Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    If he’s reading this I’d love to know @QatarNapsy
    thoughts on all this as he’s undoubtedly the best placed to provide insight out of all of us 
  • Options
    thoughts on all this as he’s undoubtedly the best placed to provide insight out of all of us 
    He has, he's liked a couple of my posts.
  • Options
    Around 1979 I worked there on exploration deep gas drilling rigs, working on petroleum engineering & geology.

The whole country was very poor back then. 
    Never stayed in Doha, went directly to the Shell base camp at Dukhan located  western end of the peninsula.

At no time did I ever feel in danger. AlthoughEvery expat knew they had to behave themselves.
    I still remember my company’s advice, “ if ever in a car accident where a local is injured, don’t stop just drive to airport & take first plane leaving the country!
    Those were the days.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’ll be going to Qatar.

As a solo traveller I’ve had to put quite a bit of planning into parts of the trip. That includes speaking to / reading observations from people who have been or live there.

The general consensus from those people is that a lot of the media reports regarding what you can / cannot do are quite exaggerated. 

I’m expecting to have a good time, among the fanbases of 32 national teams. It won’t surprise me if at the very minimum there are a few things that don’t go to plan logistically at first, but I’m also not expecting it to be situation where every little detail is a complete disaster. The media will no doubt ensure that it looks that way, regardless.

There’s a hope that the opportunity for such a diverse mix of fans meeting in one place can help to promote inclusivity. Football is one of the few international vehicles that could make it happen on such a scale. Hopefully.

Happy to report back my experiences during the tournament. 
    Me too, if they ever approve my Hayya card application!
  • Options
    If Ian hislop thinks Qatar is a sunny 40°C weird country that shouldn't host a world Cup, then so does a dave from charltonlife.

I like normal-ish countries. A country that doesn't generate a load of moaning, death, and getting arrested for displaying public affection.

Do they arrest dogs for humping each other in the street? 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    He's probably a bit busy right now, being an absolute player somewhere!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    I predict it to now be likely that gay people will probably purposely display public acts of affection during this world Cup.

While Brazil are celebrating lifting the world Cup, the camera will probably point out that steward happens to be sucking someone off in the stadium.  

They might just do it on purpose to wind up the locals!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Yeah but has he considered he'd be fine if he just respected their culture and ignored who he was? 

Checkmate. 
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:
    Sometimes I feel we in the West feel like we've got a monopoly on the truth. I feel like the old mother's saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" is appropriate here. Not condoning Qatar's policies, but maybe we should look at all the bad stuff we do.
    Fine point..And perhaps after all the unrelenting imposing of Western "values" on an Islamic country that shares no such "values" whatsoever,, AND NEVER WILL ~ we can finally let the football do the talking. I suspect, as always,  there are some who aren't there for the football at all. 
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:
    Sometimes I feel we in the West feel like we've got a monopoly on the truth. I feel like the old mother's saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" is appropriate here. Not condoning Qatar's policies, but maybe we should look at all the bad stuff we do.
    Point well made
  • Options
    Lots of Qatari experts on here. How many of you have actually been and experienced the country, its laws and its people yourselves?
    Don’t need to visit to know about it’s laws and human rights abuses.
    Probably need to visit a country to full understand it though, reality is often quite different from how the media likes to present things. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    As much as I’m not homophobic I think it’s an easy thing to create about, how many gay fans will actually be attending? Very little I would imagine even groups such as gay gooners have tiny numbers. 

The 7000 odd that have died building the stadiums should be getting called out, majority of the Middle East uses Indian and Pakistani labour and they have v little health and safety or quality control so deaths are part of daily life for these poor people. 

Although not death 20 odd years ago who has used polish and Eastern European workers at a fraction of the cost of English workers. It’s a less extreme example 

we as a country have used cheap labour in the past irish navvys who built the railways for example. 
  • Options
    Lots of Qatari experts on here. How many of you have actually been and experienced the country, its laws and its people yourselves?
    Probably need to visit a country to full understand it though, reality is often quite different from how the media likes to present things. 
    the England fans that would come home in coffins from Poland/Ukraine 2012 

the black fans that would be persecuted in Russia 2018

the above never really happened, a load of Russians took a pasting ( although our media would have it otherwise ) in Marseilles at france 2016 
  • Options
    palarsehater said:

