Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A personal and touching moment from Charlton.

My dad was recently diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma. He first went to his beloved Charlton in 1951 and would skip school of afternoon to watch them play in the afternoon before teams played under floodlights. Stories that he would tell his grandchildren about how he used to them train during school holidays, his hero’s such as Johnny Summers, The great Sam, Derek Ufton. 
A season ticket holder for over forty years, and was one of the first to sign up to Valley Gold when it was launched at the training ground.
As per normal when the final whistle went at the end of the season, next morning, renewed his season ticket, same seat Black A on the end.
He has now been told by his consultant that he can no longer go to see his beloved Charlton for some time due to he is vulnerable to all infections. He was devastated that he can no longer see the team that he has spent watching every Saturday afternoon for the last 70 years.
I called the club and asked about the chances of a refund on his ticket as the only match he had attended was the Derby match, in which I was told to write in and each case was judged on merit that I thought was a bit harsh, however an email was sent with the details of my dads illness and that he will not be able to attend any of the matches.
The work mobile rings, looking at the screen it shows “ Charlton Athletic Holdings”. Just expecting it to be the ticket office just answered it in the normal of answering my phone, when the lady at the end introduced herself as Raelynn from Charlton Athletic to talk about my email and that will be giving a full refund etc.
All of a sudden the penny dropped who this woman was, and she was very keen to find out how Dad was, the stories that he had, about our family, my children where we had a ten to fifteen minute conversation.
She is going to also get Thomas to ring my dad on Saturday when he comes out of hospital.
In the past I have questioned the appointments and decisions that have been made, but to have this personal touch, in which I am sure that most clubs would have just got the ticket office to call me back or send an email went a hell of a long way.
if the call on Saturday gives my dad a bit more happiness in this fight that he is facing where he has told that it is not curable it will mean everything to our family.

Comments

• Options
    My thoughts are with your Dad! Hopefully he can get back to The Valley before too long. 
  • Options
    Wishing you and your family all the best @WhenIwasLittleBoy
  • Options
    A very nice touch. Best of luck to your Dad.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    A Very nice touch from Raelynn and the club. Best of luck to your dad and hope the gets back to the valley soon! 
  • Options
    Lovely story and one I’m sure your dad is chuffed about. Best wishes to him.
  • Options
    Best wishes to your Dad
  • Options
    Lovely story. Best wishes to your dad, and hopefully the Addicks will put a smile on his face this season.
  • Options
    See they’re not all bad.

Best wishes to your dad, hope he can return at some point.
  • Options
    Best wishes to your Dad, hope Charlton can do the business on Saturday for him!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Sorry to read this, best wishes to your dad and also to you and the restof your family. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best of luck to your dad. Yet another heart-rendering story to highlight why we support our local community-driven football club.
  • Options
    Sending positive vibes to your and your Dad. I hope you can both enjoy a game together at The Valley again soon.
  • Options
    Wishing you and your dad all the best mate.
    Hopefully see you soon.
  • Options
    Beautiful story, well done Charlton, and good luck to your dad
  • Options
    Sorry to hear mate, good luck to your old man 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear, Good luck to the old boy. 
  • Options
    Great read, thanks for sharing, best of luck to your old man.
  • Options
    Lovely story,  best wishes to your dad. 
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. All the best to you and your dad.

Make sure you get Charlton TV set up for him 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's these stories that show our club can get it right. I wish your dad all the best and hope something changes so he can be back at The Valley soon.
  • Options
    Good luck to your dad, hope he can get back to the Valley asap.
  • Options
    Praise to Charlton but raises questions as to How the club get some things so right and then other things so badly wrong? 

Best wishes to your father - hopefully streaming is an option for him to keep that Saturday connection for him. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your dad's illness, but hope that the call will make his day. 
  • Options
    Here's wishing you all the best fellow Addick.
  • Options
    Well done Charlton and best wishes to your Dad 
  • Options
    Best wishes and well done Raelynn
  • Options
    Can only add my best wishes to your dad in his health issues and hope that it's not too long before he can get back to the Valley he so clearly loves.

Well played the club and Raelynn too of course. 
  • Options
    Thank you for posting this @WhenIwasLittleBoy best wishes to you Dad and the rest of your family