Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Missing student nurse found - strange story?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Glad to hear that she has been found safe. I live in Hampshire but we have heard nothing about it, and this includes the MOD/MOD CID police who sit in an adjacent room to me.
  • Options
    5 people seems a lot of suspect activity for someone only missing for 7 weeks.
  • Options
    Owami Davies has been located.

Arrest on suspicion of murder and kidnap is on the police to explain or justify, those arrested probably have had a very traumatic experience.

However the effort and continual publicity by the police has probably helped a lot to find Owami, we have a kind of double edged sword thing going on.

What I would like to think is that somehow there is the kind of reach out to Owami that she would accept. Running away at whatever age is not a passive action, and can lead a person to a place where helping is more difficult.

I don’t know what is out there for a case like this, but the karma aspect, for me, is about positive help should find it’s way to a person training to be a positive help to others.
  • Options
    very pleased that this had a (reasonably?) happy ending .. far too many young ladies reported missing are murder victims
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Kips said:
    Off_it said:
    Presumably the people charged with murder will have the charges dropped then. When they get round to it. So in about 6 months then!
    Where was it stated that anyone had been charged? It's highly unlikely that the CPS authorised charges when no body had been found unless there was strong evidence that death had occurred. 
    If they weren't charged then I stand corrected, but the same general principle applies. I bet the OB didnt go rushing round there to de-arrest them.

Edit: just read the latest version of the BBC report. "Officers confirmed on Tuesday that all five were still on police bail and a decision on what happens next to them would follow a "full debrief".

Wtf? If you've arrested someone for murder and the "victim" turns up alive and well then what decision do you need to think about?

This all does sound a bit odd.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Kips said:
    Off_it said:
    Presumably the people charged with murder will have the charges dropped then. When they get round to it. So in about 6 months then!
    Where was it stated that anyone had been charged? It's highly unlikely that the CPS authorised charges when no body had been found unless there was strong evidence that death had occurred. 
    If they weren't charged then I stand corrected, but the same general principle applies. I bet the OB didnt go rushing round there to de-arrest them.

Edit: just read the latest version of the BBC report. "Officers confirmed on Tuesday that all five were still on police bail and a decision on what happens next to them would follow a "full debrief".

Wtf? If you've arrested someone for murder and the "victim" turns up alive and well then what decision do you need to think about?

It doesn't really work like that, the police don’t just rock up and de-arrest someone. Someone would more likely be de-arrested prior to being taken to custody.
    These people would just be notified that whatever charge has now been dropped.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Kips said:
    Off_it said:

The police don’t just rock up and de-arrest someone. That person would just be notified that whatever charge has now been dropped.
    Only once they've had a "full debrief" though. Very strange.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Kips said:
    Off_it said:

The police don’t just rock up and de-arrest someone. That person would just be notified that whatever charge has now been dropped.

It's just that we don't know the whole story, it could be that any of these could have been using her mobile phone or credit card or something like that linking them to her. Like why do you have this and the police can't find her?  Some or none of them may face a different charge like theft or fraud.
    They would have been arrested for murder due to the circumstances just not making much sense. They all would have been interviewed to account for themselves and then either charged, no further action or released under investigation
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We, quite rightly, know virtually nothing of the facts.
    One thing we do know without doubt is that speculation on what happened to whom and why is speculation, unhelpful at best, self-indulgent and potentially harmful.
    Follow the story by all means but leave it there
  • Options
    Far bit it to interrupt the musings of the No 1 Charlton Life Detective Agency but has anyone considered that there's a lot likely to have gone on or intel held that we don't know about? Or may never know about.

I mean, the police have made some serious errors recently, but I'm pretty sure they're not at the stage where they arrest people for murder just in order to cover their backs and be seen to be doing something.

How about we just be grateful that the young lady is safe and hopefully receiving any support she needs and wait for more details to come out for now? 

Obviously aimed at me; I said straight away that it was great she'd been found safe and well, but do you seriously think that the circumstances surrounding this case is not going to stimulate respectful discussion, no matter how speculative it may be?

Re' the police bringing people in just to show willing; I think that's completely within the realms of possibility. 

• Options
    Digressing a bit .. a 9 year old was shot to death in Liverpool yesterday .. the Police put out a description of the murderer .. very descriptive except for his race .. the race of the victim or the perpetrator is very rarely, if ever disclosed .. all very well to know the murderer is (e.g.) 6' tall, was wearing a dark coat, pink jeans and white trainers etc, what is the colour of his/her skin ?

i m o be far better if the race, if known, of the wanted is stated .. this is done in the USA, why not in the UK ?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62649615

First of all, brilliant that she has been found safe and (apparently) well. 

