Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Picketing the Club Shop

I have spent three months trying to negotiate with Castore so that my new book could be sold through the Club Shop. I offered them an attractive deal whereby they would make £10 per copy sold and the books would be supplied on a 'sale or return' basis. They finally responded and it was no surprise that they do not want to sell the book. (No reason was given). As anyone who has visited the shop lately is already aware, they only want to sell their high priced clothing. I am therefore picketing the shop on match days and will be handed out leaflets. Prospective customers will be directed to the stall in Ransom Walk. It is only a few yards away and will in future be selling my book along with a full range of Charlton memorabilia. Christmas is coming and it will make an ideal gift for your loved ones.

Comments

• Options
    Ridiculous, it’s hardly like your book is competition for the stuff they’re selling. 

Is it better for you if I buy my copy from the stall rather than Amazon? Happy to do either but I assume Amazon take a big slice of the dosh.
  • Options
    Who would ever have thought that we’d see the day when a Charlton club shop would not want to stock such a book.
    It certainly makes an interesting story. If only we had a fanzine to tell it ;). I wonder if When Saturday Comes or someone like that might take it up.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    se9addick said:
    Ridiculous, it’s hardly like your book is competition for the stuff they’re selling. 

Is it better for you if I buy my copy from the stall rather than Amazon? Happy to do either but I assume Amazon take a big slice of the dosh.
    I will make the same amount either way. If you buy from the stall opposite the Club Shop, then he will make the £10. 
    Cool, I’ll buy it from the stall in that case 
  • Options
    Is the book available online?
  • Options
    Who would ever have thought that we’d see the day when a Charlton club shop would not want to stock such a book.
    Hmmm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is the book available online?
    I have copies for sale in the Museum or you can email me at info@dixiefriedpublishing.co.uk.
  • Options
    Appalling - I can’t believe you offered them £10 - that must wipe out your margin ???

But - the wider story here - get the book online, in a way that benefits the author the most - @killerjerrylee perhaps you could ‘guide’ us on that ???

Alongside that - well folks - how do businesses that rely on retail sales fail - easy answer - people stop buying from them - I ain’t saying that Charlton fans not buying from the club shop will being Castore down (although I think they will go the same way as Woodworm in cricket personally) - but it will see them say ‘fuck this, what a bad move to do the Charlton kit’

Fucking madness - you can’t even get a scarf ……

TS has gone from A1 (on the back of big words) to grade A c***
  • Options
    Utterly baffling.  What idiot signed this Castore contract that gives them such power.  Just ridiculous.
    Good luck on the book sales 
  • Options
    I am perfectly happy to sell the book direct or through a third party. Obviously I make the most if I sell direct, but it really is not  about making money, (although I am not against that!). I just want to get the book in front of Charlton supporters so they can decide for themselves if they want to buy it. The attitude of the Castore Shop just makes no commercial sense. I am sure that my picketing the shop will make no difference to them, but it might just piss them off a little. 
  • Options
    I am perfectly happy to sell the book direct or through a third party. Obviously I make the most if I sell direct, but it really is not  about making money, (although I am not against that!). I just want to get the book in front of Charlton supporters so they can decide for themselves if they want to buy it. The attitude of the Castore Shop just makes no commercial sense. I am sure that my picketing the shop will make no difference to them, but it might just piss them off a little. 
    So how do we buy direct please - via the email you posted ?

If so how do we pay ?
  • Options
    What’s the likelihood Of the following? 

Castore and Charlton/TS have agreement that a % of profit made in club store is given to Charlton/TS

The club/TS hasn’t paid the debt owed to Castore, so they are refusing to hand over the lesser see. away kit.

Castore refuse to stock anything new/likely to sell well as it would mean profit going to club/TS

Just a thought
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I’m hearing they are going to be selling Zynex electronic medical equipment, getting new stock in, in time for the expected Christmas rush.🤭
  • Options

If so how do we pay ?
    Email me at info@dixiefriedpublishing.co.uk and I will send you the payment options.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If so how do we pay ?
    Email me at info@dixiefriedpublishing.co.uk and I will send you the payment options.
    👍

Will do that tomorrow mate 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Castore and Charlton/TS have agreement that a % of profit made in club store is given to Charlton/TS

The club/TS hasn’t paid the debt owed to Castore, so they are refusing to hand over the lesser see. away kit.

Castore refuse to stock anything new/likely to sell well as it would mean profit going to club/TS

Just a thought
    Doesn't add up.

Castore pay Charlton, not the other way round.

Castore run the shop not Sandgaard.

Charlton get a lump sum and then a percentage of sales (at least that has been the case previously) so it's to the club's advantage for the shop to sell as much stock as possible.

Castore haven't supplied other club's shop either so a lot of this is on them.

What we don't know are the details of the deal with Castore.

My fear is that the club took a bigger cash upfront deal and didn't factor in the value of whole package which is the amount of free kit supplied to all the teams, not just the men's first team but the women, all the academy sides, even the community trust.

If they took a smaller amount of free kits as part of the deal that would explain why many of the academy sides seem to still be wearing hummer. Extra kit has to be bought albeit at wholesale, not retail, prices.

Or it could be that Castore have just over committed to too many teams and can't physically get the kits they agreed to supply to Sparrows Lane.

This is not to excuse Sandgaard and his staff. They should have taken more precautions to avoid this situation, should have looked at how high the retail prices were, Castore's track record elsewhere and they should be saying more about what is and isn't happening now but Castore are certainly a big part of the problem.

The club could and should, IMHO, have brought the club shop operation back in house, same with the catering, but I think they saw two cash payments upfront and not having to manage the staff as an easier option.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    sammy391 said:

Just a thought
    Doesn't add up.

Charlton get a lump sum and then a percentage of sales (at least that has been the case previously) so it's to the club's advantage for the shop to sell as much stock as possible.

My fear is that the club took a bigger cash upfront deal and didn't factor in the value of whole package which is the amount of free kit supplied to all the teams, not just the men's first team but the women, all the academy sides, even the community trust.

If they took a smaller amount of free kits as part of the deal that would explain why many of the academy sides seem to still be wearing hummer. Extra kit has to be bought albeit at wholesale, not retail, prices.

Or it could be that Castore have just over committed to too many teams and can't physically get the kits they agreed to supply to Sparrows Lane.

This is not to excuse Sandgaard and his staff. They should have taken more precautions to avoid this situation, should have looked at how high the retail prices were, Castore's track record elsewhere and they should be saying more about what is and isn't happening now but Castore are certainly a big part of the problem.

The club could and should, IMHO, have brought the club shop operation back in house, same with the catering, but I think they saw two cash payments upfront and not having to manage the staff as an easier option.
    I don’t like outsourcing and clearly Castore are in a mess, but can you imagine the club in its current state running the shop satisfactorily?   

I’d need to see them run the proverbial whelk stall before I’d be persuaded.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Just a thought
    Doesn't add up.

I don’t like outsourcing and clearly Castore are in a mess, but can you imagine the club in its current state running the shop satisfactorily?   

Very true
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Bod said:
    PopIcon said:
    Fucking ridiculous. Never have i felt so disengaged by the club i grew up loving.
    You are not alone.
    I am here with you
    Me too!
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Just a thought
    Doesn't add up.

I can see all the signs of a future Meal Deal on the horizon, 11 Chips and 4 Whelks £7.00! Bargain!
  • Options