Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent pub crawls

Our group are looking for a decent pub crawl for our annual pre Xmas get-together. Based in Maidstone which we’ve done to death and have done Canterbury and Tonbridge in recent years which were both very good.

Now looking for somewhere different and the initial shortlist is Faversham, Gravesend and Folkestone. 

Would be a Sat lunchtime in Dec, to about 11pm. Ideally a good 8-12 pubs in a reasonable proximity to each other, with train links.

Any opinions on the above, or additional recommendations (exc medway towns) would be welcome.

Cheers.

Comments

• Rochester is very good for this 
  • Did one in Gravesend a few years back it was very good. Only pub name I can remember is the Compasses which was best pub of the day. Was a great sesh though. 
  • edited November 2022
    Agreed, thank you. But done plenty of times, so looking for somewhere a bit different or that we’ve not done in a fair few years.

Edit - this was in response to Rochester.
  • Faversham is good, too - an attractive town and home of Shepherd Neame brewery. Pubs around the market place including the Bear, and the Anchor at the end of Abbey Street. Don't forget the Elephant, just south of the station. Cheers! 
  • Whitstable?
  • Off_it said:
    Whitstable?
    Possible, yes. Trains, a bit like Faversham, are crap from Maidstone. Two hours to get home at 11pm…
  • We’ve a fair few pubs in a 2 mile radius in Folkestone! Plus the harbour has the Christmas market on atm which has restaurants and bars. 

What kind of pubs are you looking for? Round here I’d recommend: 

1. The Pullman - low ceiling gastro with big beer garden 
    2. The British Lion - tiny, good old fashioned pub 
    3. The Beershop - small, independent run boozer with great range of beers 
    4. Kipp’s Alehouse - again, good range of beers and a friendly atmosphere 
    5. Home Taproom - taproom of a local brewery (Angles and Demons). Cosy with music weekend nights 
    6. The Old Buoy - Belgian beers, ran by a friendly Flemish bloke 
    8. The Bouverie Tap - another small taproom with great beer and WW1/WW2 decor 
    9. Radnor Arms - another gastro but has a nice courtyard and cocktails on tap for some bizarre reason 
    10. Lucky Chip - bar and burger joint with a good speakeasy vibe 

There are many more, but those are my favourites. 
  • Off_it said:
    Whitstable?
    Possible, yes. Trains, a bit like Faversham, are crap from Maidstone. Two hours to get home at 11pm…
    Coupla cans for the journey ....
  • Bromley?
  • Sponsored links:

• Faversham go the the anchor by quayside and then work your way back to the station. Only issues is by midnight it’s done so there’s no chance of further drinking
  • We had a crawl round a few micro pubs in Broadstairs recently, is that an awkward trip for you?
  • Loads of places are awkward from Maidstone. West Malling, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells are accessible as well as Ashford but the more fun places like Faversham, Canterbury, Whitstable, Folkestone are a pain in the dick to get to and from Maidstone 

• Gravesend isn’t bad at all, got a mate that lives there the mole hole and invicta bar are 2 decent pubs. 
  • To my great surprise, Ramsgate/Margate/Broadstairs were all pretty good when I went last summer. 
  • Guess a bit depends on what kinda crowd it is?
  • mendonca said:
    Guess a bit depends on what kinda crowd it is?

Small firm, plotting up, mooching about, seeing who's around .....
  • Still some decent pubs in Gravesend, all relatively close to each other. 
  • In its history Gravesend I believe had more pubs than in any town in England. An whilst many have gone, it still has more than enough to do a decent crawl, and all fairly central with only few hundred metres from pub to pub. An some decent Indian Restaurants if you have a break for a curry. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    Did one in Gravesend a few years back it was very good. Only pub name I can remember is the Compasses which was best pub of the day. Was a great sesh though. 
    Also done one in Gravesend.

…It was a little bit dead.
  • Our group are looking for a decent pub crawl for our annual pre Xmas get-together. Based in Maidstone which we’ve done to death and have done Canterbury and Tonbridge in recent years which were both very good.

Now looking for somewhere different and the initial shortlist is Faversham, Gravesend and Folkestone. 

Would be a Sat lunchtime in Dec, to about 11pm. Ideally a good 8-12 pubs in a reasonable proximity to each other, with train links.

Any opinions on the above, or additional recommendations (exc medway towns) would be welcome.

Cheers.
    C’mon you’re the organiser - you shouldn’t need any help!  ;)
  • Not Kent but nearly..
    From Battle Station you have the railway, the chequers,the Abbey Hotel, the bull,the brewery tap,the cider shop and the Kings Arms...that's half a mile and repeat in reverse to the station...all decent pubs with food ( excluding tap and cider shop) 
  • Mentioned this before on a different thread, that, if you like Real Ale then Broadstairs is ideal, although maybe too far to travel and no price reasonable places to stay – and you are not having my garage for the night …

Micro Pubs:

Starting in St. Peters at The Yard of Ale, moving on 0.4 km to The Four Candles, moving on 0.4 km to  The Royston (top of High St.), moving on 0.3 km to Mind the Gap, moving on 0.3 km to The 39 Steps, moving on 0.1 km to The Magnet, moving on 5 metres to The Chapel.

Regular Pubs / Small bars – about a dozen in this area and this route brings you a stones throw from the seafront and close to restaurants.

• Grove Park
  • Mentioned this before on a different thread, that, if you like Real Ale then Broadstairs is ideal, although maybe too far to travel and no price reasonable places to stay – and you are not having my garage for the night …

Micro Pubs:

Starting in St. Peters at The Yard of Ale, moving on 0.4 km to The Four Candles, moving on 0.4 km to  The Royston (top of High St.), moving on 0.3 km to Mind the Gap, moving on 0.3 km to The 39 Steps, moving on 0.1 km to The Magnet, moving on 5 metres to The Chapel.

Regular Pubs / Small bars – about a dozen in this area and this route brings you a stones throw from the seafront and close to restaurants.

my aunt lives in broadstairs lindenthorpe avenue/road cant rememeber, we are down there for xmas this year what pubs would you recommend for a xmas eve crawl 

Micro Pubs:

We did all those pubs but in a different order about a month ago, 39 Steps, Magnet, Chapel, Mind the Gap, Royston, Yard of Ale and Four Candles. All very good in their own way.

Two of us from Beckenham, one from Petts Wood and one from Whitstable. 

We've done runs in Whitstable, Faversham and Rochester, easy for us to get to.

• Palarsehater,

We are a couple of free kicks away from Lindenthorpe.

Avoid The Prince Albert in the High St. - old farts pub,

The Dolphin in Albion St. attracts a young crown and sometimes have ticket entry

The Counting House at the bottom end of the High Street is very young at weekends and sometimes employs doormen, which says something altho I quite like it mid week.

If you intend to eat, The Tartar Frigate at the harbour is decent. 

If you want music do a search for Broadstairs Gig Guide  (brownbears.com, i think)

-not a lot there at the moment but it will be updated nearer the time.

• There's a rake of pubs in Ramsgate and a great curry house called flavours by Kumar. Probably best to do an overnighter there or you'll spend most of time travelling there and back by the sounds of it.
  • There a pub called The Dophine in Hastings too. Ended up in there on a beano from The Horse. Tund out Peter knew the landlord so come out of there quite late