Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Free Agent Market. What is out there?

edited September 2022 in General Charlton
I thought this deserved a thread of its own.

CB Is the right footed Terell Thomas training with us?

Otherwise I can't think of any options. Certainly none are left footed.

Strikers. My concern here is that most of those mentioned wouldn't be up to speed and many haven't played in over a year.

Any other random free agents that could improve us?

Comments

• Options
    Vydra and Robson kanu 
  • Options
    Vydra and Robson kanu 
    Given that Vydra scored the winner for Burnley against Wolves in April, I would be surprised if he doesn't end up with a Championship club. He turned down a contract with Burnley so money will probably be an issue too.
  • Options
    Vydra and Robson kanu 
    Robson Kanu would know Garner from West Bromwich Albion. Downside he hasn't played for a year.
  • Options
    Vydra is cloud cuckoo land thinking. He will want a fortune in wages, I'd imagine Robson-Kanu would be wantign a fair whack as well.

The lists posted so far are not particularly inspiring.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I can be bothered with this. We all know whoever's on the list will be either:- too short or too ungainly; too heavy or too lightweight, too old or too young; won't fit the system; is ill disciplined; shirks a challenge; is too cheap (wages) or too expensive; hasn't any experience playing at this level; came from Millwall or Palace and/or isn't proper Charlton. We're better off signing no one. B)

• Options
    Always liked Michael Hector but similar to those mentioned above. Would he be within budget? It is possible a short term deal until January might suit him.
  • Options
    Vydra always looks a decent Championship player to me, can't see him needing to drop down to League One, and can't see us being able to afford him.

Gary Cahill and Michael Hector still available at CB. Can't see either dropping to League One. Gaeton Bong is available at LB. Played a lot in the Championship and Prem, only played 7 times for Forest in the league last year. He might be getable, but I don't know that we'll want to spend presumably big wages on a 34 year old LB. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Vydra always looks a decent Championship player to me, can't see him needing to drop down to League One, and can't see us being able to afford him.

Gary Cahill and Michael Hector still available at CB. Can't see either dropping to League One. Gaeton Bong is available at LB. Played a lot in the Championship and Prem, only played 7 times for Forest in the league last year. He might be getable, but I don't know that we'll want to spend presumably big wages on a 34 year old LB. 
    Neil Taylor ex Villa and Wales is another Left Back on the list.
  • Options
    Ryan Bennett was released by Swansea yesterday is probably the best realistic CB option that will have at least had a pre-season I assume
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vydra is cloud cuckoo land thinking. He will want a fortune in wages, I'd imagine Robson-Kanu would be wantign a fair whack as well.

The lists posted so far are not particularly inspiring.
    Yeah agree re Vydra. Out of our league but would fit us down to a tee
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Ryan Bennett was released by Swansea yesterday is probably the best realistic CB option that will have at least had a pre-season I assume
    Agreed. No way would be have been released unless he had options lined up, and I can't see Swansea letting him join a Championship rival for nothing either, especially with them struggling at the moment
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    18 championship games last season, 28 the year before. 32 years old so not that bad for a free agent centre back. Not sure how well he suited their style considering they’ve just released him but Swansea have been playing it out from back the last 2 years so he’s at least used to it 
  • Options
    Gary nelson played for England over week. Well England veterans 
  • Options
    Sean Morrison ex Cardiff is on the list. Would he be a realistic option at Centre Back?
  • Options
    McNulty.
    Fell out with Reading and went on loan to Dundee.
    I guess no pre-season but would hopefully have time to get fit before needed.
  • Options
    Can trialists play in the pizza cup? Im
    guessing no?

is there any harm in keeping terrel Thomas on trial for a few weeks, give him u-23 mins and make a decision at the end of the month?

im guessing that someone who has played most of his career between league 1 and conference level, interest won't be high? 

If our only option between now and Jan is a free agent, why not be patient, get people on trial and see if the can fit in and offer the team anything.
  • Options
    Sean Morrison ex Cardiff is on the list. Would he be a realistic option at Centre Back?

Yep. Has a ligament injury apparently so is perfect
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    McNulty.
    Fell out with Reading and went on loan to Dundee.
    I guess no pre-season but would hopefully have time to get fit before needed.
    One very good season, nothing in the rest of his career to generate movement in my pants!!

wouldn't be a bad short term option though to protect players like Kanu being unnecessarily fast tracked into contention 
  • Options
    This isn't the list you really want to peruse with any sort of excitement after a transfer window is closed.
  • Options
    I guess we’re going to end up signing an experienced player? (If we are going to sign anyone) although I hope they can still do the business as we’ve signed some right duffers like Ben Watson who were past their best, I just don’t want to waste wages for the sake of it, ie got to be better than what we’ve got.
  • Options
    Let's face it, whatever we pick up from the bargain bucket will come under one of two headings..
    1; Will need to monitor their minutes scenario..
    2; Not up to match speed for a few weeks..
    So whoever it is or may be, we ain't gonna get a match winner from the off are we so another go on the merry go round it is until January and we can all start again..
  • Options
    Does it really matter that much if the CB isn't match fit yet? They're only really needed at this point as a back up to O'Connell who has been ever-present so far. As long as his legs don't explode we can get them up to speed when they arrive. They might never need to play if O'Connell stays fit and keeps up his current form.
  • Options
    Papa souare?

premier league experience, played
    locally so would know the area?

yes, I am looking for lols!
    Remarkable how brave people have become now that the "other" button is no longer available! 
    I wasn't scared of the other button, it added a bit of excitement 
  • Options
    Does it really matter that much if the CB isn't match fit yet? They're only really needed at this point as a back up to O'Connell who has been ever-present so far. As long as his legs don't explode we can get them up to speed when they arrive. They might never need to play if O'Connell stays fit and keeps up his current form.
    and if O'Connell has a serious injury in the next couple of games?
  • Options
    edited September 2022

If if 's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Happy Christmas!!... ;)
  • Options
    Free agents are one of:
     deluded/greedy fools who called a bluff - and lost
     have been released/paid up by 31 August cos they're a) not good enough, b) broken or c) trouble-maker
     haven't found a job since last season cos they're any of the above, plus now they're 3 months away from being anything like fit

None of which are recommendations.  None of which compare favourably with any likely reason that Ben Purrington, Conor Washington or even Jason Pearce weren't retained.
    There's your measure of who and what now has to be considered to fill the gaps in the squad.

This squad is now demonstrably thinner and weaker than how we finished last season.  There's your measure of Sandgaard's competence.  Add in the dreadful treatment of non-playing staff and we're getting a clearer picture of which direction this club is heading under this martinet. 
  • Options
    and if O'Connell has a serious injury in the next couple of games?
    You look at the squad and work out what to do. It is what managers do. 
    For me Ness steps up until that player is fit.