Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most overlooked song in pop history

Comments

• Options
    I still love you - Bee Gees
    bodyguard - bee gees
  • Options
    Hide & Seek  - Howard Jones
    I Scare Myself  - Thomas Dolby
    Ooh, Thomas Dolby. I'd go for Europa and the Pirate Twins.
  • Options
    Goodnight Saigon by Billy Joel.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Three by the Pogues - Pair of Brown Eye, Sally Maclannane, and Summer in Siam

Listen - Christy Moore

Fortress Europe - Asian Dub Foundation

Sally Cinnamon and I am the Resurrection - Stone Roses
    Primus inter pares on an album full of amazing songs.
  • Options
    Movie Star - Harpo
    Frida from Abba on backing vocals 
  • Options
    Cattle and Cane - the Go Betweens
    You've Got the Power- Win
    Revolutionary spirit -The Wild Swans
  • Options
    Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree.

Moonlight feels right by starbuck.
    I literally despise that song.
    Thank heavens I’m off to rehearsal and will therefore have any song from Chicago as an ear worm for the rest of the day & not this hideous pathetic piece of shit song.
  • Options
    The song Ms AA recorded with The Glitter Band.  For some reason which she can't remember, they didn't use Gary for the vocals and decided on a female vocalist.  Ms AA was working with Mike Stock at the time and got the job.

She'd say the song is rightfully overlooked.
    My English teacher at school was married to Mike Stock.
    It was right at the height of SAW & she used to come into lessons looking decidedly worse for wear after some of their parties 🤣🤣
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaistow Patricia * Ian  Drury and the Blockheads
  • Options
    Saturn 5 - Inspiral Carpets 
  • Options
    Is this just a thread for naming songs people like?

Some of those mentioned made the Top 40, even the Top 10, when released !
  • Options
    The song Ms AA recorded with The Glitter Band.  For some reason which she can't remember, they didn't use Gary for the vocals and decided on a female vocalist.  Ms AA was working with Mike Stock at the time and got the job.

She'd say the song is rightfully overlooked.
    My English teacher at school was married to Mike Stock.
    It was right at the height of SAW & she used to come into lessons looking decidedly worse for wear after some of their parties 🤣🤣
    I'll ask Ms AA what she remembers of Bobbie Stock.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    The Killing Moon - Echo And The Bunnymen
    Great shout. I didn't know that was their song - I only know the Pavement version which I love. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Great shout. I didn't know that was their song - I only know the Pavement version which I love. 
    There you go, case in point.

When it first came out it made it to number 9 in the charts. Its widely recognised as the bands best song and has even been called the greatest song ever - although that was by the bloke that wrote it ! It's also been used in various film soundtracks over the years.

I mean, it's a great song and I really like it, but "overlooked"???
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/fjV_8dOiEU0

This one. Not sure it's pure pop tbh but it was quite a departure for Slade, didn't make the top 10 at the time and is now quite rarely played on the radio. Except for Ken Bruce who shares a love for it with me. 
    What a great track.
  • Options
    The Future’s so Bright, I gotta wear shades - TimBuk 3
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Bit like Valerie by The Zutons
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blinded by the Sun - The Seahorses
  • Options
    Here's another one 
    Never checked with the pope but it was definitely overlooked by me from the 'Morph the Cat' album
    By Donald Fagen:
    Marry Shut the garden door

(Please god, no higher than 41...)

https://youtu.be/sHz2IRSdTeE
  • Options
    Maid in Heaven by Be Bop Deluxe, 2 minutes 26 seconds of perfectly crafted pop song.

OK, it got to No. 36 (which I suppose in 1976 reflected a decent number of records sold) but should have got a lot higher. 
  • Options
    Frank Tovey - All That Is Mine
    https://youtu.be/BjIQP5fk4yw

Frank Tovey - You Wont Get That From Me
    https://youtu.be/WB5F8ED72Dw
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    https://youtu.be/fjV_8dOiEU0

This one. Not sure it's pure pop tbh but it was quite a departure for Slade, didn't make the top 10 at the time and is now quite rarely played on the radio. Except for Ken Bruce who shares a love for it with me. 
    What a great track.
    One of my personal fav's for sure. 

In choosing it I applied my own criteria - ignoring obscure album tracks, that never had a single release, name a Slade song that, if you asked 100 people, only a few or none at all would chose.

Someone should work that idea up into a TV quiz format...
  • Options
    Not sure how to interpret overlooked but Headline News by William Bell and Galveston Bay by Lonnie Hill are both fantastic songs that (I don’t think) got chart recognition they deserved.
    Also What’s Missing by Alexander ONeal.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Gribbo said:
    There you go, case in point.

When it first came out it made it to number 9 in the charts. Its widely recognised as the bands best song and has even been called the greatest song ever - although that was by the bloke that wrote it ! It's also been used in various film soundtracks over the years.

I mean, it's a great song and I really like it, but "overlooked"???
    Your case in point doesn't make much sense to me. I just said I had never heard of the original which hardly implies I'm voting for ubiquitous song. Perhaps the parameters for the discussion ought to be set - maybe it's relevant that the song was a hit at the time but today perhaps wouldn't be expected to appear on many lists, thus making it underrated now, as opposed to when it came out? Even if we were to accept that a song briefly hitting the top ten makes it highly rated - I suspect we could name plenty of songs that reached the top 10 at some point that many of us have never heard of. I also looked it up on Wikipedia and it's appeared in three independent movies and a rom-com flop so I can't help but feel you're case in point isn't the best example. 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Todd Rungrens " when I saw the light " ..only got to 36 in 1972 ...gets a lot of play on the hearts,magics and booms..think people just assume it was a hit but never was 
    There is a good version live of this with Rungren & Daryl Hall.  Lower notes than the original of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N48-K9z-HA4 
  • Options
    Unkillable monster - MM 

The lyrics arent exactly peaceful, but It carries a lot of emotion and its an atmospheric record.

I'm very surprised it's not a globally well known song 
  • Options
    edited October 2022