Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

USER POLL; Garner - Kept or Released?

Week on, now the dust has settled would you kept Garner on as managed, or if given the opportunity would you have released?

USER POLL; Garner - Kept or Released? 472 votes

Kept
84%
LoOkOuTAFKABartram_MrDickSouthendaddick1905KetmansuzisausageLargeAddickElthamaddickcafcpololancashire ladKBslittlesiscfgsThreadKillerChunesWhenIwasLittleBoySolidgonejimmymelroseHeath Herocharlton4ever 400 votes
Released
15%
CAFCBourneRed_Pete_in_DubaiT_C_EcharltonkestonrazilOff_itOggy RedoohaahmortimerTELsoapy_jonesNugAthletico CharltonShrewNadouMrOneLungBigRedEvilJohnnyH2cafcbrownStewartseth plum 72 votes

Comments

• Options
    Released
    not necessarily his fault as he seems to have been let down by lack of investment in the summer/should have been replaced by someone decent, however he seemed to have lost the dressing room so probably for the best.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Kept
    Didn't get anything from Thomas who expected miracles on a firmly closed budget purse..

• Options
    Kept
    Didn’t warm to the fella and thought he was talked up incessantly in a thinly veiled and grating attempt to justify Sandgaard’s “brilliance” but still can’t see any point in sacking him.
  • Options
    Kept
    Wasn't supported in the transfer window. 

Ended up with a worse squad than the 3 managers before him and asked to do a better job. 
  • Options
    Released
    I didn’t think he knew what he was doing, so him going doesn’t bother me, but I felt that way about Adkins and Jackson.  I didn’t rate either of them.  It’s the fact we’ve had to sack another manager that is the real issue.  Just highlights TS’ incompetence 
  • Options
    Released
    He wasn't great, but had no real backing. But the defence has been a disaster this season and Stockley has gone from a decent L1 striker to being hopeless under Garner. 

Ultimately if we had a budget in the summer Garner would never have been on the list in the first place 
  • Options
    Kept
    Kept.
    Spoke up for himself and the team and we have played some great football at times. If we had signed even one striker I think we would have been much closer to the top six or even in there.
  • Options
    Kept
    At times we have played our best football for years, when Egbo etc were fit.
  • Options
    Kept
    Kept. He should've been backed by TS and wasn't....unfair on Garner!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kept
    @razil @Redmidland you’ve not actually voted 
  • Options
    Kept
    He should have been backed properly. Kept.
  • Options
    Kept
    Certainly he's not flawless but I don't think there's a realistic option for anyone to have done much better in the same situation.
  • Options
    Kept
    Given a threadbare squad that is lacking in key areas, many injuries that meant playing kids in defence, a striker that doesn't fit the system he wanted to play and the other striker can't play more than 45 minutes.

He was hired because we're led to believe TS liked the way he played, but he only had one transfer window and you absolutely cannot shape a squad to fit your style of play in less than 6 months. Ridiculous sacking.
  • Options
    Kept. Didnt get backed enough
  • Options
    Released
    Thought Garnerball was alien to our players and could not see them winning enough games from it. However, he persisted with it and failed to find an alternative system which could have more closely matched our squad`s  strengths.

I also found Garnerball so boring to watch and a dangerous method of play (for us).  Our defenders appeared nervous and uncomfortable  trying to play it with any consistently.

I strongly agree that he was not fully support by TS and had major gaps in the squad which made his job more difficult.

I wish him well and hope he establishes himself in the game in the longer term.

• Options
    Released
    The League position says it all - can argue he wasn't backed but am sure he knew what was available to him player wise before signing up
  • Options
    Released
    odd thought I had..
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    The League position says it all - can argue he wasn't backed but am sure he knew what was available to him player wise before signing up
    Errrm…….it wasn’t so much what he was given as to what he didn’t get.
  • Options
    Released
    Release as possible catalyst for wider changes.

Would have liked to have seen his work with better quality tools at his disposal and would be for re-hiring in the future if he'd be interested.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Released
    refused to make best use of the resources at his disposal - or didn't recognise who's good and bad at what roles - arrogance or ineptitude add up to the same thing = inadequacy
    he wasn't the squad's only problem but he was a major one and critically one that skintgaard can actually do something about
    Garner was as badly managed, and badly treated, as he managed the team but that doesn't make retaining him any less wrong
    skintgaard, true to form, is compounding his mistakes by repeating them in full, there's clearly no succession planning in place
    telling that Scott Marshall declined the chance to step up as caretaker and thereby serve an extended interview for the top job, loyalty to BG would be laudable if unambitious, my two penn'th on Marshall being as pissed with skintgaard as the rest of us
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Kept
    Unproven one way or the other so would have kept until it was clear what way. Nobody could make it work with the lack of backing he had.
  • Options
    Kept
    Stability, stability stability.

Plus cash.
  • Options
    Kept
    Kept.

Honestly not given enough time or backing.
  • Options
    Kept
    razil said:
    odd thought I had..
    Me too, but I've just done it again.
  • Options
    Kept
    Kept 

Unlike JJ he was headhunted by the Sandgaard's.

Why couldn't they have given him a chance?
  • Options
    Released
    All depends who comes in ..... 
  • Options
    Kept
    Not an easy poll. I went kept on balance as he has not been backed but he could have done better with what he had so not a totally clear cut vote for me
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Released
    If the vote is based on feeling sorry for Garner due to the lack of time and support then clearly he was not deserving of the sack.

If the vote is about what's best for the club then in my opinion he leaves.

The club wins that argument for me.