Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good things that Thomas Sandgaard has done

Comments

• Options
    Kept Valley Express going at a reasonable price (after he was advised ....).
  • Options
    I personally do believe that once the club gets sold, the whole song writing stuff will be looked back on as an amusing little patch in our recent history.

The song writing stuff was to help promote himself, yes, but it at least was just a bit of fun and someone attempting to show off/lighten up the mood a bit.

The initial countdown to Charlton tv song isn't actually that bad. Pretty good to be fair 

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    The Aquaducts.
    You referring to the stuff about the potholes? Are they linked now?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    I personally do believe that once the club gets sold, the whole song writing stuff will be looked back on as an amusing little patch in our recent history.

The song writing stuff was to help promote himself, yes, but it at least was just a bit of fun and someone attempting to show off/lighten up the mood a bit.

The initial countdown to Charlton tv song isn't actually that bad. Pretty good to be fair 

If he had understood about running a football club and had us getting decent results then we would have looked at his guitar player act as a mildly amusing aside. The failure on the pitch highlights the crap music man act.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I was trying to find a link, but failed. In the early days, didn't he donate quite an expensive piece of medical equipment to a fan in need?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    He tried to encourage new fans by giving away free tickets. The spirit of this was quite laudable even if the manner in which it was done was ill-considered and poorly managed.

The fact that he can't buy the valley and the training ground makes his personal involvement in everything at least a bit more understandable....otherwise what's he getting out of owning the club?

Sitting back and watching his account drain up?

He needs to leave soon as possible for both the clubs sake and his own family well being. 

I hope it ends well on good reasonable terms and this can all be a simple and quick exchange. It doesn't need to be anything other than that. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He paid to have the heaters put in for the under soil heating I believe.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I was trying to find a link, but failed. In the early days, didn't he donate quite an expensive piece of medical equipment to a fan in need?
    Correct.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Charlton tv has been a good introduction.
    Taken out of context, it's absolutely brilliant. I don't think any club at our level has anything close to being as good. I'm sure thousands of Charlton fans will have enjoyed its output.

Considered in the wider context of what the club ought to be focusing on though, it is at best a white elephant and, if allowed to continue in it's present state, could well prove to be unwelcome self-competition to the real business of selling tickets. The sad truth is that there is absolutely no demand for this product beyond existing customers who may in fact use it to reduce their spending and their involvement. It is bad business. Very bad.
    An excellent post. I wish it wasn't true but could well be the hindrance you describe. 
  • Options
    Stabilising a club just about to go bankrupt. Addressing many concerns the supporters had. Making good decisions - letting Bowyer go after seeing that he had taken the club as far as he could. Sacking Adkins. Sacking JJ. Sacking BG. All correct decisions. I'm a little reticent to say sacking BG was a good decision as I do think he should have at least been given a full window to bring in some forwards. And BG is a likeable guy. But do I think he was ever going to get this club into Championship and challenging for even further glory? Nope. He engaged with the fans. The excellent Charlton tv. The Charlton Ladies team. And his 'vision' for where he wanted to take us. I don't recall RD mentioning such lofty goals.  And genuinely loves the club, team and is very proud of his club. He repeatedly listens to supporters and acts. 
    He had no board or clear team running the football club. He has addressed that this week by hiring a COO, A Finance Director, A Technical Director, A First Team Coach. 

We all complain about social media and pile-ons and all the rest of it but WE are the people that do all this. Twenty years ago no-one would have criticised the owners of a football club. Few would have even considered the financial side. Perhaps we are unique in that we were very involved in the running of a football club after the debacle in the mid 1980s but generally speaking if we lost a game our ire never went higher than the First Team coach. We would abuse the player or players having a shocker. Or the tactics they were clearly having to follow by an inept manager. But it never went further than that. 

The same should apply today. Thank you Thomas Saandgard for buying our club. Keeping it going. Investing tonnes of cash in it, stabilising the running of this club. Bringing in new players. Firing those persons who needed to be fired. Even your awful Def Leppard-lite guitar riffery has its place!!!!!

Investing cash? It’s all loans that he can call in at any time.
    He stopped administration but would admin have been such a bad thing?
    Look at Wigan!!
  • Options
    Back in March he made a series of statements that were so far wide of the mark it was positive ... albeit in a negative way.  It is a lesson that may have come too late for him, but at least we all now know - without a shadow of doubt - that it is the diametric opposite that is true.

