Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Biggest Charlton Cup win

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Must be one of the, if not the, biggest gap in league standings we’ve over come? 55 places in the ladder (7th vs 62nd)? 
    I think it's the biggest upset.  When you consider where we are.

2 clean sheets against that Blackburn team, the come back at Coventry the only team to beat Jose at home for about 15 years, playing Wednesday off the park all get honorable mentions.
    Oh definitely, those are great results. But “biggest win” to me implies either highest scoring or biggest upset. I doubt we’ve ever beaten anyone 55 places above us in the league rankings.
  • Options
    Pompey away in the replay. 0-0 on the Saturday and a few days later trekking down to the south coast to find ourselves stuck in a packed Pompey crowd and looking like there were few Charlton fans there…and celebrating a 3-0 win
    That’s not a bad call. Standing on halfway line in the pouring rain with Les Turner.
    Brick thru coach window and Eddie putting his foot down.  Or 
    Blackburn away Shearer unable to score against us in 180 minutes football.
  • Options
    Coventry is probably my favourite cup match, particularly as they’d just edged us to survive the previous season. But I didn’t see us as underdogs particularly. Well, maybe at 2-0 I did. 

We’d have beaten Liverpool in a League Cup match (I think) at the Valley a few years earlier if the ball had been spinning in a different direction so that would have pipped it.  

The epic encounter against Wimbledon that finished with John Robinson’s brain imploding in joy deserves a mention. But we weren’t underdogs there either. 

Ultimately the Blackburn game was before we’d even considered the possibility of ever being a Prem club and beating Le Saux, Shearer, Batty et al felt incredible. 
  • Options
    In terms of league positions this must be the biggest shock since the infamous FA Cup run in 1923.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Blackburn or Chelsea (albeit Chelsea was on pens). Coventry was great too. But Spurs at white Hart Lane in 1985 felt like an even bigger achievement, even though it was a draw. We were a very poor side at the time but matched a really good Spurs, punch for punch throughout the 90 mins. Lots of players played out of their skins that afternoon. We came so close to winning it in the last minute too. 

So, albeit a draw on the day and we lost the replay, it's Spurs 1985 for me. 
  • Options
    Tonbridge away. 
  • Options
    First thing that came to mind was Coventry.
  • Options
    Definitely up there with Chelsea away for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Coventry is probably my favourite cup match, particularly as they’d just edged us to survive the previous season. But I didn’t see us as underdogs particularly. Well, maybe at 2-0 I did. 

We’d have beaten Liverpool in a League Cup match (I think) at the Valley a few years earlier if the ball had been spinning in a different direction so that would have pipped it.  

The epic encounter against Wimbledon that finished with John Robinson’s brain imploding in joy deserves a mention. But we weren’t underdogs there either. 

Ultimately the Blackburn game was before we’d even considered the possibility of ever being a Prem club and beating Le Saux, Shearer, Batty et al felt incredible. 
    Yep Coventry for me.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The first leg of that tie was something special too, was it 5-3, 4-3 to us?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

5-4 to us, with Bowyer getting a hat trick. A very good week with Leaburn getting another hat trick on the Saturday away at Ipswich.
  • Options
    The draw at Leeds was memorable for our absolutely non stop singing, possibly our best sustained support ever.
    #Ooh Ah where’s your star#
  • Options
    Maybe its yet too come!  :D
  • Options
    Cov away one of my all time favourite games cup or league 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

5-4 to us, with Bowyer getting a hat trick. A very good week with Leaburn getting another hat trick on the Saturday away at Ipswich.
    Thanks for that. I only decided to go at the last minute, thankfully a good decision.
  • Options
    The 5th round game at the Massives, with Chrissie swinging from the crossbar at the end, was pretty memorable.
  • Options
    Pompey away in the replay. 0-0 on the Saturday and a few days later trekking down to the south coast to find ourselves stuck in a packed Pompey crowd and looking like there were few Charlton fans there…and celebrating a 3-0 win
    This is my best cup memory too. Bunked off school to go to this one. Remember meeting at Waterloo along with the covered end boys. No one bought a train ticket in those days
  • Options
    Blackburn was a big achievement as we managed to hold them 0-0 at home so basically beat them over 2 legs not even just a one off game 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Blackburn away for me - had no voice for 2 days after. Chelsea way as my second and Norwich home at Selhurst probably third. Also remember a good afternoon out at Fulham in the cup in the early/mid eighties but can’t remember the result sadly
  • Options
    Blackburn was a big achievement as we managed to hold them 0-0 at home so basically beat them over 2 legs not even just a one off game 
    I’d forgotten that had even gone to a replay!
  • Options
    How many places were we above Wycombe when they knocked us out in the quarters ?
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Blackburn away for me - had no voice for 2 days after. Chelsea way as my second and Jorwich home at Selhurst probably third. Also remember a good afternoon out at Fulham in the cup in the early/mid eighties but can’t remember the result sadly
    2-1 ? Then next round Ipswich away, L3 charlton at Bobby Robson’s high flying 2nd in L1 team
  • Options
    There are very few massive cup wins for us because they tend to only happen for lower league clubs. If you are in the top flight or immediately below, a win isn’t a surprise.

However, now that we are an established lower league club, it’s great that we can look forward to adopting giant killer status. 

• Options
    letthegoodtimesroll said: Yes think you’re correct and the pre match hype was about Killer for us and Ivor someone for them. I was at the Ipswich game as well and didn't enjoy the metal cage we were penned in with the locals spitting through the bars at us. They weren’t to be seen after the game though.
    801912601 said:
    Blackburn away for me - had no voice for 2 days after. Chelsea way as my second and Jorwich home at Selhurst probably third. Also remember a good afternoon out at Fulham in the cup in the early/mid eighties but can’t remember the result sadly
    2-1 ? Then next round Ipswich away, L3 charlton at Bobby Robson’s high flying 2nd in L1 team

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Blackburn away but Sheffield Wednesday at home in the 90s worth a shout too. 

As others have said - Liverpool at home.

Coventry away will take some beating. 
  • Options
    Depressingly I can't think of many cup shocks I actually attended, especially away as I missed the Blackburn and Coventry games.

Indeed the Stevenage win on penalties was my first away win in any cup competition in 14 attempts  :smiley:
  • Options
    Wednesday in the cup, when they were premier league, 95/96 I think. That's the only other one I can think of
    My favourite too, my eldest was born '85, me, him and a mate in TCE, that was the day he became a proper Charlton fan, he had a season ticket for 19 years after that - probably still would if not for RD
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    That’s not a bad call. Standing on halfway line in the pouring rain with Les Turner.
    Brick thru coach window and Eddie putting his foot down.  Or 
    Blackburn away Shearer unable to score against us in 180 minutes football.
    Sorry, being pedantic, for atmosphere this was one of my favourite days, especially after the Sheff Wed game previous round - sure it was 1-1 on the Saturday ?