Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cost of living crisis

Comments

• Options
    We’ll have a new PM on Monday and by Tuesday we’ll know at least some of the details of what, I assume Truss is setting out to help alleviate the crisis. The easiest and most obvious would be to scrap the cap increase and freeze prices as is. They can’t now do that because Labour and the Lib Dems have said we should. What we’ll get in place is likely to be heavily reliant on reducing tax. Personally I can’t see how that particularly helps. There will either be a collective sigh of relief or a lot of anger
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    redman said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Maybe we should have a thread on here on money saving tips rather than dig each other?
    Sorry you’re quite right. Just gets a bit tiresome with the Charlton left constantly hijacking threads with their political agenda.

This is not left or right or middle - it's about being critical of a government (i.e. those that currently govern the country and are the only people in the position to make decisions) that by any measure is a complete shower of shit.
    The cost of living crisis is happening in almost every country in the world. So to put the blame on this government is a bit ridiculous.

I'm not blaming the government for the cost of living crisis - but I am calling them out for not doing anything to mitigate it, instead they are having an internecine war that's taken six f*cking weeks to count no more than 160,000 votes while Rome burns.
    Totally agree. The optics are bad, irrespective of what’s going on behind the scenes.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Maybe we should have a thread on here on money saving tips rather than dig each other?
    Sorry you’re quite right. Just gets a bit tiresome with the Charlton left constantly hijacking threads with their political agenda.

This is not left or right or middle - it's about being critical of a government (i.e. those that currently govern the country and are the only people in the position to make decisions) that by any measure is a complete shower of shit.
    The cost of living crisis is happening in almost every country in the world. So to put the blame on this government is a bit ridiculous.
     Very few comparable countries are dealing with inflation on the level that we are, and I can’t think of any that are staring down the barrel of what we’re going to see in the near future. It’s a global issue which is particularly acute in the U.K. 
    Get your facts right. Inflation in Europe is pretty much similar to UK.
  • Options
    😂 who wakes up and sees a thread harmlessly exchanging tips about cheaper food during a cost of living crisis and thinks “right this is a good chance to call people I don’t know lefties”.  Proper odd, odd stuff.  
    So it’s on for the constant tories this and tories that then mate is it. I know you’ve defected but you’re always welcome back 😘
    No one’s talking Tories you angry man we’re talking cheap pasta and gravy granules.  Well played though the Tories will appreciate your boot licking.  
    Have a look on the gas prices thread. Two posters were called tories as an insult, one of whom is a paid up member of the Lib Dems. 
    I mean... I saw somebody spouting some nonsense defending this govt.... and said something like "I'll bet you vote Tory".... i'd also bet that we'll over half my wider family do.... 

Is that an insult?  Dunno. It's hard to imagine how anybody could defend the governance of this country over the last 15 years, let alone the current situation, if they weren't....

Plenty of cognitive dissonance posts from people who clearly vote Tory now. They face a choice - double down and defend what they have voted for somehow, or (from my perspective) confront the idea that they have enabled a whole lot of damage to UK society....

Lib dem you reckon? Doubt it. 

• Options
    I actually need some toilet rolls, usually get the Asda ones.... Any alternatives or recommendations? 
  • Options
    The Indians have an alternative.
  • Options
    Ask SethPlum (page 1)
  • Options
    Back in the day I used to go hill walking and camping in Scotland, even climbing a few Munroes.
    And yes indeed moss was a very good thing for the arse.

'The gold standard among natural toilet papers. Think of it as green Charmin. Moss is soft, absorbent, and full of iodine, a natural germ killer. It grows all over the country, and not just on the north side of trees. Don’t be particular about species. For one, it’s extremely difficult to identify. For another, it doesn’t matter. Go for it. Make sure you have more than you think you’ll need. (Note: This should probably go without saying, but the time to go look for wiping material is before you lower your trousers. It’s a lot harder to move around afterward.)'
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Back in the day I used to go hill walking and camping in Scotland, even climbing a few Munroes.
    And yes indeed moss was a very good thing for the arse.

