Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town | Saturday 29th October 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    After tuesday night & playing the table toppers you'd think we'd be on a hiding to nothing. But this is Charlton & we do like to lose to the worst & then beat the best. 

But to do that we need our best players on the pitch from the start. That means CBT, Sess and Aneke. Not leaving them on the bench until we are 2 goals down. Start them & then withdraw them if necessary.

2-1

• Options
    Got a feeling we’ll get turned over tomorrow.  3-0 defeat 
  • Options
    This has game after an expected defeat vibes. Another 0-2.
  • Options
    Sorry but just off topic paid £38.50 for tomorrow east stand a 1 adult and 1 under 11 is this right seems a bit steep to me
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Thank you for an excellent preview as always. 

Garner must know his best team by now, and resting Sess was a mistake. 
    4-4-2 at home with our tricky wingers should create loads of chances. 

If anyone need “resting” it’s Stockley - despite not touching the ball for 3 games. 

A couple of things Garner has yet to learn (but the fans have known for ages):

1. if Chucks has only 30 minutes in him, then let’s use it at the start and try and go in front, rather than using him to try and salvage a point. 

2. No point in having Rak back for opposition corners / attacking free kicks. Leave him in the centre circle (the oppo have to leave 2 men back), and try for a quick counter-attack if their attack fails. 

3. Stop passing it around in our half. Play attacking football at home, with just 1 or 2 passes to get the ball out to the wings., then midfielders move up in support.  

COYR. 
    Not sure what else they can do. It’s something almost all sides do. But I agree they need to vary it a bit. Free kicks we almost always play short, but I wouldn’t mind them pumping half of them into their opponent penalty box hoping for a knock down. 
    My other bugbear is that we have no one who can do a half decent long throw into the opposition penalty box. That makes our throw ins very easy to defend. Grr. 

• Options
    edited October 2022
    4:3 Charlton Cha Chas
    Clare Dobson and Stockley hat trick. Ahh
    Hang on a minute, that's 1 1 and 3... yep all good👍
  • Options
    Will be very surprised if we get anything out of today. We’ll be there for the taking I fear.
  • Options
    Just seen the Ipswich squad going for a walk by deptford broadway if anyone wants to go kidnap their main man.

0-2 Ipswich
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen the Ipswich squad going for a walk by deptford broadway if anyone wants to go kidnap their main man.

0-2 Ipswich
    Take it teams don’t stay at the marriot in bexleyheath now then? 
  • Options
    Leaving aside today's opponents, there's been a weird lack of home Saturday matches this season, meaning I've not really got into the every other week "Saturday routine".

August was normal, with 2 games
    September had none, Exeter being postponed because of the Queen's death and an imbalance between home and away Saturday fixtures
    October has only had 1 up to now, with Pompey being shifted to Monday by Sky, and even that one was a train strike affected game

So we've had 5 home midweek home matches (including Pompey), and NO away midweek matches. Even without changed games, there's still 3 home midweek games to 0 away ones.
  • Options
    Next Saturday league game after today is 17th December.
  • Options
    1 - 3 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

0-2 Ipswich
    Take it teams don’t stay at the marriot in bexleyheath now then? 
    Bloody Plymouth Herald! 
  • Options
    I fill her up and head down to Sidcup 

Its just a meeting

An mk dons glitch 

And then 3 points at home to Ipswich!
  • Options
    Again, weird scheduling, in which in between the 2 FA cup weekends we play 2 consecutive away games
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Doubt CBT will start, but bringing on him and Aneke with half an hour to go (at least) could make a difference. 
    We lost to the MK, maybe we’ll win this to make up for it. 
    No way will MK be relegated btw. 
  • Options
    Not sure about starting Aneke. If Garner did that and subbed him at half time without having gained the lead, he’d be slaughtered for leaving himself nothing on the bench to change the game.

There’s rarely more than a single goal in closely contested games by the 60-70 minute mark. I’d far rather have the boost of bringing him on knowing he can grab an equaliser or better, a winner.
    People like to talk about what Curbs did / says...

Always remember him saying something along the lines about John Robinson (might have been ahead of the '98 Play-Off Final), that its better for the squad to have players that can come on to change a game, rather than have them start and not have a way to change it.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    On one side we seem to play well against teams who try and be more open and expansive, and I can’t see Ipswich sitting back and defending.

On the other side Ipswich are very good at being more open and expansive, and that lose against MK Dons, and the lose of Inniss, might have caused a big dent to our confidence.

Even after our little winning streak I had no confidence going into MK Dons, and I don’t again for this game.

I would be happy with a draw, and then a big reset to try and pick up some wins against ‘lesser’ opposition in our next set of games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would be happy with a draw, and then a big reset to try and pick up some wins against ‘lesser’ opposition in our next set of games. 
    I agree, but results this season seem to suggest that our upcoming games against lesser opposition could well yield less points than what we'd like / expect
  • Options
    I agree, but results this season seem to suggest that our upcoming games against lesser opposition could well yield less points than what we'd like / expect
    This is sadly very true. 
  • Options
    Last season showed that while money by itself along can't buy promotion, much of the failure on the pitch was surprisingly down to Cook, rather than the transfer dealings, as if McKenna had been in charge all season, they might well have gone up. The turnaround was instant, and unlike typical "managerial bounce" situations, the good form has continued.

A tough afternoon ahead, though it still surprises me that Ipswich didn't break the bank to bring in a top centre forward, as that was their slight weakness last season
  • Options
    I'm hoping that Ipswich play a bit more free flowing football than MKD did and that gives us the space to play our passing game with more success than on Tuesday. I think scoring is likely to be our problem. I reckon we can get one, but ultimately the game will probably be determined by how many Ipswich get. Let's hope we can shut them out.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I'm hoping that Ipswich play a bit more free flowing football than MKD did and that gives us the space to play our passing game with more success than on Tuesday. I think scoring is likely to be our problem. I reckon we can get one, but ultimately the game will probably be determined by how many Ipswich get. Let's hope we can shut them out.
    Plymouth, Exeter and, to a lesser extent, Pompey would have been grateful if we only got one.

My first game since mid-September, my Dad will be here for the first time since first Covid lockdown ... and it's our first game since my mum passed away.

It all points to Charlton 2 Suffolk Muppets 0.

• Options
    Blame Sandgaard 

Blame Brexit
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    3-5-2? - Dont see how Kirk AND Rak-Sakyi work in this line-up

Unless its a 4-3-3 with Clare in the Midfield

• Options
    All ready to go today, but the defeat by MKD… has curbed my enthusiasm. Will go to pub.   1-1 
  • Options

Charlton: Wollacott; Clare, Thomas, O'Connell, Sessegnon; Egbo, Dobson, Fraser, Kirk; Rak-Sakyi, Stockley (c)

Subs (not used): MacGillivray, Lavelle, McGrandles, Morgan, Payne, Blackett-Taylor, Aneke

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!