Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

edited November 2022 in General Charlton
Just over a month until the greatest sporting occasion on earth begins, so thought time to begin discussing it.

Who are you favourites? Dark horses? Top Scorer? How do you think England (or Wales) will get on? and CL members heading over?....any all other general discussion regarding the tournament.

I cant wait for it to get under way, the thought of 4 international games a day is heaven to me. Cant see past Brazil and the moment with all the attacking flair they have but this is probably the most open tournament on paper that I can remember, with the timing and many teams in and out of form. Plus, is the Brazil defence all that? 

Many can see England getting France in the QF's which would be an awesome spectacle but Denmark are my dark horses and wouldn't be surprised to see them actually win the group with the French and potentially setting up a QF tie with us (if we get there!).

This is a football only discussion, so please leave all the political and human rights stuff for elsewhere.

EDIT: Mods please move to football/other sports section as currently under 'not sports related', thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Should just give the trophy to Brazil now and avoid the disruption to the football season!
  • Options
    I'm heading over for our USA and Wales group games.

Winners - i can't see beyond Brazil or France. 

It won't work out like this as there will be upsets along the way but the quarter finals could be very good if all the favourites win their groups and last 16 games.

Holland v Argentina
    Spain v Brazil
    England v France
    Belgium v Portugal
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I think we need two or three players to find form and we have a chance. That and Southgate needs to grow a pair which might be the biggest issue in the later stages of the competition. We have a nice relatively easy group which could get us going.
  • Options
    Could Holland finally play as a team and go on and win something.....nah probably not.

Germany.
  • Options
    I think France will be the team to beat again.
  • Options
    Just over a month until the greatest sporting occasion on earth begins, so thought time to begin discussing it.

Who are you favourites? Dark horses? Top Scorer? How do you think England (or Wales) will get on? and CL members heading over?....any all other general discussion regarding the tournament.

I cant wait for it to get under way, the thought of 4 international games a day is heaven to me. Cant see past Brazil and the moment with all the attacking flair they have but this is probably the most open tournament on paper that I can remember, with the timing and many teams in and out of form. Plus, is the Brazil defence all that? 

Many can see England getting France in the QF's which would be an awesome spectacle but Denmark are my dark horses and wouldn't be surprised to see them actually win the group with the French and potentially setting up a QF tie with us (if we get there!).

This is a football only discussion, so please leave all the political and human rights stuff for elsewhere.

EDIT: Mods please move to football/other sports section as currently under 'not sports related', thanks.
    They have Thiago Silva, Marquinhos and Militao so are solid at centre back. Full backs not so good (Emerson Royal, Danilo, Alex Telles). Also have 2 of the best keepers in the world to choose from.

But their strength is as always in attack, Neymar, Raphinha, Jesus, Firmino, Vinicius, Antony, Richarlison, Martinelli. So they'll probably be good enough to beat a lot of sides.
  • Options
    They are almost as out of form as us, and have a very good Denmark team in their group (who beat them recently). 
  • Options
    A lot of 'working from home' incoming 

Hard to see past Brazil with their squad, France the next best

Think Belgium could also finally do something 
  • Options
    Obviously will watch it as it's a world cup, but a world cup in Qatar feels so wrong & shouldn't be happening.  The whole thing stinks.

Having a world cup mid season feels really weird too.

As for our chances, I don't have very high expectations.......maybe that's a good thing!!
  • Options
    Obviously will watch it as it's a world cup, but a world cup in Qatar feels so wrong & shouldn't be happening.  The whole thing stinks.

As for our chances, I don't have very high expectations.......maybe that's a good thing!!
    I actually think a mid-season on World Cup could be good, players at their peak rather than at the end of a long season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brazil or France for me as well

Looks like tickets are fairly easy to come by so I’ll play it by ear and see how we get on

Did Brazil v England in Qatar in 2009 and didn’t like the experience at all so wouldn’t be rushing back
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I actually think a mid-season on World Cup could be good, players at their peak rather than at the end of a long season. 
    Plus it's cold and miserable in November so it's something to enjoy on TV for a month!
  • Options
    They are almost as out of form as us, and have a very good Denmark team in their group (who beat them recently). 
    Not to mention there is the holders curse
  • Options
    Brazil or France for me as well

Looks like tickets are fairly easy to come by so I’ll play it by ear and see how we get on

Did Brazil v England in Qatar in 2009 and didn’t like the experience at all so wouldn’t be rushing back
    What was it that you didn't like, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    Doha has developed massively since 2009
  • Options
    Buzzing for sure. I am out there for a week, in england end for USA and Wales game. Quietly confident it will be a superb experience despite all the media negative coverage about accomodation, beers, etc. 

I would put my life on the World Cup returning to South America for the first time in 20 years.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I agree and personally i think once the tournament starts 99% of people won't care where it's being held and will just enjoy watching 2/3/4 games every day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a bit weird, maybe where it is? Maybe when? also how bad England have been of late...

However, i still can't wait. There are tonnes of negatives but its the world cup, when push comes to shove we will all get behind the boys and hopefully watch a few games with friends/family. I have a random Tuesday booked off and am going into London with a couple friends just a day of watching footy and England aren't even playing.

Too soon for predictions, but if we can actually let our attacking players play and express themselves we will have a chance, if we sit back we will end up being disappointed and going home QF's. 
  • Options
    If I had a choice would I have held it  in Qatar- no
    not cause of the human right records etc, (I don’t really care, like I don’t care the Saudis own Newcastle ) but because I think it should go to proper footballing nations. 

However, I am looking forward to it. 
    I watch the games at home these days so the whole pub thing doesn’t bother me and I am sure as the tournament goes on everyone will get invested in it. 
  • Options
    England have gone from having too many right backs to now potentially not having enough.

Kyle Walker faces a race to be fit and now it looks like Reece James' knee injury is worse than first thought and he could miss the tournament. Add to that TAA being hopelessly out of form (and also currently injured) and suddenly we've got a right back crisis.
  • Options
    Does TAA start ahead of Trippier on current form?
  • Options
    Nope Trippier for sure, still very good going forward and steady defensively. 
  • Options
    I tink TAA should be ahead of Tripier. He has time to improve form wise.
  • Options
    TAA is a far superior footballer to Trippier but he’s not Southgates cup of tea at all. I think Trent is the ideal RWB on paper as he’s good on the ball with lapses at the back. I think if Liverpool played 5 at the back he’d have more caps 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Trippier has had a better season so far.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Does TAA start ahead of Trippier on current form?
    Southgate will definitely start Trippier because he's more solid defensively. TAA might get the Wales game if we've won the first 2 games.
  • Options
    Sorry but nah. Trippier can actually defend and can take free kicks and corners as good as TAA can. Open play passing TAA has the edge but I don’t want him anywhere near the England team partly because his defending is shite but also his confidence is absolutely shot. Imagine we lose to Iran or USA and he has a mare? 

Who else do we take as striker backup is a concern as well. Outside of Kane nobody is really standing out.