Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

1167168169170171173»

Comments

• Options
    Great tournament and ended up getting the final it deserved. I just hope FIFA don't fuck the next one up with a stupid format.
  • Options
    Great tournament and ended up getting the final it deserved. I just hope FIFA don't fuck the next one up with a stupid format.

I don't trust the fifa bald bloke. He likes the cameras, wants attention and is displaying some bs enthusiasm

If you're gana get all touchy feely with Lionel Messi then it is strange and just disrespectful. You're not on the same wavelength.
    Should only be star struck and then leave him alone 

• Options
    It seems they might reverse the bizarre decision to go to 3 team groups, after the excitement of the final group games this time
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Dave2l said:

I don't trust the fifa bald bloke.
    I believe that's his official title. 
  • Options
    It seems they might reverse the bizarre decision to go to 3 team groups, after the excitement of the final group games this time

But still probably have third place teams qualifying. 72 games to eliminate only 16 teams. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022

But still probably have third place teams qualifying. 72 games to eliminate only 16 teams. 
    The best set up (other than the 32 team tournament we have) would be 12 groups of 4 with 24 teams qualifying for the knockout stage.

Eight best group winners advance immediately to the round of 16.

Four worst group winners and 12 runners up play in a preliminary knockout round to determine who advances to round of 16.

This would incentivise teams to win all three group games as they would benefit from a few extra days of rest between the groups and knockouts. Plus it would avoid situations like France & Brazil resting players and subsequently losing to Tunisia & Cameroon.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

The best set up (other than the 32 team tournament we have) would be 12 groups of 4 with 24 teams qualifying for the knockout stage.

Four worst group winners and 12 runners up play in a preliminary knockout round to determine who advances to round of 16.

This would incentivise teams to win all three group games as they would benefit from a few extra days of rest between the groups and knockouts. Plus it would avoid situations like France & Brazil resting players and subsequently losing to Tunisia & Cameroon.
    It would also create a nice symmetry between the increase in group groups and increase in knockout games.

48 group games becomes 72 group games. (50% increase)

16 knockout games becomes 24 knockout games. (50% increase)

FIFA get a 96 game World Cup instead of an 80 game World Cup (under current proposal) so they and the broadcasters are also happy.

The one downside is that it increases the maximum possible games for each team from 7 to 8. However I'd be shocked if a team that had to play a preliminary knockout game ended up in the final as they'd be at quite a disadvantage.
  • Options

It would also create a nice symmetry between the increase in group groups and increase in knockout games.

48 group games becomes 72 group games. (50% increase)

16 knockout games becomes 24 knockout games. (50% increase)

FIFA get a 96 game World Cup instead of an 80 game World Cup (under current proposal) so they and the broadcasters are also happy.

The one downside is that it increases the maximum possible games for each team from 7 to 8. However I'd be shocked if a team that had to play a preliminary knockout game ended up in the final as they'd be at quite a disadvantage.
    I definitely think that is much better than 3rd placed teams going through, which is what they did when there were 24 teams. It would mean 8 matches for the winners, so maybe that will put FIFA off. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Only if the tournament winners turned out to not be one of the best eight group winners. Not impossible but unlikely they’d get through both R16 and QF games IMO - especially because of the extra rest group winners would get.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not a bad shout to be honest but would be harsh to win your group and then have to play a preliminary round.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I don't trust the fifa bald bloke. He likes the cameras, wants attention and is displaying some bs enthusiasm

If you're gana get all touchy feely with Lionel Messi then it is strange and just disrespectful. You're not on the same wavelength.
    Should only be star struck and then leave him alone 

White trainers with a suit ain't a good look either.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    There was a Reddit post years back, where someone devised an FA cup style knockout for the world cup, gave smaller nations a chance with no qualifying needed. Nations that maybe wouldn't ever play each other getting drawn etc. Was great the thought put into it.
  • Options
    The performance of Messi when compared to that of Ronaldo and Bale, shows you can't just turn up expecting to be at the top of your game.
  • Options
    Only if the tournament winners turned out to not be one of the best eight group winners. Not impossible but unlikely they’d get through both R16 and QF games IMO - especially because of the extra rest group winners would get.
    No, I was talking about if they have the third placed teams going through to the last 32. Then they would play 8. 
  • Options
    In an example which shows how well Brighton are run, Mac Allister signed a new contract with them in OCTOBER. I bet his value has doubled since the World Cup.
  • Options
    Fair play to him, he's done a brilliant job there, 3rd at one Copa America, then won the next, won the Finalissima, now won the world cup.

He also made a number of selection changes throughout the tournament to adapt to different teams and situations. I don't think they fielded the same starting XI for 2 consecutive games all tournament, which is bold as generally a manager has a preferred XI and sticks with it unless there are injuries.
  • Options
    Fair play to him, he's done a brilliant job there, 3rd at one Copa America, then won the next, won the Finalissima, now won the world cup.

He also made a number of selection changes throughout the tournament to adapt to different teams and situations. I don't think they fielded the same starting XI for 2 consecutive games all tournament, which is bold as generally a manager has a preferred XI and sticks with it unless there are injuries.
    On the flip side, they also threw away two two-goal leads and fortunately won on pens in both of those. He got away with the Di Maria substitution early in the Final. They also lost their first game and had a suspension for the semi-final, so changes had to be made. Fair play to them for winning it, but I think they owe a lot of that too one man in particular and as with all international tournaments, a big slice of luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Argentina were excellent

It was a full team effort, every player and their coaching staff

They didn't allow the SA defeat to close them off and completely lose self belief.

They won the world Cup for a reason and it wasn't just because they have messi
  • Options
    Maybe one day we’ll get the luck of an easy draw and win a tournament 
  • Options

On the flip side, they also threw away two two-goal leads and fortunately won on pens in both of those. He got away with the Di Maria substitution early in the Final. They also lost their first game and had a suspension for the semi-final, so changes had to be made. Fair play to them for winning it, but I think they owe a lot of that too one man in particular and as with all international tournaments, a big slice of luck.
    Yes the Di Maria sub was a strange one, but you could argue it was a masterstroke to start him as he tore Kounde apart.

Saudi game was one of those things. If they played them another 10 times they'd win every one.

But of course yes 100% they owe it to Messi, not a chance they even get near the final without him.
  • Options
    Qatar voted the best world cup this century.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64075135