Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Football an all weather game?

Tomorrows' game will kick off at a temperature of 30degrees C. Good training for Qatar? maybe if our players were going....
All the running around that done in a game means to me that its a cold weather game, with allowances for spring and autumn...but in this heat no way.
The EFL should allow games  on days (like tomorrows) be delayed until evening, or even better not to plan daytime KO's in Aug/Sept.
Its a serious health risk (Imo-I'm not a doctor)
Or get rid of the grass and call it beach football

Comments

• edited August 2022
    We have played beach football before in January 

• It's a good question and maybe an evening ko would be better, but having said that I hate it when it's a bit chilly, no obvious solution. 
  • What about away fans that book travel in advance? Can’t be relying on weather forecasters.
  • Games are delayed/postponed for heavy rain, snow and ice when they could play in snow shoes or ice skates or wellington boots.
    Travelling fans always get the short end of the straw, personally I wouldn't like to say "that was a cracking game, shame so-and so had heat stroke and had to go to hospital" at least I caught the last train home

• No its not... Waterlogged and frozen pitches prove that ;)

Thats one end of the scale though, like you say, what then becomes acceptable for the other end when it is too hot?
  • May I politely ask is this a debate or is this a rant? 
  • Exactly how many summers do we have like this?. We usually have a hot week or 2 for Easter and maybe another in June. This is also not a typical seaon and started 2 weeks early. 

Give it 2 months and we will have all forgotten about our record temperatures.
  • They're professional athletes. So long as they hydrate and take on sufficient electrolytes before, during and after the game they should be OK.

I think the US world Cup saw some pretty high temps on the west coast in 94 and I recall Aldridge and Jack Charlton sweating their nuts off and rowing with 4th official re water breaks. They were probably far less conditioned back then and likely had been out on the piss in the days before and did OK.

I'd expect they'll be fine.
  • Come on really. It's 35 degrees not death valley and these players are highly trained athletes with god knows how much money spent on health and nutrition. There will be many a "ordinary" man having a kick about this weekend. Should they all retreat into the shade. I never thought I'd hear a debate about whether football is a hot or cold weather game and the fact you've settled on cold when you consider history and the amount of games called off in the cold season for frozen pitches just makes me wonder if the heat has got to your head 😉 
  • They're professional athletes. So long as they hydrate and take on sufficient electrolytes before, during and after the game they should be OK.

I think the US world Cup saw some pretty high temps on the west coast in 94 and I recall Aldridge and Jack Charlton sweating their nuts off and rowing with 4th official re water breaks. They were probably far less conditioned back then and likely had been out on the piss in the days before and did OK.

I'd expect they'll be fine.
    They were just "hydrating"
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    What about when the mist rolling in from the Thames and you can’t see the action on the pitch?
  • Yes, it is an all weather game, as long as it not too hot, torrential rain, snowing or foggy 
  • edited August 2022
    Is football more physically demanding than rugby league?  
  • Interesting question.

when I was about 12 I played in an international representative match in Spain in the searing afternoon heat, we all had to take salt tablets (I think it was salt) before the game but it was still quite alarming how much weight a bunch of skinny 12yr olds lost in just one game of football. Have in my head some lost up to a stone. 

I’m sure all the pro clubs and their sports science staff plan effectively for this and they’ll all be issuing the right balance of electrolytes, supplements etc. am expecting drinks breaks in games tomorrow as well. 
  • I'll also add that most clubs that are in the position to choose, choose to go for preseason in places that are hotter, normally, than here.
  • Winter sport. Don’t mess with it. 
  • Tomorrow will tell if the Spain pre-season was worthwhile. 
  • edited August 2022
    There’ll be water/hydration breaks in the middle of each half. I think they’ll be fine.

But it is an interesting question re: when does it become dangerous? Not saying tomorrow is at that point but is it at 40? 45?
  • edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It would be interesting to see comparisons of heart rate data of a footballer footballing, a rugby player rugbying and then flipping their sports so the footballer does some rugby and the rugger does football and compare the results.

