

I’m not sure if it’s been trialled before, but might something like this be worth trying at Charlton - at, say, £10 a ticket ? 
    The free tickets should have been given out over the first few home games to ST holders and then hope some of those convert to more ST sales. 
  • se9addick said:
    “(Sandgaard) firmly believes that it is possible to double turnover in the long term, not dependent on
    promotion to The Championship

Really?

Absolutely right. If we have inflation of 10% for the next 7 and a bit years that is.
  • edited August 2022
    msomerton said:
    Is our owner another one who has fallen for the fallacy that being a London based club means a big supporter base. We have never had a large supporter base, in the prem years a large percentage of  the home support not there to watch Charlton just there to watch prem football on the cheap.
    Trying to break even cuts the chance of promotion.
    Maybe he has insofar as he tends to over estimate what's achievable from our catchment area in the short term. Using the CAST data, which he's assuming represents his target market, he states he believes somewhere between 2% and 3% of that 600k could be added to our attendances, but I can't see it being more than 0.5% myself in L1, if we're doing well. Attendances would increase.

I don't see what's wrong with him saying that he wants to halve the losses this season and break even next. He won't, but as we're losing money, it seems sensible for him to want to minimize those loses and  I don't have an issue with him running the Club accordingly.

Trying to be prudent may compromise our  chances of promotion as you say, but not eliminate them altogether, Bowyer's promotion team under team RD recent evidence of what can be achieved in spite of strict financial controls being in place.