Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

T20 World Cup 2022

Comments

• Options
    There's probably about 70k Indians currently trying to sell final tickets online now
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    No names but I know of someone who would be taking nothing but singles given these circumstances
    Got to laugh. Cracking win but you still take the opportunity to dig out someone not even playing. 
    Why miss an opportunity. This was the guy after all who almost cost us our place here with his 56 runs off 68 balls against Afghanistan and Ireland. Little wonder we've done so well with him facing just one ball in the last three games. 
    6th World ranked T20 batsman Living rent free in your head 😂😂. 

Yes but you need to understand how those stats work. He averages 28 in this World Cup. That's really good until one takes into account his strike rate of 82.35 and the fact that him taking us to 18.1 overs to beat Afghanistan and losing to Ireland is all about him preserving his wicket. That is why he was dropped to 8. 

As I say, one England player described him as the most selfish cricketer he has met both on and off the pitch. That is evidenced by the way he bats, the way he would rather run out his partner than himself and the way he bleated about not being given a Central Contract this year. Our number 8 being handed one of those. LOL!
  • Options
    No names but I know of someone who would be taking nothing but singles given these circumstances
    Got to laugh. Cracking win but you still take the opportunity to dig out someone not even playing. 
    Why miss an opportunity. This was the guy after all who almost cost us our place here with his 56 runs off 68 balls against Afghanistan and Ireland. Little wonder we've done so well with him facing just one ball in the last three games. 

Yes but you need to understand how those stats work. He averages 28 in this World Cup. That's really good until one takes into account his strike rate of 82.35 and the fact that him taking us to 18.1 overs to beat Afghanistan and losing to Ireland is all about him preserving his wicket. That is why he was dropped to 8. 

As I say, one England player described him as the most selfish cricketer he has met both on and off the pitch. That is evidenced by the way he bats, the way he would rather run out his partner than himself and the way he bleated about not being given a Central Contract this year. Our number 8 being handed one of those. LOL!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Chizz said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

I get the cheap jibe but very difficult to do so when you constantly witness what he is capable of doing. Having to sit there watching him scoring 18 off 30 against Afghanistan in chasing 131 off 18.1 overs and then 35 off 37 against Ireland to lose us the game when he knew it was going to rain and the scoreboard was screaming at him what the DLS par score was isn't fun for an England fan. We've got to the World Cup Final in spite of him not because of him. 
  • Options

Everything I say about that bloke comes from not just what I've seen but also what I have been told about him. He never does anything to change that perception.
    So we've done well because Malan has been out? You might be right, we might not have won today had he been playing...

He does something right, he keeps getting picked by multiple captains and coaches. I have to admit I wouldn't have Malan in my team but the grief he gets is a still over the top. 
  • Options
    Wow. Been busy this morning, so not following the scoreline!

England's batting approach is riskier than some other teams, but when it comes off it really comes off. It makes some of the other countries look quite passive at the top of the order.

Two teams who gained form as the tournament went on, and peaked in the semis.
  • Options

Everything I say about that bloke comes from not just what I've seen but also what I have been told about him. He never does anything to change that perception.
    So we've done well because Malan has been out? You might be right, we might not have won today had he been playing...

He does something right, he keeps getting picked by multiple captains and coaches. I have to admit I wouldn't have Malan in my team but the grief he gets is a still over the top. 
    It's only "over the top" if you didn't know what motivates him. Himself and not the team. His success was based on batting on roads which, historically, they have been. The second they get a bit difficult he just chews up balls and doesn't even rotate to get the hitter on strike. 
  • Options
    Seb says that 95% of the crowd hence the lack of noise when we hit a boundary or took a wicket
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I care more about England winning this game than the final. Very important that neither Australia nor India win the whole thing
    100% agree. God that felt good
  • Options

The reason why he was dropped to 8 is that his game isn't coming in and smashing it from ball 1. He is in the side if we lose an early wicket and need someone in to knock it around. Malan is a horses for courses cricketer. To be honest i think it's a role that Root would be ideal at, but i am not a selector. 

He has been picked by the England Selectors to come to this tournament. He has started all of the games he has been fit for. If he is as selfish as your England Player says, then why would he get anywhere near the squad, or being a first choice in the side? 

Just to double check i had a quick look at ESPNCricInfo

Malan's International T20 Average of 38.84 and strike rate of 135.

For todays Heroes 

Buttler's Average's34.81 and a strike rate of 144
    Hales' Average's 31.4 and a strike rate of 138
    Bairstow who would have opened in the Tournament if he wasn't injured has an average of 27.85 and a strike rate of 136 

Not entirely different is it ?  

• Options

The reason why he was dropped to 8 is that his game isn't coming in and smashing it from ball 1. He is in the side if we lose an early wicket and need someone in to knock it around. Malan is a horses for courses cricketer. To be honest i think it's a role that Root would be ideal at, but i am not a selector. 

He has been picked by the England Selectors to come to this tournament. He has started all of the games he has been fit for. If he is as selfish as your England Player says, then why would he get anywhere near the squad, or being a first choice in the side? 

For todays Heroes 

Bairstow who would have opened in the Tournament if he wasn't injured has an average of 27.85 and a strike rate of 136 

As I say on roads he's fine and his selfishness is less obvious. But the second the wicket gets difficult he will be in trouble. He doesn't "knock it around" either - he has one the worst dot ball records of all top 5 batsmen. At least we're agreed that Root should have been picked for this WC if we wanted someone different. And I hope we stick with Salt for the final even if Malan is fit. 
  • Options
    It's always incredibly satisfying to beat India, but to do it in the way we did today is extremely special 
  • Options
    Great game 
    Great result 
    Can't wait for the final. 