I'd gamble the requirements to have more muscle etc rugby would be more anaerobically intense (power and explosive bursts) whereas football would be more aerobically intense with sections of anaerobic demand (comparatively) 

Two very different sports played on similarly sized pitches but with different demands.
  • There’ll be water/hydration breaks in the middle of each half. I think they’ll be fine.

But it is an interesting question re: when does it become dangerous? Not saying tomorrow is at that point but is it at 40? 45?
    Well, you could argue that it becomes dangerous if the players are not wearing effective sunscreen on the exposed parts of the body and if the Castore kit does not provide an effective UV barrier - I can find nothing on the website to suggest that it does.  They should also wear hats and sunglasses of course, although the UV Index is "only" moderate today... B)

Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It would be interesting to see comparisons of heart rate data of a footballer footballing, a rugby player rugbying and then flipping their sports so the footballer does some rugby and the rugger does football and compare the results.

I'd gamble the requirements to have more muscle etc rugby would be more anaerobically intense (power and explosive bursts) whereas football would be more aerobically intense with sections of anaerobic demand (comparatively) 

Two very different sports played on similarly sized pitches but with different demands.

Depends if you mean proper rugby (League) or that other version which involves a bunch of fat men lying on top of each other for 80 minutes in the corner of the pitch furthest away from where you are sitting.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:
    There’ll be water/hydration breaks in the middle of each half. I think they’ll be fine.

Well, you could argue that it becomes dangerous if the players are not wearing effective sunscreen on the exposed parts of the body and if the Castore kit does not provide an effective UV barrier - I can find nothing on the website to suggest that it does.  They should also wear hats and sunglasses of course, although the UV Index is "only" moderate today... B)

Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Depends if you mean proper rugby (League) or that other version which involves a bunch of fat men lying on top of each other for 80 minutes in the corner of the pitch furthest away from where you are sitting.
    I like the cut of your jib! 😎
  • If it was a game in temperatures like we saw a few weeks ago when it got up to 38/39 then I don’t think the game goes ahead. Not just because of the players but for the welfare of people in the stands.

35 and below and it’s absolutely fine, as long as breaks are sensibly used.
  • Although cricket is physically less demanding standing in the outfield all day must create some problems, dehydration, sunstroke etc.
  • Football can of course be played in all weathers. I hated playing in the heat as I always felt totally lacking in energy. For me the colder the better when playing. As a fan, you would probably like 21 degrees and no sun beating down on you. But in terms of playing it is the same for both sides. 

We have played in hotter temperatures in pre-season which must help.
  • cafcfan said:

Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I like the cut of your jib! 😎
    Is league the one where they lay on floor and flap like a dying fish ? 
  • Dont mind playing in the heat or cold, hated playing in strong wind. Makes a mockery of the game.
  • Never had this trouble in my day. Would be down the mine in 50c for 18 hours a day, never did anyone any harm.  That's the problem with modern footballers. They have all turned into woke snowflakes that melt when it gets above 35c. 😉

But absolutely agree there is a health and safety debate to be had, not just for the players but also for the welfare of the fans. Was absolutely sweltering in the lower covered end on Saturday and it wasn't even that hot by recent standards.

• edited August 2022
    It's a bad day to be at a game and having a few beers, getting dehydrated.

Players should be okay but some will suffer more than others, particularly going down the leagues. I was gonna go watch some nonleague but can't even be bothered with that (plus I'm nursing a dehydration headache from parkrun!)
  • Here in Vendée, France back in June we had a Saturday that reached 41 degrees. The council ordered that all sports clubs close.
    I might have normally played tennis but I would have chosen to play early before the temperature reached 35ish.

A friend of my son's had his rink hockey tournament called off. Not postponed but cancelled. His mother told me that it was the national finals so they'd been building up to it all season. The parents had proposed starting early, having a long break during the hottest part of the day and finishing late. The authorities refused.

Meanwhile at the hottest time of the day whilst I took my daughter to a birthday party (in a basement) I saw a woman running and some guys playing pétanque.

Should we play in extreme temperatures?  I personally wouldn't over 35-37 degrees but I think you should let the public decide whilst giving them advice on their health. Unfortunately though, we live in drastically authoritarian times.
  • football is not a summer sport, and if these hot spells become more frequent then it should start later than now,