“I’m going to say something that is probably going to offend a lot of people involved in English football. Football, in general, is not that difficult. Common sense goes a long way."

“I’m not too worried about necessarily needing people who are already entrenched in English football."

“Once you are aware of not trying to get dragged into, like everyone else, emotionally then this thing is not too difficult.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-owner-thomas-sandgaard-common-sense-goes-a-long-way-in-football-i-dont-need-people-entrenched-in-the-english-game/

For the record I think his intentions are good and the way he lifted Charlton from the clutches of ESI was marvellous at the time.

• Options
    Stabilising a club just about to go bankrupt. Addressing many concerns the supporters had. Making good decisions - letting Bowyer go after seeing that he had taken the club as far as he could. Sacking Adkins. Sacking JJ. Sacking BG. All correct decisions. I'm a little reticent to say sacking BG was a good decision as I do think he should have at least been given a full window to bring in some forwards. And BG is a likeable guy. But do I think he was ever going to get this club into Championship and challenging for even further glory? Nope. He engaged with the fans. The excellent Charlton tv. The Charlton Ladies team. And his 'vision' for where he wanted to take us. I don't recall RD mentioning such lofty goals.  And genuinely loves the club, team and is very proud of his club. He repeatedly listens to supporters and acts. 
    He had no board or clear team running the football club. He has addressed that this week by hiring a COO, A Finance Director, A Technical Director, A First Team Coach. 

We all complain about social media and pile-ons and all the rest of it but WE are the people that do all this. Twenty years ago no-one would have criticised the owners of a football club. Few would have even considered the financial side. Perhaps we are unique in that we were very involved in the running of a football club after the debacle in the mid 1980s but generally speaking if we lost a game our ire never went higher than the First Team coach. We would abuse the player or players having a shocker. Or the tactics they were clearly having to follow by an inept manager. But it never went further than that. 

The same should apply today. Thank you Thomas Saandgard for buying our club. Keeping it going. Investing tonnes of cash in it, stabilising the running of this club. Bringing in new players. Firing those persons who needed to be fired. Even your awful Def Leppard-lite guitar riffery has its place!!!!!

"Twenty years ago no-one would have criticised the owners of a football club".
    Are you sure about that?
    FORTY + years ago Michael Glikstein's name was mud as a result his lack of investment and lack of ambition and passive acceptance of years of gradual decline of a once major First Division football club.
    You won't need to delve too far to find numerous other examples.
    "The same should apply today".
    Oh yeh and whilst we are at it let's obediently accept everything a Doctor, Teacher and Policeman tells us; don't talk back to your elders; let women know their place and don't trust foreigners.
    Sandgarrd has made a series of poor decisions and hopeless judgement calls at the helm of our football club and is currently overseeing the lowest league position in our history.
    He is rightly going to get called to account, hopefully in a reasoned and respectful manner.
    Personally I am beginning to find his defiant pig-ignorance offensive
  • Options
    Back in March he made a series of statements that were so far wide of the mark it was positive ... albeit in a negative way.  It is a lesson that may have come too late for him, but at least we all now know - without a shadow of doubt - that it is the diametric opposite that is true.

“I’m going to say something that is probably going to offend a lot of people involved in English football. Football, in general, is not that difficult. Common sense goes a long way."

“I’m not too worried about necessarily needing people who are already entrenched in English football."

“Once you are aware of not trying to get dragged into, like everyone else, emotionally then this thing is not too difficult.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-owner-thomas-sandgaard-common-sense-goes-a-long-way-in-football-i-dont-need-people-entrenched-in-the-english-game/

For the record I think his intentions are good and the way he lifted Charlton from the clutches of ESI was marvellous at the time.

An interesting set of quotes you picked there. They make it sound like he thought he was doing OK at the time. I wonder to what extent would he still agree with them. 
  • Options

I take issue with a few of your points there:

He didnt let Bowyer go in he usual sense of the phrase, Bowyer had had enough and quit.
    Adkins, JJ and BG were all TS's appointments. If he was right to sack them then he was only correcting his own mistakes after having wasted time and money on them and their signings - no credit to him there.
    I'd be astonished if the recent appointments are really anything to do with Thomas - this seems to be someone else's doing using someone else's money. It's a complete about turn from TS's pronouncements over the past two years.
    @Six-a-bag-of-nuts has responded to your point re the criticism of owners, and I agree with him. TS loves the spotlight and social media make it much easier to criticise before a wide audience, so its perhaps more visible and available than in past years, but it's always been there.

