Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

JOIN A Q&A WITH BEN GARNER AT THE VALLEY

13»

Comments

• Free food? Bugger, I left too early!
  • Pico said:
    Thanks, CAST. That was great. 

Could you offer to relay the FF minutes to the faithful next time, please ? 
  • Hard not to be critical when you help run the best supporters group but I wouldn't have had three guests and wouldn't have asked all three the same question as that took too long and added little.

But the questions were asked in a professional way. Just felt like we were working through them rather than responding to the responses.

But it wasn't the stage managed, no criticism, putin style event some were claiming it would be beforehand.

Thought there was a lot more than 60 there, closer to 100 but I wasn't counting.

Free food at the end too.

One thing seems sure, BG believes in his style of play and is going to stick with it.

Scott = defence, de Souza = midfield, Hayes = attack and set pieces.

I didn't think de Souza's job was team coaching? His original remit seemed more to do with individual coaching

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/6262720a6c8e8/jon-de-souza-appointed-as-mens-first-team-development-coach
  • Ditto what Fanny just posted.

CAST so impressive, take a bow.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Hard not to be critical when you help run the best supporters group but I wouldn't have had three guests and wouldn't have asked all three the same question as that took too long and added little.

But the questions were asked in a professional way. Just felt like we were working through them rather than responding to the responses.

But it wasn't the stage managed, no criticism, putin style event some were claiming it would be beforehand.

Thought there was a lot more than 60 there, closer to 100 but I wasn't counting.

One thing seems sure, BG believes in his style of play and is going to stick with it.

Our set pieces have been appalling this year. Think Ben needs to reassess this if things don't improve.
    Funny enough one of the questions was about how we'd scored no goals from set pieces but 40% had of Barnsley''s goals had come from them.

Before Hayes could respond Garner said "scored two, conceded one"

AH agreed it was an area we needed to improve though.

This was another example of the lack of a follow-up question.

Clearly if we've only conceded once they aren't all terrible but we're not scoring enough full stop, not just from set pieces.

Yeah our defending has been fine from them (unlike our defending in open play), we just haven't even remotely threatened from attacking set pieces.

I can't think of the 2 we have scored from set pieces even including cup games, which is an irrelevance really.

Maybe he is including Stockleys penalty.

Let's hope we do see an improvement AKA just get the ball in the box into decent areas / the head of Inniss instead of trying to be cute. 
  • Who hosted?
    A girl/female/woman/lady.
    She was professional, but when she said I've learnt quite a bit about football tonight, a little bit of me was, well I don't know but I think many will know what I'm saying / not saying. 
    Charlotte did ok, but like a lot of Q&A hosts there were too many "This is a good questjon"  "That's a great answer".
  • Thanks for the notes CAST 

I thought it was interesting that Ben's family are still in Bristol.

Presumably from his Rovers days.

No commute at all to Swindon but a long haul to Eltham so I guess he has a place nearby.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Hard not to be critical when you help run the best supporters group but I wouldn't have had three guests and wouldn't have asked all three the same question as that took too long and added little.

Our set pieces have been appalling this year. Think Ben needs to reassess this if things don't improve.
    Funny enough one of the questions was about how we'd scored no goals from set pieces but 40% had of Barnsley''s goals had come from them.

Before Hayes could respond Garner said "scored two, conceded one"

AH agreed it was an area we needed to improve though.

This was another example of the lack of a follow-up question.

Clearly if we've only conceded once they aren't all terrible but we're not scoring enough full stop, not just from set pieces.

Yeah our defending has been fine from them (unlike our defending in open play), we just haven't even remotely threatened from attacking set pieces.

I can't think of the 2 we have scored from set pieces even including cup games, which is an irrelevance really.

Maybe he is including Stockleys penalty.

Let's hope we do see an improvement AKA just get the ball in the box into decent areas / the head of Inniss instead of trying to be cute. 
    Henry v QPR is one I assume.
  • Regrettably no question about our very poor disciplinary record, or the yellow cards Garner has received.
    The closest the report mentions is a comparison mentioned by Garner between league one and league two referees.
    I worry that there is an indication there that he is an excuses and blame others manager.
  • Who hosted?
    A girl/female/woman/lady.
    She was professional, but when she said I've learnt quite a bit about football tonight, a little bit of me was, well I don't know but I think many will know what I'm saying / not saying. 
    How dare you assume her pronouns 
  • Charlottes great and a lovely person. I’d have gone if I realised she was hosting!  

Seems like the evening was ‘survived’ with no negative fallout, which given all the fan unrest noise at the moment I suppose will be view on as a success
  • Thanks CAST. I'm glad I read that report as I was starting to form an impression that the Q and A was just a box ticking exercise.
    Shame, as @Henry Irving stressed, that there were no follow up questions, although I guess they wanted to avoid it turning into a grilling.
    So it seems we have to face up to the fact that this project will take time.
    Will the fans be patient if we are not consistently winning games? Who knows. I am not even sure that I have the patience anymore.
    Also, I didn't like that bit about not being given any assurances regarding January window.
    Why not Sandguard? Can you at least look like your heart is still in it.
  • Q: What are your non-negotiables ?

Didn’t realise Jake Humphrey was a fan…

Given Ben’s later answer referencing the High Performance Podcast, I suspect he provided not just the answers, but also some of the questions 
  • Q: How do you plan for each game ?

BG: We train from Tuesday through to Saturday (not a day off on Wednesday). It is about finding a balance between preparing for the specific opposition but also working on what we can do to affect the game. We have two full-time analysts and two interns who provide visual clips. During a game we can consult our IPad and react to what is happening. We have an IPad with a time delay so we can watch fifteen seconds before an incident occurs. We have to adapt, make decisions and get information to the players.

Can I have one of these iPads please and put @bobmunro into early retirement:-) 

Pleased you mentioned that, AFKA.

Thought it was just me !
  • seth plum said:
    Regrettably no question about our very poor disciplinary record, or the yellow cards Garner has received.
    The closest the report mentions is a comparison mentioned by Garner between league one and league two referees.
    I worry that there is an indication there that he is an excuses and blame others manager.
    Two of my three questions were asked by Charlotte, the third being around disciplinary this season, which was not touched upon post their vetting… I was hoping the mic was going to be passed around, but nope…
  • Sponsored links:

BG: We train from Tuesday through to Saturday (not a day off on Wednesday). It is about finding a balance between preparing for the specific opposition but also working on what we can do to affect the game. We have two full-time analysts and two interns who provide visual clips. During a game we can consult our IPad and react to what is happening. We have an IPad with a time delay so we can watch fifteen seconds before an incident occurs. We have to adapt, make decisions and get information to the players.

its so they can watch it live during the game, then watch the replay on the delayed feed to see a better view of what happened 

It’s a new feature on the latest version of Bernard’s Watch.

• edited September 2022

Q: How do you plan for each game ?

In the new series of Doctor Who, the Doctor will be fighting Daleks and Cybermen, and helping Ben Garner by using the Tardis to go back 15 seconds and see incidents before they happen...
  • Just read the CAST notes. Garner is from Croydon?! why was I not made aware of this?! Get rid immediately. 
  • Not sure what the club gets out of having to send in questions before hand to a Q and A with Garner so they can be vetted. If they are worried what he’s going to say then they need to ban local journalists as he will give them a straight and honest answer anyway as proved in todays press conference. (Lack of budget)

Bet Meire wish she had that idea back in the day 
  • seth plum said:
    Regrettably no question about our very poor disciplinary record, or the yellow cards Garner has received.

Agree. I was very disappointed when he made his cheap dig.  Never liked managers whom always blame officials.  It was a very Mark Hughes trait.