Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karen's Diner

A restaurant based in Manchester where the selling point and main attraction is, the members of staff are purposely rude to customers. 

They verbally insult them and take the piss, while also expecting to be on the receiving end of it.

I personally hope they open one up in London. 

Sounds like a way to let off some steam and to have a laugh.

Has anyone been to this restaurant? 

Reminds me of the heart attack grill idea.

Direct honesty always appears to be selling point and an attraction 

Comments

• There was a restaurant like this in London years ago. Can’t for the life of me remember it’s name though 
  • As you say Bob, Karen's Diner claiming that it's their idea, but I went to Wong Kei's a couple of times in the 80's.
  • As you say Bob, Karen's Diner claiming that it's their idea, but I went to Wong Kei's a couple of times in the 80's.

Yes, likewise - used it quite a lot in the late 80s/early 90s.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun".

• I think Karen's is an Australian chained restaurant. 

Not sure when it began. 

They should attempt the idea in America!

No tips...instead, you just get shot
  • bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:
    There was a restaurant like this in London years ago. Can’t for the life of me remember it’s name though 

Wong Kei in Wardour Street used to be the same with waiting staff routinely shouting at customers, slamming plates down on the table, and pretty much on the hour every hour a chef running out of the kitchen (one on each floor) with a meat clever chasing a waiter and screaming obscenities at him. All premeditated and part of the 'atmosphere'! I haven't been there in years but apparently that all stopped in 2014 when new owners took over.

Food was very good though, and cheap!
    It has been a tradition of a group of friends to visit the Wong Kei for approximately the last 35 years at Christmas time. I miss the old greeting of "what you want?" and then the response to that rather silly question of a "table for 10 please" the barked order of "upstairs, upstairs". A traditional starter of Wonton soup and far too many main courses is always order of the day but it has become not as relatively cheap as it once was.

• Dicks Last Resort in Boston USA does the same thing.
  • bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:
    There was a restaurant like this in London years ago. Can’t for the life of me remember it’s name though 

Wong Kei in Wardour Street used to be the same with waiting staff routinely shouting at customers, slamming plates down on the table, and pretty much on the hour every hour a chef running out of the kitchen (one on each floor) with a meat clever chasing a waiter and screaming obscenities at him. All premeditated and part of the 'atmosphere'! I haven't been there in years but apparently that all stopped in 2014 when new owners took over.

Food was very good though, and cheap!
    It has been a tradition of a group of friends to visit the Wong Kei for approximately the last 35 years at Christmas time. I miss the old greeting of "what you want?" and then the response to that rather silly question of a "table for 10 please" the barked order of "upstairs, upstairs". A traditional starter of Wonton soup and far too many main courses is always order of the day but it has become not as relatively cheap as it once was.

We used to queue on the stairs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if the restaurant should have security who are blending in as fellow diners.

Being rude to the wrong person and at the wrong time (drunk etc) might result in an ambulance and police assistance being required. 
    We all know the modern day short fuse of some people. 

A bouncer is needed at my local McDonald's.
    Especially on Friday nights.

It all kicked off only a few days ago. 

• Used to go wonk kei regularly when I worked nearby back in the day. Proper shit hole but had something about it that made us keep going back.
  • BBQ pork and rice with lashings of chilli flakes, wonderful stuff. Went with work colleagues for lunch a few years back and a Korean lady in our party said a bit too loudly "it's certainly cleaner than the last time I was here" 🔪🔪🔪🔪
  • Used to go wonk kei regularly when I worked nearby back in the day. Proper shit hole but had something about it that made us keep going back.
    'Emhanced' MSG?
  • Used to go Wong Kei back in the 80s as a student cos it was cheap and had a lot of locals as customers which I always think is a sign of quality. I think as the ‘rude’ reputation spread it got a bit touristy.  Last time I went was after the play off final and the food was still decent but not as cheap as it used to be
  • edited October 2022
    One due to open in Charlton, it’s call Oooahhs Diner. His kids are particularly welcome 
    As I read this tread I thought this sounds a bit of me, cnuting cnuts off is my dream job 
  • remember my uncle going to a "Fawlty Towers" theme restaurant, and getting slapped round the back of the head by the Basil
  • Sponsored links:

• There's a chain in America called Dick's last resort. They talk to you like crap and treat you like a child.
  • Has anyone been to the heart attack grill is Las Vegas?

Is there often an ambulance parked outside and do the nurses give you a hard smack on your ass?
  • MrOneLung said:
    There's one in Sicily. It was featured in James May's travel series on Amazon Prime.
  • edited October 2022
    Dave2l said:
    Has anyone been to the heart attack grill is Las Vegas?

Is there often an ambulance parked outside and do the nurses give you a hard smack on your ass?
    I've been outside, it's in the downtown area rather than on the strip.

There certainly wasn't an ambulance outside, the nurses are the waitresses, probably not medically trained thou'. 

The was however a massive set of scales, if you weigh above 25 stones you eat for free!
  • another gimmick imported from America, specifically New York which has a history of rude waiters going back decades .. I ask myself who in their right mind would want to pay a hefty price for a meal and have it flung at you by some bad ham actor/waiter, ridiculous
  • Dave2l said:
    A restaurant based in Manchester where the selling point and main attraction is, the members of staff are purposely rude to customers. 

They verbally insult them and take the piss, while also expecting to be on the receiving end of it.

I personally hope they open one up in London. 

Sounds like a way to let off some steam and to have a laugh.

Has anyone been to this restaurant? 

Reminds me of the heart attack grill idea.

Direct honesty always appears to be selling point and an attraction 

There’s a Chinese restaurant in China Town San Fransisco that have been doing this for decades…….very funny as they often shout insults at you in Chinese…..as well as even funnier pigeon English.
  • IdleHans said:
    another gimmick imported from America, specifically New York which has a history of rude waiters going back decades .. I ask myself who in their right mind would want to pay a hefty price for a meal and have it flung at you by some bad ham actor/waiter, ridiculous

"Have you been to a Harvester before?"
    last one I was in was in Cheltenham months ago .. the staff were very pleasant and the food was ok for the price 
  • PopIcon said:
    Dave2l said:
    Has anyone been to the heart attack grill is Las Vegas?

I've been outside, it's in the downtown area rather than on the strip.

There certainly wasn't an ambulance outside, the nurses are the waitresses, probably not medically trained thou'. 

The was however a massive set of scales, if you weigh above 25 stones you eat for free!

It would be an interesting experience to participate in.

A one time and one time only thing though.

The owner used to be a health advisor....he now makes himself a lot of money by openly honestly making unhealthy very fattening burgers as tall as someone's leg.

It's beyond the American way 
  • Good old Won Kei