Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dowie

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Its irrelevant now, Pardew is our King, we have players that want to play for us and a manager that has completely reformed the club for the better so lets not have a debate about 3 managers ago.
    And there we have it!
  • Options
    yeah, £20m later.
  • Options
    I can't wait for this season to start, as excited as I was going into the 97/98 season, we've got a team of players who want to play for Charlton, a fantastic manager, and fans who all of a sudden want to believe in the players and the club again.

The Dowie months were rubbish, as Southend said the Fulham game decided it, Coleman out did him at half time, and the game was done.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I can't wait for this season to start, as excited as I was going into the 97/98 season, we've got a team of players who want to play for Charlton, a fantastic manager, and fans who all of a sudden want to believe in the players and the club again.
    [/quote]

Amen.

COME ON YOUUUUU REDS
  • Options
    we can only judge Dowie on the facts we have, the rest is speculation and gossip for now. One thing is for sure, some of 'his' signings though proved extremely questionable: Faye, Traore, Hasselbaink, etc
  • Options
    1. I agree the word 'hate' is strong. I've always thought the same about 'hating' Palace. If I can't use it loosley then I think we should stop using it at all.

2. 'It's petty minded to hate someone for making a few mistakes in the transfer market ' Black Forest

Making a few mistakes in the transfer market. Are you purposefully trying to wind me up! That's got nothing to do with it (although admittedly it doesn't help).

Bing Addict made a pretty good summary of the reasons to 'dislike him very very very much':

Bob Dowie turning up in the dressing room at Craven Cottage
    The Newcastle Fiasco
    Dowie disappearing unannounced to visit his family
    The Court Case.

I personally consider the second in this list to be a better reason than anything we have against Palace, Millwall, Scott Parker & Jermaine Defoe even.
    I'm not going to say any more about it just yet - it just makes me so angry.

Personally I can't understand how everyone else on here is so relaxed about what he did. It certainly IS NOT IRRELEVANT now. I want him to realise how out of order he was.
  • Options
    Jimmy, I know you are wound up about this but it really is irrelevant now because he is no longer our manager.

We made a mistake appointing him, he made mistakes while he was with us and we realised our error and sacked him, that's the end of it.

I appreciate that we paid for our mistake with relegation but that's gone now and we can't change it, the only thing we can do is try and get back first time.

If Dowie really is a bluffer (and I agree that he is) then he will be found out in the fullness of time.
  • Options
    can't understand why this hits you so much Jimmy.

As for the Newcastle thing, it was a pure comic moment that has clearly got overplayed in the press. They went for a jog in the morning, like most teams do, and went left in stead of right. The 'duel carriageway' stuff is a complete over exaggeration i'm sure.

Unlike other games, we actuallly got something out of that one, and had a couple of good chances to win it, so it clearly had zero impact on performance.
  • Options
    I'm totally relaxed about the whole Dowie affair, for me he was sacked too quickly & replacing him with Les Reed was the real clanger we dropped last season.

It seems Dowie was appointed in a huge rush, he obviously didn't have time to think through his transfer strategy properly having been thrust onto a much bigger stage than he was operating on at Palace. The buys striking me as pretty much going for whoever was available at the time. He undoubtedly had to buy though to make up the squad numbers as Curbs had left us in a right old mess.

If Dowie had continued for a few more weeks he would have turned it around - maybe. Don't forget though that his hands were tied to a certain extent by the revolutionairy new managerial hierarchy imposed on him by the club.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

We will never know what he would have done had he been allowed to see out his contract.
    Len, we've done this one FFS. Your fella could have stayed if he would sign a new deal. You CANNOT have a manager seeing out the last year of his contract and then pissing off elsewhere. Once AC had refused a new deal he had to go. Please understand that.
    As for Dowie, I liked him, and let's be honest could we be in a worse posistion if he had stayed? No.

The players liked him but the board didn't.
    The ridculous appointment of Les Reed ruined our season. FACT.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And another thing, JFH was a target for the CLUB before we signed Dowie.