Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

⚽️🥅 COUNTDOWN TO PROMOTION 22/23 🥅⚽️

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Don’t matter if it doesn’t happen, good to see an antidote to all the doom and gloom. 

I will be boarding the good ship HMS Piss The League although reserve the right to disembark frequently as and when. 
    Agree, I’m onboard. However, have read the instructions on the back of the door. I have my sea sickness pills in hand, my life belt ready, and know where my life boat station is in case I need to abandon ship altogether. 

Obviously expect Captain Garner to go down with HMS PISS THE LEAGUE should we fail to reach our destination. 
  • Options
    Love the superstitious amongst us :D

Got visions of a load of blokes walking down Floyd Road this afternoon, being careful not to step on any cracks
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We always get promoted in our third season in a row in L1 while under questionable ownership.

We’ve won the title, the playoffs, this time we’ll finish second.

And then third time lucky on our Championship return we won’t drop to the third tier ever again.
    But we don’t have an former player as manager. 40+ years since we got promoted without a former charlton player as manager.
    Which just means we’re long overdue a promotion without one.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Delete
    Sorry, you will have to do that yourself, can't delete your post for you.. ;)
  • Options
    Oh gawd. Way to jinx it.
  • Options
    Erm...
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Erm...
    Yes we drew 1-1 at home. I didn't say we'll win every game from now until the end of the season! Liverpool drew at home to Palace last Monday. Have they given up on winning the title?
  • Options
    About that warm fuzzy feeling last week against ten men.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    For a bit of fun, which I'll try to remember to update (hopefully as little as possible)...

Promotion last season: 9-draws | 10-defeats, we can afford: 7-draws | 9-defeats
    Play-Offs last season: 14-draws | 9-defeats, we can afford: 12-draws | 8-defeats
  • Options
    Erm...
    Yes we drew 1-1 at home. I didn't say we'll win every game from now until the end of the season! Liverpool drew at home to Palace last Monday. Have they given up on winning the title.
    Oh, you're actually being serious. I admire your optimism.
    Absolutely serious
  • Options
    I think we’ve run aground already! 👀
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We always get promoted in our third season in a row in L1 while under questionable ownership.

We’ve won the title, the playoffs, this time we’ll finish second.

And then third time lucky on our Championship return we won’t drop to the third tier ever again.
    But we don’t have an former player as manager. 40+ years since we got promoted without a former charlton player as manager.
    1986 isn’t 40-plus years ago - unless I’m older than I realise.
  • Options
    Nice one UTV 👍
    @AFKABartram I expect my first promote.😉
    And so ...... I clicked on your username to see if you had been given your promote.

Nothing. Zilch. No doubt your promote was awarded to Henry instead. :smile:  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can assure you it wasn’t !
  • Options
    About that warm fuzzy feeling last week against ten men.
    We normally lose against 10 men.

• Options
    For a bit of fun, which I'll try to remember to update (hopefully as little as possible)...

Promotion last season: 9-draws | 10-defeats, we can afford: 6-draws | 9-defeats
    Play-Offs last season: 14-draws | 9-defeats, we can afford: 11-draws | 8-defeats
    Updated above...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    So, on 4 occasions that we got more than 9 points after 6 games we didnt get promoted and the time when we got promoted via the play offs we had less points then we currently have at this stage 

So all that tells you is that 6 games in is no barometer on where a team will finish after 46 games.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    So, on 4 occasions that we got more than 9 points after 6 games we didnt get promoted and the time when we got promoted via the play offs we had less points then we currently have at this stage 

So all that tells you is that 6 games in is no barometer on where a team will finish after 46 games.
    Yeah but we’re doing better than last season and every team we play is brilliant and top half 
  • Options
    I’m reasonably satisfied with the start but it will need to improve for us to make the play offs.

Good stuff so far:

- We have a clearly defined way of playing and are building around it. Hasn’t been the case for a few years. The whole club seems geared up for it.
    - there is clear quality in the team. The keeper is an obvious improvement, I like O’Connell, Morgan fits the system nicely, Fraser getting better, Dobbo is still Dobbo and JRS is and will be more and more the so called ‘cheat code’. Leaburn is very promising but needs more games not right wing cameos.
    - the team are battling, apart from maybe Derby 1st half, I cannot criticise the effort.

Areas for improvement:

- we are short in obvious areas. I do think Stockley is a good player in the right system which isn’t this. We need a kind of fit Aneke type. Left sided centre back who can also play full back and, in a very ideal world, another more physically imposing midfielder.
    - Apart from Plymouth, which I think was as much about their bad tactics, we haven’t really dominated yet. Our tempo needs to go up a couple of notches which, hopefully, will come as we get more confident with the system. 
    - some players need to improve their level. I’ve mentioned Stockley although that is more about the system, I’d rather see Leaburn thrown in than use Stockley atm. Clayden is a bit in and out for me, hopefully will get better with games. I think Kirk is a very good footballer but would like to see him involved for the full 90. 

Like most others the rest of the transfer window is key as I’m confident the tactical weaknesses will get better.

• Options
    I’m reasonably satisfied with the start but it will need to improve for us to make the play offs.

Good stuff so far:

- We have a clearly defined way of playing and are building around it. Hasn’t been the case for a few years. The whole club seems geared up for it.
    - there is clear quality in the team. The keeper is an obvious improvement, I like O’Connell, Morgan fits the system nicely, Fraser getting better, Dobbo is still Dobbo and JRS is and will be more and more the so called ‘cheat code’. Leaburn is very promising but needs more games not right wing cameos.
    - the team are battling, apart from maybe Derby 1st half, I cannot criticise the effort.

Areas for improvement:

- we are short in obvious areas. I do think Stockley is a good player in the right system which isn’t this. We need a kind of fit Aneke type. Left sided centre back who can also play full back and, in a very ideal world, another more physically imposing midfielder.
    - Apart from Plymouth, which I think was as much about their bad tactics, we haven’t really dominated yet. Our tempo needs to go up a couple of notches which, hopefully, will come as we get more confident with the system. 
    - some players need to improve their level. I’ve mentioned Stockley although that is more about the system, I’d rather see Leaburn thrown in than use Stockley atm. Clayden is a bit in and out for me, hopefully will get better with games. I think Kirk is a very good footballer but would like to see him involved for the full 90. 

Like most others the rest of the transfer window is key as I’m confident the tactical weaknesses will get better.

Forgot to mention on the players needing to improve their level. Payne has been a disappointment so far - it’s clear what he can do but he just needs to calm down in his decision making/pass execution.
  • Options
    This team won't get promoted.I reserve judgement until 1 September. No new striker then the same prediction.
    Bump. What a shambles behind the scenes we are. Black box, my arse. Fuming, frustrated and disappointed.
  • Options
    Oh please don't bump it, I cringe every time I see it on page one. (I appreciate the irony that my posting this will send it back up to the top again). You have no idea how tempted I am to sink it until February, or at least until we actually put a run of wins together.