Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Phantom Whistle (Twice)

How bizarre was that? Not since the protest days (2016) have whistles from the crowd heard.

Twice in a few minutes in the first half with Ipswich on the attack and the 2nd time with their fella half stopping and O’Connell lying on the pitch in agony.

From where i was it was definitely coming from the east to North East part of the ground.

The stop it announcement clearly did the trick 

Comments

• Did the phantom whistle by a couple of degrees of separation contribute to Eoghan’s injury?
  • seth plum said:
    Did the phantom whistle by a couple of degrees of separation contribute to Eoghan’s injury?
    Who knows but that thought had crossed my mind 
  • Even in this situation the ref was shit.
    He didn't allow the trainer on, even though O'Connell was seriously injured, until he'd gone over and moaned about the whistle blower.
    This is totally correct. 
    He exacerbated the injury.
    He didn't allow the trainer on, even though O'Connell was seriously injured, until he'd gone over and moaned about the whistle blower.
    He was trying to tell the 4th official to get it sorted after the first time it happened and nothing was done. When it happened again he went straight over, sadly forgetting about O’Connell. 
  • Their 14 definitely slowed down as a result of the whistle allowing O’Connell to make the last ditch tackle.

Depending on the severity of the injury ultimately depends on whether that was worthwhile or not.

After the first whistle their captain very clearly told their players to watch out for it. I’m surprised that their number 14 didn’t just carry on and score given it happened a few minutes before and he was told.
  • The whistle was blown again in the second half quite near the end but after we had got back to 2-2.  Absolute moron whomever it was.  
  • Leuth said:
    Sounded like it came from the Family Stand. You know what they're like
    It wasn't in the family stand but on that side of the upper north I think.  There was a group of fellas on a stag do with lanyards round their necks and I wondered if it was them.
  • Leuth said:
    It wasn't in the family stand but on that side of the upper north I think.  There was a group of fellas on a stag do with lanyards round their necks and I wondered if it was them.
    There were lots of weird non-Charlton fan groups of people at the game yesterday.

I know there were plenty at the game just because they were here for the NFL game as well but that wouldn't account for all of them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    When did you move your season ticket then? Start of this season 
  • shirty5 said:
    Leuth said:
    When did you move your season ticket then? Start of this season 
    Yes. Couple of my cricket club pals invited me to the North end of the AC stand. How could I refuse? Shame I had to abandon my perch behind the goal, I did enjoy that, but... 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Leuth said:
    There were lots of weird non-Charlton fan groups of people at the game yesterday.

I know there were plenty at the game just because they were here for the NFL game as well but that wouldn't account for all of them. 
    Comic con at the excel is on, might have attracted some from there.
  • Have an idea where it was coming from but not going to say. 
  • I don't recall ever hearing a whistle from the crowd anywhere else, the two times being yesterday and the Boro game.
  • I was at a game once at the ‘old’ Valley when there was a whistler.
    Roger Kirkpatrick was the referee.
    At half time he got on the ancient Tannoy and asked the whistler to stop.
    I think he said something like ‘this is my game not yours, but if you are keen on refereeing see me afterwards and I’ll help you get started’.
    Anybody else remember this?
  • Have an idea where it was coming from but not going to say. 

I blames the parents:
    Whistler's Mother sat there looking straight ahead in her dowdy clothes and did sweet FA. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2022
    You must have one hell of a set lungs! My Congratulations.
  • Swisdom said:
    I hope they identify the idiot and ban them.  Someone must know who it was.  If someone next to me was doing it they’d get the whistle lodged up their backside 
    And if they still blew it?
    Get him/her on Britain’s Got Talent
  • I would have thought that anyone sitting nearby would have said something strong to the idiot. I assume it was a kid sitting next to muvver is why nothing was said?
  • Swisdom said:
    I hope they identify the idiot and ban them.  Someone must know who it was.  If someone next to me was doing it they’d get the whistle lodged up their backside 
    And if they still blew it?
    The heir to Mr Methane.
  • A referees whistle is a very particular shrill and miles different to the ten for a pound type ones usually associated with a whistle being blown. I know this as I fully hold my hands up as someone who, during the height of in game protests had brought a referees whistle in for this exact purpose and it worked. That got retired when shitarse left and remains retired. It was not me on Saturday, I wasn't within 30 miles of the ground and until such time as we start lobbing pigs and balloons onto the pitch again my referees whistle will remain in its pouch 
  • Acme Thunderer.
    Part of my must remember stuff when I was a referee.
    Plus the laws of football book which I used to wear like a shin pad, and would take out if a player wanted to contest my decision so we could discuss things in an informed fashion.
    Somewhat harsh and inaccurate. O'Connell gave no indication from his body language that he was mildly injured, let only seriously. Immediately after the injury he sat up and I expected him to get up immediately.