the above never really happened, a load of Russians took a pasting ( although our media would have it otherwise ) in Marseilles at france 2016 
    Straying off topic but I'm going to haul you up on that last one. If some Russians lost some fights that's entirely Putin's fault, because he sent in a squad of highly trained thugs to deliberately stir it up. They then flew out sharpish leaving the mayhem to play out. It's well documented, and what's more the chair of CAST came face to face with them, and she's got Scottish street-smart antenna in her DNA. My neighbour also saw t and was thoroughly spooked by them. I don't call him Mad Vincent for nothing, he's absolutely massive and a child of Sparta Prague's terraces and student of ultra culture. Putin used France 2016 as well as the Russia tournament itself (and Sochi Winter Olympics) for geo-political purposes, and his invasion of Ukraine happened in part because he thought all three things had been successful for him, that he could manipulate the weak West and do as he pleases to Make Russia Great again. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    palarsehater said:

Straying off topic but I'm going to haul you up on that last one. If some Russians lost some fights that's entirely Putin's fault, because he sent in a squad of highly trained thugs to deliberately stir it up. They then flew out sharpish leaving the mayhem to play out. It's well documented, and what's more the chair of CAST came face to face with them, and she's got Scottish street-smart antenna in her DNA. My neighbour also saw t and was thoroughly spooked by them. I don't call him Mad Vincent for nothing, he's absolutely massive and a child of Sparta Prague's terraces and student of ultra culture. Putin used France 2016 as well as the Russia tournament itself (and Sochi Winter Olympics) for geo-political purposes, and his invasion of Ukraine happened in part because he thought all three things had been successful for him, that he could manipulate the weak West and do as he pleases to Make Russia Great again. 
    haul me however you like but i was there 1st hand and witnessed30-40 cska moscow hoolis run in attack kids and shirters in a sqaure in the back streets of marseille, only to be pelted with bottles, chairs and the ones that were left run away and hid behind the police. 

as you say straying off topic apologies 
  • Options
    palarsehater said:

haul me however you like but i was there 1st hand and witnessed30-40 cska moscow hoolis run in attack kids and shirters in a sqaure in the back streets of marseille, only to be pelted with bottles, chairs and the ones that were left run away and hid behind the police. 

as you say straying off topic apologies 
    And I don't doubt that happened as you described. Russia has regular club fans who kick off, I've seen them over here for European league games and they are pretty much par for the course. Yugoslav club fans are a bit worse. The mob I'm referring to had no colours, moved quietly,  dressed all in black, doubtless for maximum visual effect, then got out. Nowehere to be seen in actual Russia 2018, AFAIK. Very sinister and all about global political ambitions. That's the trouble with giant global sports events, they can be misused in this way. Qatar is being misused for political reasons too (although I'm not, of course expecting attacks on innocent fans by the Doha F-Block. ;)
  • Options
    What would Putin gain from sending a few roid heads to scuffle with some England fans and get them out?

fully accept russia had a massive presence there, I think putin sending them in is some proper tin foil hat stuff. 
    Putin's overall strategy is to create uncertainty and confusion in the West. Sow distrust in the US electoral system per se, rather than anything as crass as Vlad saying "I support Trump". Similarly Brexit works for him because of the confusion and chaos it created both in the UK and across Europe. Remember the timing of France 2016 and the proximity to the referendum vote. 

The Wikipedia page on the overall violence is a useful general reminder of what was done, and said, at the time. You may spot there, Putin's denial and criticism of the organised and gang. To which I'd add that the old joke "Never believe anything until the Kremlin denies it" is steeped in truth.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Dressed all in black surely not the famed Holmesdale Ultras?
    It was Millwall in disguise
  • Options
    What would Putin gain from sending a few roid heads to scuffle with some England fans and get them out?

fully accept russia had a massive presence there, I think putin sending them in is some proper tin foil hat stuff. 
    Putin's overall strategy is to create uncertainty and confusion in the West. Sow distrust in the US electoral system per se, rather than anything as crass as Vlad saying "I support Trump". Similarly Brexit works for him because of the confusion and chaos it created both in the UK and across Europe. Remember the timing of France 2016 and the proximity to the referendum vote. 

The Wikipedia page on the overall violence is a useful general reminder of what was done, and said, at the time. You may spot there, Putin's denial and criticism of the organised and gang. To which I'd add that the old joke "Never believe anything until the Kremlin denies it" is steeped in truth.
    All of those things you mention are serious political events with a serious upside for Putin, a tear up at football really isn’t going to create any uncertainty or distrust.