Must admit I was aware of the story in the peripheral but had not really looked into it too much aside from knowing she was missing, but actually reading the story on BBC news it seems like something more than meets the eye here (or is it just me?) 

Girl approaching the end of her studies to become a nurse, one day says to her mum she's off to the gym, disappears for two days, and is then located sleeping on a friends doorstep - approached by police but she claims she is fine and leaves the scene, then "disappears" for a further 7 weeks until being located today miles away in Hampshire seemingly absolutely fine, safe and well.

What makes it strange to me, is the fact that even despite her face being on many news outlets and broadcasts for weeks, 5 people being arrested for her murder/kidnapping - she never came forward even in a discrete way to say she was alive and fine and just didn't wish to be contacted or whatever.

A huge amount of police time put into the case and obviously still lots of facts to be established, but it all just seems rather odd all around. 
    Good to read that the Det Chief Superintendent heading up the investigation had been "... praying for this outcome". Hugely impressed! 
    Bog off
    Assuming that was sarcasm by VoT, I thought that was one of his more sensible comments.  If he actually meant it, I second your Bog off.
  • Options
    Digressing a bit .. a 9 year old was shot to death in Liverpool yesterday .. the Police put out a description of the murderer .. very descriptive except for his race .. the race of the victim or the perpetrator is very rarely, if ever disclosed .. all very well to know the murderer is (e.g.) 6' tall, was wearing a dark coat, pink jeans and white trainers etc, what is the colour of his/her skin ?

i m o be far better if the race, if known, of the wanted is stated .. this is done in the USA, why not in the UK ?
    The description i saw was just of his height and build, because he was wearing gloves and a balaclava. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Kips said:
    Off_it said:

It's just that we don't know the whole story, it could be that any of these could have been using her mobile phone or credit card or something like that linking them to her. Like why do you have this and the police can't find her?  Some or none of them may face a different charge like theft or fraud.
    They would have been arrested for murder due to the circumstances just not making much sense. They all would have been interviewed to account for themselves and then either charged, no further action or released under investigation
    I get all that. But to still be on bail for murder when the "murder victim" is alive and well seems ridiculous. By all mean arrest and charge them with something else if that's what's needed, but it's certainly not murder is it. Surely it's not right to leave someone in limbo like that while you work out of you want to arrest them for something else?

But as you say, we don't know the whole story. It just all adds to the oddness of it all.
  • Options
    As I understand it, from Professors Google, you don’t have to be charged with anything to be bailed. It simply means you have to turn up if they want you, and they’ve got 28 days to decide about charging you. So it’s possible they are under investigation for other offences.

I don’t think they are on bail for murder, they’re just on bail pending charges. 

But that could be a complete misinterpretation of what I was looking at. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m amazed you can be charged with murder if there’s no body. I think the only way is if someone is deemed presumed dead but I thought that was for insurance purposes only. I may be wrong. Just adds to the oddness of it all and adds to the respectful debate. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Kips said:
    Off_it said:

I get all that. But to still be on bail for murder when the "murder victim" is alive and well seems ridiculous. By all mean arrest and charge them with something else if that's what's needed, but it's certainly not murder is it. Surely it's not right to leave someone in limbo like that while you work out of you want to arrest them for something else?

But as you say, we don't know the whole story. It just all adds to the oddness of it all.

They would likely been arrested for murder and then released under investigation. 

• Options
    I’m amazed you can be charged with murder if there’s no body. I think the only way is if someone is deemed presumed dead but I thought that was for insurance purposes only. I may be wrong. Just adds to the oddness of it all and adds to the respectful debate. 
    John Haigh would have liked that suggestion.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Really?  So hide/dispose of a body well enough and you're home free?!

I appreciate that this is a bit different, but as a general rule: of course you can be.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    John Haigh would have liked that suggestion.
    The difference being he admitted it.
  • Options
    People have I’m sure been tried for murder without there being a body and been convicted.
  • Options
    People have I’m sure been tried for murder without there being a body and been convicted.
    they certainly have .. List of murder convictions without a body - Wikipedia
  • Options
    Very interesting. The forensics point makes sense.
  • Options
    seems that nowadays without wonderful forensics and the ubiquitous cameras, little crime of any sort would ever be solved
  • Options
    seems that nowadays without wonderful forensics and the ubiquitous cameras, little crime of any sort would ever be solved

Whatever happened to the princes in the tower?