Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England manager odds

In light of some thinking Southgate should go and Southgate himself saying will go away and reflect, here are the current odds

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Steve Cooper would probably be a great option given the success he had with the England U20s - He's someone already used to International Management, and will no doubt know a good number of the current team.

Dont get the fuss over Pochettino or Tuchal, feels like we will be going back to the days of Sven and Capello

Howe no chance now he's with Newcastle
    Potter might be a good option, if we're prepared to wait a little while

Gerrard | Lampard I feel are two getting jobs because of their names, and neither would do better than Southgate.
  • Options
    If he wants to stay he will as I don't think he'll be pushed.
    Personally think the next England manager will be one of Lampard or Gerrard. They'll probably be bought into the coaching staff first.
  • Options
    Ben Garner evens favourite
    Curbs 16/1
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Pochetino managed to get Spurs to finish third in the league in a two horse race for the title with Leicester, and also managed to not win Ligue 1 with PSG 
  • Options
    I'd love Pep to be England manager. Will never happen though.

Can't see Howe leaving Newcastle, so sticking with Southgate is the best option 
  • Options
    Should be an English manager for an England national team. We're a big enough football country for that.  Wouldn't feel right winning a tournament with an Italian, Spanish or German manager and doubt that those countries would even consider a non national for their top jobs.

It's the sort of thing less developed footballing nations in Africa/ Asia do to get the foundations in place. Was great to see Song managing Cameroon for example and I think a national side should be staffed with nationals from manager down other wise it's a bit of a mockery.

Southgate has done enough to get the Euros in my view and save for a missed penalty last night we could have been shaping up for Morocco this week.
    I think they said it was the first tournament where all the African countries had African managers/coaches. 
  • Options
    Should be an English manager for an England national team. We're a big enough football country for that.  Wouldn't feel right winning a tournament with an Italian, Spanish or German manager and doubt that those countries would even consider a non national for their top jobs.

It's the sort of thing less developed footballing nations in Africa/ Asia do to get the foundations in place. Was great to see Song managing Cameroon for example and I think a national side should be staffed with nationals from manager down other wise it's a bit of a mockery.

Southgate has done enough to get the Euros in my view and save for a missed penalty last night we could have been shaping up for Morocco this week.
    I'm in two minds - if there are 11 Englishmen on the pitch then I'm not really that fussed who manages them. I don't think anyone was upset when the Lionesses won the Euros with a Dutch coach and nobody seems bothered when non-English coaches lead rugby and cricket.

As GA says, Pep as England manager? Yes please.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    When he did a punditry work in the WC, I was surprised how poor Pochettino's English still is.
  • Options
    Southgate to stay please
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    In light of some thinking Southgate should go and Southgate himself saying will go away and reflect, here are the current odds

Tuchal...a German 

Yeh, like that's gana happen.

The FA would have betrayed English football and tuchal would have done the same to his home land.

Just allow Southgate to remain in the job, if thinks about it and he does want to stay.

The next England manager has to be English 

Sven never should have been allowed to have the job 20 + years ago. 

You cannot employ a manager who's heart won't well and truly be in the job. Fabio Capello made it very clear that for us to go down that pathway is a huge mistake!

The FA never think things through and get things fully organised properly.

Our FA in house coaching badge corses must be shit. English managers are often pretty crap in comparison to european coaches. This has to change 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Not fussed if he stays or goes , solid results and good team harmony but nothing out of the ordinary when push came to shove,  
    aided by some of the easiest draws we’re ever likely to get and a real talented squad …..
    as a gambler throw the dice and what’s the worse that can happen we’ll go out earlier without winning anything  but we may WIN something as well .
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I'm in two minds - if there are 11 Englishmen on the pitch then I'm not really that fussed who manages them. I don't think anyone was upset when the Lionesses won the Euros with a Dutch coach and nobody seems bothered when non-English coaches lead rugby and cricket.

I don’t think Pep would achieve much more than Southgate. Pep is all about moulding a team day to day with high training input and footballing ethos. I think he’d struggle not having that day to day approach. I don’t see PG as a coach happy with having his players together 30 days a year. Just can’t see it. 
  • Options
    Hope Southgate stays.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I don’t think Pep would achieve much more than Southgate. Pep is all about moulding a team day to day with high training input and footballing ethos. I think he’d struggle not having that day to day approach. I don’t see PG as a coach happy with having his players together 30 days a year. Just can’t see it. 
    I think he's said something about wanting to manage a national team but I agree with you, it would be an incredible challenge for him to get his players drilled into his patterns of play without having regular access to them. I can't stand the man but that's beside the point, he's a tactical winner and we could do with a bit of that. Although for once I don't think our exit was down to Southgate being outwitted. 
  • Options
    Eddie Howe is the obvious choice but he ain't leaving Newcastle anytime soon. 

I'd stick with Southgate personally. 
    my thoughts exactly, that is if Southgate has the desire to carry on after a chapter of near misses .. IF he goes, the next one MUST be another Englishman
  • Options
    Martin Sandgaard 12/1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After our performances in Qatar, I want Southgate to continue. Not perfect but by no means to be taken as a sign it's time for change.
  • Options
    Keep him no one obvious out there to replace him. Also think Euro 24 we will have as good as chance as any to win it 
  • Options
    Football or rugby?
  • Options
    If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it

Gareth is often spotted having his arm around a player after they've either performed really well, or if they need a lift. 
    That's an indicator that they get on well on a personal level.

If Southgate goes...then I don't think the players will be happy at all. They won't warm to the new manager.

People like to be settled and develop long term trust-worthy bonds with others.

• Options
    No country has (yet) won the WC with a foreign manager. 
    Take the 10/1 on Eddie. 
    What a job he has done for the Geordies. 
  • Options
    If there is to be a change, three names stand out on the OP’s list: Cooper, Howe and Wiegman. I think we’re maybe 10-15 years away from having female coaches in top level men’s sport and I think the FA would want an Englishman so that would leave us with a choice of two, of which Howe is obvious first choice. 
  • Options
    Hopefully Eddie howe can generate champions league experience with Newcastle in the near future. It will certainly boost the CV.

I'd like Eddie howe to get the job after he's been successful with Newcastle 
  • Options
    I feel Southgate has learned some lessons and I think we should stick with him for the European Championship in 2 years.  I believe we would have gone on to the final had we beaten France it wasn't to be this time.

Southgate has moved us forward and has also developed along with the squad which can only get better with so many gifted young players.