Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A personal and touching moment from Charlton.

Comments

• Options
    This is a great story mate.  Best wishes to you, your Dad and your  family.
  • Options
    Best wishes to your dad.
  • Options
    All the best to your dad and your family mate.
  • Options
    Very best wishes to your dad, I started going to watch Charlton around about 1951 myself, they were great days to watch our lovely football team
  • Options
    A very nice touch from the club. All the very best for your dad. 
  • Options
    A very touching story about your dad. Brought a tear to my eye. I too hope he will get back to the Valley soon to continue his steadfast support for the Addicks. 
    Well done to Raelynn for making personal contact and I feel sure your dad will get a lot of happiness when Thomas makes personal contact with him on Saturday. 
    All the very best to your dad. 

• Options
    Good to see the club do the right thing and in a personal way.

Your old man is evidently a Charlton stalwart of nearly three quarters of a century.  He must have some great stories to tell.
    Best wishes to him.

@WhenIwasLittleBoy

• Options
    Please give your Dad a big hug from the whole CL family.
    x
  • Options
    Best wishes to your dad Dean, see you soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep on trucking Dad…and @wheniwaslittleboy keep your chin up and enjoy every moment with your dad. 
  • Options
    That’s a heartwarming story WhenIwasLittleBoy.  Best wishes to your Dad and a big shout out to Raylean too.
  • Options
    Best wishes to your dad and your family mate
  • Options
    Best wishes to your Dad 
  • Options
    Best wishes to your Dad 👍👍👍
  • Options
    We sometimes don't understand the decisions made by the clubs owners and our history probably makes us deeply suspicious but this story certainly gives a more balanced picture of our owners respect for the fans. 
  • Options
    Best wishes to your dad mate and nice to hear that the people at the top aren’t totally out of touch. It’s what makes a football club special.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All the best to your dad.
  • Options
    Something I have mentioned before on CL - 2017, my late Father (Waldo on CL) was diagnosed with cancer, and his life expectancy was short - a supporter since the late 1940’s - serving in the British Army meant his visits to The Valley in 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and most of the 80’s were disrupted by postings overseas and exercises - from the return to The Valley he was a season ticket holder (finally retired from the Army 1992) - he never thought he would see Charlton in top division again - he saw it 3 times, and was stunned by all 3 promotions

2017 - very ill - we knew the only way to get him to games was to drive him - but even walking from a parking place somewhere near The Valley was impossible - he was that ill 

Via very kind CL members I was put in contact with Mick Everett - overnight we were sent - free of charge - a West Stand car park pass - no questions asked - I explained to Mick Dad’s decades of support - he obviously recognised that, and ‘did the right thing’ - what a top bloke Mick is

We sadly used it once - first game of 2017/18 season - we beat Bristol Rovers 1-0 - My sister and I sat either side of Dad, for his last Charlton match - he died a few days later - but for his last Charlton match he saw his beloved team win

He is now in the Valley Memorial Garden, and no doubt casting his views in crap performances and rubbish players !!!

I hope your Dad gets back to health very soon

But the bottom line is that, despite ‘concerns’ we have at the moment, on numerous matters, when it comes to the crunch, your Father is being cared for in - not the same, but a different - way

We cannot lose this aspect of our club - if we lose it, we lose our club

But I know, that will never happen - because WE - Charlton Athletic supporters - will never let it happen

Thinking about my Dad tonight - feel sad - but also annoyed - he inflicted this on me in 1976 - the curse of being a Charlton fan - git 😉
    Wow. That is such a moving story. So glad you posted it.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this. All the best to your Dad. Nice touch from Raelynn. 
  • Options
    Best of luck to your dad and hope he can see us again sometime soon. Great from the club.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful story. Best wishes to your dad and family. 
  • Options
    Very best of luck to your Dad, and best wishes to all your family in their support of him. 
  • Options
    All the best to your dad & of course your family mate 
  • Options
    Best wishes to you and of course your dad.
  • Options
    Lovely story and hope your Dad can get back to The Valley soon. 
  • Options
    Best wishes to your dad.  Everyone in the Charlton family matters.  We'll done the club.