'The gold standard among natural toilet papers. Think of it as green Charmin. Moss is soft, absorbent, and full of iodine, a natural germ killer. It grows all over the country, and not just on the north side of trees. Don’t be particular about species. For one, it’s extremely difficult to identify. For another, it doesn’t matter. Go for it. Make sure you have more than you think you’ll need. (Note: This should probably go without saying, but the time to go look for wiping material is before you lower your trousers. It’s a lot harder to move around afterward.)'
    Munroes?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I don't understand why the obvious policy cannot be implemented becuase opposition parties have it. Labour was criticised because the Lib Dems thought of it first! Pathetic, it isn't a F*ing game but people's lives. It is like the bit on Question Time when somebody asks, do you think terrorism is bad and all the panel agrees with each other. Freezing the price cap is the obvious policy here and the most likely to work as intended. It isn't a Labour flavoured policy at all.
  • Options
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Very few comparable countries are dealing with inflation on the level that we are, and I can’t think of any that are staring down the barrel of what we’re going to see in the near future. It’s a global issue which is particularly acute in the U.K. 
    Quite comfortable with my facts - very few comparable countries have inflation at or above the current level in the UK, and I’m not sure any are looking at high-teens to low twenties inflation %’s that we are facing.
  • Options
    I don't understand why the obvious policy cannot be implemented becuase opposition parties have it. Labour was criticised because the Lib Dems thought of it first! Pathetic, it isn't a F*ing game but people's lives. It is like the bit on Question Time when somebody asks, do you think terrorism is bad and all the panel agrees with each other. Freezing the price cap is the obvious policy here and the most likely to work as intended. It isn't a Labour flavoured policy at all.
    How do we freeze energy costs without tanking the £ and making a terrible situation in one sector a terrible situation across the board? I'm not trying to be contrarian btw I just don't see how borrowing or printing money when we're in such a perilous financial situation is going to work? 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Because this is a crisis, like Covid and people are going to die if we don't. And many businesses are going to go bust. Basically you have to factor in the cost of a mighty recession to boot. It ought to bring down inflation too and might give the Government a foothold in terms of pulling things back until the World situation improves.
  • Options
    Isn’t the pound tanking already before any freezing, and isn’t inflation rampant already before any pay rises kick in?
  • Options
    There's just not a good solution that I can see. Swapping an energy crisis for a food crisis (or more likely adding them together) seems the most likely outcome. It's all very depressing.
  • Options
    How do we freeze energy costs without tanking the £ and making a terrible situation in one sector a terrible situation across the board? I'm not trying to be contrarian btw I just don't see how borrowing or printing money when we're in such a perilous financial situation is going to work? 
    We have literally no alternative. We either collectively as a nation pay the additional energy costs coming down the track or the fabric of our nation collapses. It’s not that people are not willing to pay the bills. It’s because they physically can’t. Hundreds of thousands of businesses will fold. Mass unemployment and real danger of civil unrest. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Quite comfortable with my facts - very few comparable countries have inflation at or above the current level in the UK, and I’m not sure any are looking at high-teens to low twenties inflation %’s that we are facing.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate

UK 10.1% v EU 9.1% v USA 8.5% is pretty similar in my view. Serious problem yes, but serious problem worldwide. 
  • Options
    We have literally no alternative. We either collectively as a nation pay the additional energy costs coming down the track or the fabric of our nation collapses. It’s not that people are not willing to pay the bills. It’s because they physically can’t. Hundreds of thousands of businesses will fold. Mass unemployment and real danger of civil unrest. 
    True - but nothing compared to what hyper inflation might do to the country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

UK 10.1% v EU 9.1% v USA 8.5% is pretty similar in my view. Serious problem yes, but serious problem worldwide. 
    Would I be right in saying you vote Conservative? Also voted for Brexit? 
  • Options
    I know its not the right thread about this but without the house of commons area idk where to put this.

How fucking long does it take for a couple of thousand Tories to decide who all of us mugs have to put up with to "lead" this country. I can not comprehend why in a national crises this has taken so long. 
    Because, individually the "crisis" is mostly a theoretical matter for them.  It will become a crisis for them when their livelihoods and personal wellbeing are at risk.
  • Options
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

So you try to undermine my comment thatVery few comparable countries are dealing with inflation on the level that we are” by showing stats that show countries with inflation lower than the level we have? 
  • Options
    True - but nothing compared to what hyper inflation might do to the country.
    I really don’t think a lot of people (not you) realise just what a crisis this actually is. As a nation we’re worried and annoyed at this point but I don’t see much anger yet. Unless something spectacular is done to alleviate those energy prices I really don’t have what I see as a limit on what might happen. By that I mean anything is possible. From poll tax like riots right up to a political revolution. Hard to appreciate what it’s like sitting in a freezing house when it’s early September. Come November and the first real cold snap it’s going to hit home. I don’t think people will put up with it. Not when those energy bills are running in tandem with the cost of food increases week on week. Fortunately I think the government including Liz Truss also recognise that. The £100 billion needed will be found. This morning Truss was very careful not to call this a crisis. They are playing it down quite rightly but they do know that there is no alternative to a £100 billion package. Thank god too. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

So you try to undermine my comment thatVery few comparable countries are dealing with inflation on the level that we are” by showing stats that show countries with inflation lower than the level we have? 
    To be fair I think they are comparable rates. 

Not like one is 3% and another 20% 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    se9addick said:
    redman said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:

To be fair I think they are comparable rates. 

Not like one is 3% and another 20% 
    Biiiig difference between 8.5% inflation and declining and 10.1% and growing (exponentially).