Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England vs Wales - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Big loss for Senegal with no Mane….. would have been a different proposition with him 
    Gueye suspended as well. 

It will be tough but I expect us to have enough to beat Senegal 
    The game is on itv though, and we know how that tends to go..... 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Big loss for Senegal with no Mane….. would have been a different proposition with him 
    Gueye suspended as well. 

Excellent... I'm not taking Senegal lightly, but was worried ITV may try to hold out for the Quarter-Final game in the hope of getting to show England vs France
  • Options
    Tournament football begins now
    Pleased for Rashford. First half he looked awful. Switch of position and two goals.

Foden is so much better on the left.

Bellingham is a baller.
    Henderson just tries to keep it simple. He's our only "real" Captain on the pitch so expect him to stay in the side.

Rice has been so solid in all 3 games.

Walker has lost none of his pace.

Protect the centre backs. Senegal will not give in but I expect we have too much for them.

France.  If they win.  Will be very, very tough.
  • Options
    Enjoyed that
  • Options
    Well done Wales on getting to the World Cup but sadly that was an abysmal performance. Bale, Allen and Ramsey are way beyond the players that they once were. Massive rebuild needed by them I feel. Well done England!
  • Options
    Henderson does show you the importance of leadership on the pitch, even if he isn't the best player we have in midfield.

We have so much competition in wide attacking areas. Saka scored 2 against Iran, but couldn't get on the pitch today.
  • Options
    Scored 9 goals and Kane hasn't got one of them. Sharing them out at long last.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seven points in the group stage.

More than we got in:
     2018 (6)
    2014 (1)
    2010 (5)
    2002 (5)
    1998 (6)
    1990 (5)
    1986 (4)
    1970 (6)*

We also got seven points in 2006 and 1966 (*with 3 points for a win) 

• Options
    All simple and a routine victory on Sunday to get us in to 1/4's before we face our first real challenge 

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Gueye suspended as well. 

Excellent... I'm not taking Senegal lightly, but was worried ITV may try to hold out for the Quarter-Final game in the hope of getting to show England vs France
    ITV getting first pick for both the Round of 16 and Quarter Final, so more than likely both games will be on ITV if we defeat Senegal.
  • Options
    Henderson does show you the importance of leadership on the pitch, even if he isn't the best player we have in midfield.

We have so much competition in wide attacking areas. Saka scored 2 against Iran, but couldn't get on the pitch today.
    Henderson is probably the best captain England have had since the 90s.  A massive positive, shame he probably isn't good enough to be in the team.  He is someone I would keep in the squad for the next 3 1/2 years, even if he doesn't play much.
  • Options
    Great result, won done Southgate and co
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phew!
  • Options
    Q. Why were England hesitant and cautious against a hard working USA side and at no time did they go for the jugular in the 2nd group match.

A. Because they knew Wales were a  mediocre side and had gone backwards with Bale, Ramsey and Allen, shadows of players they were, so as long as they applied themselves, 7 points would be achieved in a fairly straight forward manner.
    WDW is excellent in a sequence of group games. We set out not to lose against the USA and we achieved that with no new injuries. Made for a flat evening but no harm done.

The first half  last night England  couldn't finish off their moves but they were very relaxed and comfortable and Foden saw plenty of the ball for the first time in an England shirt. Rashford came up with a Jem of a free kick to have his most enjoyable time in the shirt. The subs made were reminiscent of a friendly match and at 3 nil I thought Nick Pope might get 10 minutes up front !

16 player game now and we are in good shape and KO football brings a new dynamics with sudden death and Pxxxxxxxx to decide matches after about 140 minutes.

Thankfully Southgate didn't listen to the echo chamber on CL and other social media regarding Marcus Rashford at HT. When you score a goal that not only nutmegs the keeper but also the CB on the way into the goal, the football gods are shinning on you.

Starting 11 should be interesting against the Mane less Senegal. 

A World cup in November/December still feels surreal but better than Xmas shopping!
  • Options
    I'm not seeing any real criticism, and frankly there is no need for any. From the point of view of someone not watching the tournament, we are gradually hitting our stride. Senegal are no mugs, and it all gets very serious now, so I hope Southgate has learnt you need to do more than play keep ball. But we are through, and with a hatful of goals. Happy days.
  • Options
    Last night Henderson was like Mike Brearley, his own performance wasn't necessarily as important as what he got others to do. He isn't the player he was but he was like having a manager on the pitch and maybe that is what this relatively young team needs.
  • Options
    does anyone know what time on the 10th England will be playing (assuming they get to the QF)?