Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Free Agent Market. What is out there?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tony Watt - Latest breaking news rumours and gossip from Dundee United -  Sports Mole
    Nuff said.
  • Options
    Sean Morrison ex Cardiff is on the list. Would he be a realistic option at Centre Back?
    Think that's an error. Well he's at out of contract but still injured. Not sure he'll ever play again. 

On that basis, I reckon we might offer him a 1 year deal. 
  • Options
    The alternative is to stick for now. That would leave us effectively a years budget for a six month contract in January. So long as we are in touch at that stage we could afford to go big. 
  • Options
    Actually really liked Terrell Thomas when he played against us over the last couple of seasons. He’d be a solid back up this season. Upfront it really is slim pickings. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Free agents are one of:
     deluded/greedy fools who called a bluff - and lost
     have been released/paid up by 31 August cos they're a) not good enough, b) broken or c) trouble-maker
     haven't found a job since last season cos they're any of the above, plus now they're 3 months away from being anything like fit

None of which are recommendations.  None of which compare favourably with any likely reason that Ben Purrington, Conor Washington or even Jason Pearce weren't retained.
    There's your measure of who and what now has to be considered to fill the gaps in the squad.

This squad is now demonstrably thinner and weaker than how we finished last season.  There's your measure of Sandgaard's competence.  Add in the dreadful treatment of non-playing staff and we're getting a clearer picture of which direction this club is heading under this martinet. 
    Is it?

I find it funny how last year it was "get rid of them all, start from scratch"

now we are weaker without them!

I would say that sessignon and o Connell fit the system we play now better than Pearce and purrington. I definitely don't think we are weaker than last year in defence.

correct me if I'm wrong but haven't permitted squad sizes been reduced from 25 to 22? On that basis, all teams at our level have weaker squads than last season?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Free agents are one of:
     have been released/paid up by 31 August cos they're a) not good enough, b) broken or c) trouble-maker
     haven't found a job since last season cos they're any of the above, plus now they're 3 months away from being anything like fit

None of which are recommendations.  None of which compare favourably with any likely reason that Ben Purrington, Conor Washington or even Jason Pearce weren't retained.
    There's your measure of who and what now has to be considered to fill the gaps in the squad.

This squad is now demonstrably thinner and weaker than how we finished last season.  There's your measure of Sandgaard's competence.  Add in the dreadful treatment of non-playing staff and we're getting a clearer picture of which direction this club is heading under this martinet. 
    Is it?

I would say that sessignon and o Connell fit the system we play now better than Pearce and purrington. I definitely don't think we are weaker than last year in defence.

correct me if I'm wrong but haven't permitted squad sizes been reduced from 25 to 22? On that basis, all teams at our level have weaker squads than last season?
    You’re wrong, squad size has been 22 for a couple of years now.
  • Options
    Does it really matter that much if the CB isn't match fit yet? They're only really needed at this point as a back up to O'Connell who has been ever-present so far. As long as his legs don't explode we can get them up to speed when they arrive. They might never need to play if O'Connell stays fit and keeps up his current form.
    An unfit CB can be disastrous if required/called upon too early. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Free agents are one of:

Is it?

Wasn't it 25 last year? Or is that the championship?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Free agents are one of:

Is it?

Wasn't it 25 last year? Or is that the championship?
    Champ was 25 including keepers and ours was 22 excluding them. 
  • Options
    Cawley has confirmed Terell Thomas is training with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's compile another speculative list of players we will never sign.  
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    6 ft 3 CB, 26, St Lucia international, experienced in L1 and knows the club. Will be interesting to see if Garner thinks he’s up to the standard we need.
  • Options
    redman said:
    The alternative is to stick for now. That would leave us effectively a years budget for a six month contract in January. So long as we are in touch at that stage we could afford to go big. 
    If you think the free agent list looks bad in September, just wait until January…
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Richard J said:
    6 ft 3 CB, 26, St Lucia international, experienced in L1 and knows the club. Will be interesting to see if Garner thinks he’s up to the standard we need.
    If Inniss is unavailable for a couple of weeks, and one of our other CBs picks up an injury or suspension today, desperation might make this a quick decision...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Richard J said:
    If Inniss is unavailable for a couple of weeks, and one of our other CBs picks up an injury or suspension today, desperation might make this a quick decision...
    Potentially and may also be impacted by how Ness performs if he gets a chance.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Michael hector would be class, but don't see it happening with our budget, thomas being a cheaper option, but one I wouldn't have objection to, won poty at Wimbledon in this league before
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    up front is harder, to choose between the past it or crooked, sam winnall, Nathan delfouneso, Isaac vassell, marc mcnulty best of the bunch
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    up front is harder, to choose between the past it or crooked, sam winnall, Nathan delfouneso, Isaac vassell, marc mcnulty best on the bunch
    Remember the heady days of about 48 hours ago when people were sticking their noses up at Macauley Bonne!
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    A decent referee would be nice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Bump
    terrel thomas is prime maldini compared to lavelle
  • Options
    Don’t worry, Martin Saandgaaard is looking into it
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    up front is harder, to choose between the past it or crooked, sam winnall, Nathan delfouneso, Isaac vassell, marc mcnulty best of the bunch
    I don't see anyone realistic and available up front, unless we just settle for signing someone to "do a short term job"
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    I don't see anyone realistic and available up front, unless we just settle for signing someone to "do a short term job"
    I think that is what I am resigned to.

On  yesterday’s display I think we need both a Central Defender and a Left Back as well as a Striker. 

Terell Thomas would be better than no back up.Plus he needs to prove himself for another contract.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Richard J said:
    No harm in offering him a contract until January with the option to extend it as we did with CBT especially if he'd be 4th choice CB.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Thats him injured then!
  • Options
    Sam Winnal has signed for Burton.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Centre Back Michael Hector is still available.

Apparently he has been training/trialling with Luton.

Would he be worth a couple of months contract to see us through to the January window?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Is Daniel sturridge still a free agent?