Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v France - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    lovely memories of 1982 in Spain at the time of the Falklands war .. we played France in the first round against a cauldron of Spanish hate, boos, whistles, pro Argentina chanting .. we won 3-1 and pissed the Spanish (and the French)  right off .. titanic performance especially from  skipper Bryan Robson who scored a memorable goal .. a repeat today would be just perfect ..

1982 World Cup Finals Bilbao Spain 16th June 1982 England 3 v France 1
    Because I fancy being a cheeky git… The oldest player in either of today’s line-ups (likely Giroud) was born more than four years after this match took place. The oldest England player was born just weeks before the 1990 WC.

Giroud - Sep 1986
    Lloris - Dec 1986
    Griezmann - Mar 1991

Walker - May 1990
    Henderson - Jun 1990
    Trippier - Sep 1990

Steve Mandanda, France’s back-up goalie, is the oldest player in either squad and was born Mar 1985 but is unlikely to play.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    lovely memories of 1982 in Spain at the time of the Falklands war .. we played France in the first round against a cauldron of Spanish hate, boos, whistles, pro Argentina chanting .. we won 3-1 and pissed the Spanish (and the French)  right off .. titanic performance especially from  skipper Bryan Robson who scored a memorable goal .. a repeat today would be just perfect ..

Because I fancy being a cheeky git… The oldest player in either of today’s line-ups (likely Giroud) was born more than four years after this match took place. The oldest England player was born just weeks before the 1990 WC.

Giroud - Sep 1986
    Lloris - Dec 1986
    Griezmann - Mar 1991

Walker - May 1990
    Henderson - Jun 1990
    Trippier - Sep 1990

Steve Mandanda, France’s back-up goalie, is the oldest player in either squad and was born Mar 1985 but is unlikely to play.
    and two of our team, Ray Wilkins and Paul Mariner, have died, Kenny Samson has gone through some very hard times as has Graham Rix
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    ^^^^^^
    anyway, that was all a long while back, today is today and we are gonna beat the frogs and put em back in their puddle
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Lloris is overdue a howler...
    While this is true, I am also worried about Pickford today…

Can’t help but think back to the Euros and the goals Denmark and Italy scored. Not howlers on a Rob Green scale but in a game of inches, he must be ready to put on the performance of his career.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    JohnBoyUK said:

Can’t help but think back to the Euros and the goals Denmark and Italy scored. Not howlers on a Rob Green scale but in a game of inches, he must be ready to put on the performance of his career.
    I really like Pickford. Not the biggest of goalies but plenty of gumption*. Think he will do us proud. 

*uses a word he is not quite sure makes sense in that particular sentence. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I really like Pickford. Not the biggest of goalies but plenty of gumption*. Think he will do us proud. 

*uses a word he is not quite sure makes sense in that particular sentence. 
    With his know-how, savvy and resourcefulness, little Jordan will surely lead the Secret Seven to crack the code! 
  • Options
    (but yes, a goalie does need gumption, see the various thoughtless screw-ups we've seen already) 
  • Options

Loving the ad in the bottom left.  If you click on it it just says, "sell the club".
  • Options
     FishCostaFortune said:
    England unchanged for tonight.

Right move for me, and and least people can’t accuse GS of being conservative now. 
    where are you seeing this? 
    Without wanting to reveal to much have a friend who is a journalist.

Though someone else in our WhatsApp group mentioned it before him so assume it was common knowledge ha ha. 
  • Options
     FishCostaFortune said:
    England unchanged for tonight.

Right move for me, and and least people can’t accuse GS of being conservative now. 
    where are you seeing this? 
    Without wanting to reveal to much have a friend who is a journalist.

Though someone else in our WhatsApp group mentioned it before him so assume it was common knowledge ha ha. 
    It’s all over Twitter now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

4 Puma Kings (my boot of choice when I was older and could buy my own)
    3 Adidas World Cups
    3 pairs of Patrick (that surprised me)
    and can’t quiet see what Bryan Robson wearing , looks like he’s got the shit ones from Woolworth’s that I was wearing at the time ffs 
    Didn't Robson always wear New Balance?
  • Options
    Clairefontaine opened in 1988 and France won The World Cup in 1998.
    St Georges Park opened in 2012.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

3 Adidas World Cups
    and can’t quiet see what Bryan Robson wearing , looks like he’s got the shit ones from Woolworth’s that I was wearing at the time ffs 
    Didn't Robson always wear New Balance?
  • Options
    1-1 after 90 mins. Still 1-1 after 120 mins. Then the lottery of penalties 😬
  • Options
    4 at the back and we win

3 at the back and we lose

I hope early reports are true. 
  • Options

Battiston is the poor sod who was poleaxed by Schumacher later in the tournament
  • Options
    😳
  • Options

3 Adidas World Cups
    Patrick Stabil. My boot of choice.
  • Options
    And France won the World Cup in 2022

• Options
    Feel like we're underdogs which isn't a bad thing pressure wise. If we win tonight no reason why we can't go all the way.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well…. No shortage of drama or surprises in the qtr finals so far. Brilliant entertainment. 

One of the games has to be a damp squib so put your money on a limp, routine 2-0 win for France in the next one.
  • Options
    Ok I admit it I'm shitting myself already. Anyone else ?
  • Options
    edited December 2022

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Happy to see us unchanged if true. A bit of x-factor in the team with Bellingham, Foden, and Saka, experience and solidity in midfield, and work rate all over the pitch.

If both teams are at their best, I think France narrowly win this. We’re bang in it though and if France aren’t quite at it, or maybe we get a break from the fates of with a favourable deflection or penalty we can absolutely win this. I think we have the better team spirit too and might want this a bit more than France. 

Great to feel we have a genuine chance in such a big game vs possibly the best team in the world. 
  • Options
    Happy to see us unchanged if true. A bit of x-factor in the team with Bellingham, Foden, and Saka, experience and solidity in midfield, and work rate all over the pitch.

If both teams are at their best, I think France narrowly win this. We’re bang in it though and if France aren’t quite at it, or maybe we get a break from the fates of it ha favourable deflection or penalty we can absolutely be in this. I think we have the better team spirit too and might want this a bit more than France. 

Great to feel we have a genuine chance in such a big game vs possibly the best team in the world. 
    Agree with all this.

France win and they win the World Cup.

We win - and let’s just say we will never get a bigger chance 
  • Options
    I really wasnt that interested in this WC unusually but it has turned out probably the best or one of the best ever in football terms and I will be gutted if we play no further part after tonight
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Just used my Skybet free £1  on build a bet. If all 5 come in....its £300 return! A bet to nothing for me.
  • Options
    Heard on the radio today we have not beaten a team in a tournament that were ranked above us for 20 years, last time was 2002.

So come on England lets put this one to bed!!