Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD...Wycombe Wanderers V Charlton Athletic..Saturday 27th August 2022

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    FT: Wycombe 1-1 Charlton

That would have been three points dropped last season again
  • Options
    FT 1-1, patchy game with both sides giving it all, shame ref cocked game up though with his first half antics with the yellow card show, good point won, great support from the 1600 travelling Addicks...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Stockley is not the answer…
    When we break there is no pass because he can't get half a yard free, because he is just so slow
    Right, which means you'd like to see him dropping off more to drag a CB with him, and then looking to get the wingers running in behind. Leaburn did that quite well on Tuesday (aleit against a League Two side). The problem is, Stockley doesn't drop off enough, and running in behind isn't really the game of our wingers. JRS and CBT have done it some this year. But our wingers are usually our out ball, and they can't both be our out ball and make the out to in runs in behind. Something has to give here, but until/if Aneke is fit, I don't know what that something is.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Good point considering. A number of players not at it today
  • Options
    1-1 very happy with that result, thanks for the updates guys, and good natured banter!
  • Options
    I'll take that. Wycombe have scored a fair few goals. 
  • Options
    Well that's another nail in our league champions coffin. 
  • Options
    Frantic first half. Scrappy dull second half. A point at Wycombe is decent but looked to me like two teams who might make the playoffs but probably won’t get promoted. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the updates and humour.

Only got the second half, so missed the feast of football that must have been.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:
    When we break there is no pass because he can't get half a yard free, because he is just so slow
    Right, which means you'd like to see him dropping off more to drag a CB with him, and then looking to get the wingers running in behind. Leaburn did that quite well on Tuesday (aleit against a League Two side). The problem is, Stockley doesn't drop off enough, and running in behind isn't really the game of our wingers. JRS and CBT have done it some this year. But our wingers are usually our out ball, and they can't both be our out ball and make the out to in runs in behind. Something has to give here, but until/if Aneke is fit, I don't know what that something is.
    I'd like to see us play with a striker who's fast enough to spin and turn in behind, or who has the quality to receive it in tight spaces, play out and find a pass, which is what a striker in this system should really be able to do. Stockley offered nothing today
  • Options
    Good point. We were the better side second half. Fingers crossed we get that striker.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Can’t understand why we haven’t made more subs. We look tired. 
    I would have brought Henry on for Fraser but I understand the hesitancy there as Henry looks lightweight at this level and Wycombe are a strong side. Beyond that, maybe DJ for JRS? Is a fresh DJ more dangerous than a tired JRS? 

Part of the problem is having to bring on Lavelle for Inniss I believe we're now out of substitution windows.
    Kirk or Morgan could easily have come off at the same time as Innis. 
    Fair, although Kirk did look like he could provide a moment of quality in the final third. I probably would have taken Fraser off instead of Albie, but I also appreciate not wanting to have Payne and Albie as your two central midfielders.

I don't know, it's a tough one. As I said after last week, Garner is going to need to rotate his squad more in the league in the weeks to come. And how he does that will be a good indicator of how we do this season. 
  • Options
    Decent point.
  • Options
    Wanted to win, but Wycombe shithousery worked on the referee for sure.
    Have to accept the result.
  • Options
    For me, bit disappointed in the manager that he didn't bring on Leaburn and DJ at 45 mins, when it was clear kirk couldn't beat his man and stockley couldn't get space for himself or win the ariels. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    SDAddick said:
    Chunes said:
    I'd like to see us play with a striker who's fast enough to spin and turn in behind, or who has the quality to receive it in tight spaces, play out and find a pass, which is what a striker in this system should really be able to do. Stockley offered nothing today
    Yeah but who is that striker at League One level? A lot of people talk about Stockton but I don't think that's him. I do think that could be Aneke but we all know the issue there.
  • Options
    Ain't getting anywhere near the play offs without investment.

Third division football, we should get used to it.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, over to the post-match thread.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!