Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th November 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 12th November 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Will Finnie

Introduction
Amongst all the excitement in November its hard to believe that we still have a league campaign to think about - Three exciting Cup performances in the last week, have seen the Addicks bucking the trend by advancing in all three, leaving fans in utter bewilderment - For the first time since October, Charlton return to League One action, and for the first time since a drab, boring encounter with Ipswich Town - Ben Garner and his team making the distracting trip to Burton-Upon-Trent this coming Saturday... We really dont need pointless distractions like this!!

The Opposition
Name: Burton Albion (24th) | Manager: Dino Maamria
Ground: Pirelli Stadium
Previous League Result: Sheff Wed 4-2 Burton Albion

Well its been a disappointing season for Burton fans, but they cant say its all been doom and gloom... Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink started the season as Manager in Staffordshire, seemingly tried to tout himself for a job in South East London (the role of flipping burgers was already taken), and then somehow remained in charge of the club that I'm sure cant have been happy at their main man sending his CV to all and sundry, whether it be clubs or broadcasting channels - Jimmy only lasted seven games, the Brewers in that time grabbed a solitary point, throwing away a two goal lead at Accrington, when they were 2-4 up... Winning at the Crown Ground isn't for everyone.

One of the beauties of writing a Preview, is sometimes not having a clue what's going on at other clubs; Jimmy's replacement (Dino Maamria) is the perfect example of this... Hired after two years without a Managerial job (He lasted a year at Oldham), Maamria's job has been simple... Get out of the relegation zone... Given the tightness of League One this season, its not an impossibility, they're still only five points from safety (despite being plum last) - However the Brewers have picked up three League wins since the change of Manager, and regularly find the net, scoring twelve goals since the change.

The fact that Burton are where they are (Given our own performances against anyone lower than 12th in the league, and the fact they score as many as they concede... Well we shouldn't be overly surprised if the season continues to form, with the points once again shared, something that doesnt really suit either side.

Charlton Team News
Its likely to be one in, one out this coming Saturday in terms of changes... Ryan Inniss returned from suspension in time for a classic encounter with Stevenage on Tuesday night, and will surely partner Sam Lavelle in the heart of a defence that is being patched with a solitary plaster - Sean Clare will now miss out though this coming Saturday, the Right-Back | Left-Back | Tea-Lady picked up his fifth booking of the season against Ipswich, with a limited number of options at Full-Back, you'd expect Richard Chin to slot in, at his more natural flank.

Elsewhere, and Jojo Wollacott will be involved in his last game before heading out to the World Cup - Whilst if rumour is true, then we should see Jake Forster-Caskey getting his first involvement in League action this season, albeit from the bench.

Wollacott
Chin - Inniss - Lavelle - Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi - Dobson - Fraser - Blackett-Taylor
Kirk - Stockley

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Elerewe - Dench - Forster-Caskey - Morgan - Payne - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Gosh our defence is threadbare...we can't even go with three centre backs and two wings backs (CBT/Kirk, snigger).  I just hope we score more than we concede and get through without any more suspensions and injuries...
  • Options
     Well what with all this cup football turning peoples heads and the goalkeeper with his mind on the World Cup a point would be a very good point.

Once again a good time to put Charlton in the shop window leading up to Christmas Thomas
  • Options
    Regardless of injuries, they are bottom.  We need/should win if this team has anything about them.  Time for Stockley to score.  I’m appreciative of his role and that he doesn’t suit Garner’s style, but we can’t keep relying on Aneke to come on.  

Important game for the team
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Regardless of injuries, they are bottom.  We need/should win if this team has anything about them.  Time for Stockley to score.  I’m appreciative of his role and that he doesn’t suit Garner’s style, but we can’t keep relying on Aneke to come on.  

Well considering our unsettled back line, and that we are away from home, I cannot see us not conceding - so we are going to have to score more than 1 to win this.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cabbles said:

Well considering our unsettled back line, and that we are away from home, I cannot see us not conceding - so we are going to have to score more than 1 to win this.
    Thats fine we only have two League wins all season where we've won scoring just the one goal
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Thats fine we only have two League wins all season where we've won scoring just the one goal
    I obviously spend to much time on here, as I did forget that scoring goals has not really been our issue this year ha ha.
  • Options
    Expect us to play down to their level. 

Scrape a win or a hard-fought draw I reckon. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I obviously spend to much time on here, as I did forget that scoring goals has not really been our issue this year ha ha.
    28 league goals and in Three home matches we have scored 12 goals.

That leaves 14 games we have scored 16 goals. Think we have a problem myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Pretty obvious seeing we only have five wins - BUT In those five games we've scored 14-goals

So when we do win, it clicks and comes together
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Innis and Lavelle on paper look like the most incompatible CB pairing I've seen us go in with for some time. 

I'd prefer a youth CB to play with either so at no point we see two kids start at CB in a league. 

More than happy to see Chin start at RB.
  • Options
    Wearing white apparently. The white kit we'd never worn (though we had) and were never going to see. 
  • Options
    Another MK Dons game. 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    I would rather make the playoffs than have a cup run.
    The league is and always should be our priority especially as we are in the third tier. 
    Burton are bottom for a reason they are crap.
    Nothing less than 3 points is acceptable. 
    Burton 1 Charlton 3
    I would rather do both, 3-0 Addicks!
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Pretty obvious seeing we only have five wins - BUT In those five games we've scored 14-goals

Scoring goals wins games. Who knew!?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Scoring goals wins games. Who knew!?
    Did that work against Cambridge or Forest Green? ;)
  • Options
    Poor game. 1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd like to see Payne up front with Stockley, he's the only one scoring (semi) regularly a t m .. another tricky away game (aren't they all ?) for a patched up Addicks team 

Burton Albion 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    With that defence I am not very confident. Inniss and Lavelle trying to play it out from the back is not a fun watch and Chin really struggled on Tuesday. Add to that Burtons recent home record since getting rid of JFH isn’t bad at all. Frustrating as it should be winnable but I think we will do well to come away with a point 
  • Options
    Get Payne up front. 
  • Options
    I said we would be the top draw in league 1 and only Fleetwood have drawn more games. Desmond 2-2 as we go joint top

of the games drawn.
  • Options
    Away win 1-2  :)
  • Options
    Scrappy 1-0 win, Stockley
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Wearing white apparently. The white kit we'd never worn (though we had) and were never going to see. 
    First time in a league match. I believe we wore them once in pre season. I quite like the kit, no idea what Castore has done on terms of stocking and availability. 
  • Options
    Probably a whoosh scenario but who is Dench on the bench ? 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Talal said:
    First time in a league match. I believe we wore them once in pre season. I quite like the kit, no idea what Castore has done on terms of stocking and availability. 
    I have one of the white Castore shirts .. a VERY nice piece of kit
  • Options
    Surely we will.win this one? Rock bottom Burton? I am not so sure with all our injury problems? 1-1, frustrating draw.