Oh

And England are a stronger side with Malan not playing.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I really do think that England would still have won if Malan had not been coming in a three, instead of Salt not coming in at three.
    An astute observation, Chizzy!
  • Options
    The only way today could have been better was if Kohli was captain and being interviewed at the end. 
  • Options

For todays Heroes 

As I say on roads he's fine and his selfishness is less obvious. But the second the wicket gets difficult he will be in trouble. He doesn't "knock it around" either - he has one the worst dot ball records of all top 5 batsmen. At least we're agreed that Root should have been picked for this WC if we wanted someone different. And I hope we stick with Salt for the final even if Malan is fit. 
    Have you got a link to that dot ball stat ? 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

It's only "over the top" if you didn't know what motivates him. Himself and not the team. His success was based on batting on roads which, historically, they have been. The second they get a bit difficult he just chews up balls and doesn't even rotate to get the hitter on strike. 
    Regardless, the digs at him are boring, especially when he's not even playing. You said he "doesn't even rotate to get the hitter on strike" and he also "would have been taking nothing about singles". I think your dislike of him is so strong you're contradicting yourself. Plus if Malan had come in today with 30 needed off 40 and taken a few singles it wouldn't have mattered would it? It's when you need 80 off 50 that he becomes a liability. There's a time and a place for Malan, but he shouldn't be above Root and I don't think he should make the side. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Regardless, the digs at him are boring, especially when he's not even playing. You said he "doesn't even rotate to get the hitter on strike" and he also "would have been taking nothing about singles". I think your dislike of him is so strong you're contradicting yourself. Plus if Malan had come in today with 30 needed off 40 and taken a few singles it wouldn't have mattered would it? It's when you need 80 off 50 that he becomes a liability. There's a time and a place for Malan, but he shouldn't be above Root and I don't think he should make the side. 

He doesn't rotate (check the stats if you don't believe me) in the Power Play but if and when we need a dozen he would just be taking nothing but singles as opposed to winning it with boundaries as Buttler and Hales were trying to do simply because he loves the red ink that will preserve his average. No contradiction whatsoever there. And it is that attitude that cost us our NRR against Afghanistan and our defeat to Ireland. Or would you dispute that? 

Anyway it is boring but I do find it interesting that you chose to pick up that one comment of mine from hundreds that I've posted during the course of the game. It must have been that much more interesting than all the others!

And I'm told that he was in the nets and fit enough to run around doing 12th man duties. So he should be fine for the final if selected.
  • Options
    This is painful, go celebrate a win, neither are going to agree and its all hypothetical as it would have made no difference to this result. 
  • Options

He doesn't rotate (check the stats if you don't believe me) in the Power Play but if and when we need a dozen he would just be taking nothing but singles as opposed to winning it with boundaries as Buttler and Hales were trying to do simply because he loves the red ink that will preserve his average. No contradiction whatsoever there. And it is that attitude that cost us our NRR against Afghanistan and our defeat to Ireland. Or would you dispute that? 

Anyway it is boring but I do find it interesting that you chose to pick up that one comment of mine from hundreds that I've posted during the course of the game. It must have been that much more interesting than all the others!

And I'm told that he was in the nets and fit enough to run around doing 12th man duties. So he should be fine for the final if selected.
    We beat Aghanistan so it doesn't matter. Although nobody other than Livingstone got going. Buttler, Hales and Stokes all failed against Ireland and we were 29-3. Easy to blame Malan but at least he kept us in it. Yes I agree he could have accelerated a little quicker but he could easily have got out early, making us 35-4 and we'd probably still have lost. Why not focus on the three batsman who failed than the one who top scored? You'll blame him and have a pop regardless of what he does. Johnny's right though, great win today and hopefully the weather holds up for a decent final Sunday. 
  • Options
    Well that result put a massive smile on my face when I woke up this morning
  • Options
    it's all been said, a massacre of the Indians .. I have been listening on the radio, Ravi Bopara has developed into a VERY good and insightful pundit as has Alex Harvey who has ameliorated the dizzy lil northern lassie role and now understands and comments very well on the 20/20 game .. 

I expected us to beat India though not as convincingly. Pakistan will be a different kettle of fish because no matter about their usual idiosyncratic performances in the prelims, they will have their formidable game faces on come Sunday. Their batting can be fragile, BUT their bowling attack, when it comes good is one of the very best in the world
  • Options

We beat Aghanistan so it doesn't matter. Although nobody other than Livingstone got going. Buttler, Hales and Stokes all failed against Ireland and we were 29-3. Easy to blame Malan but at least he kept us in it. Yes I agree he could have accelerated a little quicker but he could easily have got out early, making us 35-4 and we'd probably still have lost. Why not focus on the three batsman who failed than the one who top scored? You'll blame him and have a pop regardless of what he does. Johnny's right though, great win today and hopefully the weather holds up for a decent final Sunday. 
    Kohli got 50 off 40 today and everyone said how well he batted. If Malan had done the same thing everyone would've been going nuts. He has the best T20i stats of any England batsman ever with a sample size of 55 games. Ridiculous that people still call him out
  • Options

For todays Heroes 

Have you got a link to that dot ball stat ? 

Did you manage to find that dot ball stat ? I have had a bet with my mate on the back of your info and i want to pick up my money.......... all i could find was a stat about most dot balls faced in the powerplay in the world cup and he doesn't feature in there at all. 
  • Options
    Found this bbc report a bit irritating. The bloke keeps going on about how brilliant it would’ve been to have a “mouthwatering” Pakistan v India final.

Piss off mate. Let us celebrate the excellent English performance and rubbing the smug Indians noses in it. 
    I’m sure you can get your kicks watching India and Pakistan some other time, but this is about the England team. Take your faux regret elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63565435