I agree with you on the positives re Charlton TV and the women's team, and most importantly pulling the club from the grasping fingers of the disgusting bald parasite Southall. I also think his initial intentions were good, but it has all turned sour as the business of football has proven to be more difficult in the execution than the theory, and he has refused to change his approach in the face of evidence that it wasn't working.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:

Look at Wigan!!
    We would have only gone into administration when all the assets had been sold. That means any players of any value. The bank accounts would have been emptied and football debts created so that any buyer would have to pay off the likes of Jones, players and hangers on.
    If you think it is hard for TS to find a buyer, what chance of selling a failing club with no players of any value, huge debts and no ground.
    IMO, Charlton would have ceased to exist without Sandgaard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sandgaard saved the club from crooks and brought energy and enthusiasm. This gives him a lot of credit.

Taking on the women's team looked like an initial positive sign - promotion to the WSL would bring kudos and deepen the club's community roots. But the "Charlton Ladies" fiasco was a massive warning sign of a man incapable of taking advice from elsewhere, a man who seemed to believe he could do everything in an industry where he knew nothing.

Similarly, the appointment of Nigel Adkins seemed like a positive sign... then that summer transfer window was cocked up. As has every summer transfer window since then. Including the summer of 2023, it would appear by the shabby way he treated Garner and the appointment of Dean Holden on a sort contract. Ultimately, Thomas Sandgaard is not up to the core business of either running a football club, or finding someone skilful enough to delegate it to.

He's basically been found out as a bit of a needy attention-seeker. A man with good intentions, but without the skills to follow them through. And while he has/had the cash, he doesn't have the humility or the trust in others to step back and let others do the work. 

It's a tragedy - we could have had a decent chief executive investing Sandgaard's money well while the man himself reserved his guitar act for big days and good causes. Instead, as Kevin Nolan put it, the man bought a dog but insisted on doing all the barking himself.

I wonder if the penny's dropped, or if he's raging against the world now because the days of people fawning over him in the Oak have gone. I really hope it's the former and he can step aside with dignity while it remains. 

I think this is pretty much exactly where I am. There were some good, positive things done early on which made me very optimistic. Since then, it's all started to look rather bleak. I'm not sure whether I'd say he's still in credit. Possibly he his, given how genuinely terrible things looked in the last days of Southall and how concerned I was that we weren't just looking at admin but at liquidation and starting again 5 steps below the league. As I've said before on other threads, if Thomas were to stay on, the current negatives would soon overwhelm the positives, if they haven't already, but if he goes in the immediate future he will at least be remembered as an improvement on other owners of the last 20 years or so. Not that that's a high bar to clear.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    CafcSCP said:

Look at Wigan!!
    We would have only gone into administration when all the assets had been sold. That means any players of any value. The bank accounts would have been emptied and football debts created so that any buyer would have to pay off the likes of Jones, players and hangers on.
    If you think it is hard for TS to find a buyer, what chance of selling a failing club with no players of any value, huge debts and no ground.
    It's a possibility, but maybe just as plausible that RD would have gone to Barclay and said "Ooerrr Mr B.This don't look so good. I don't want to lose £7M and get no rent. How much will you give me for the assets if you buy the Club?" 
  • Options
    Didn’t he also bring back Floyd & Harvey…👍
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Yes... But in new costumes

• Options
    Then sacked the guy inside the costume (sorry children & @Redmidland) but they’re not real 😉
  • Options
    I guess the investment in new buildings at the training ground has to be given a tick, even if it didn't get us Cat 1 for the academy
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    T_C_E said:
    Then sacked the guy inside the costume (sorry children & @Redmidland) but they’re not real 😉

Who's in there now? Martin Sandgaard?
  • Options
    saved the club from going bust
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:

Look at Wigan!!
    How exactly would he call in the loans, from himself? 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Redrobo said:
    CafcSCP said:

Look at Wigan!!
    It's a possibility, but maybe just as plausible that RD would have gone to Barclay and said "Ooerrr Mr B.This don't look so good. I don't want to lose £7M and get no rent. How much will you give me for the assets if you buy the Club?" 
    Even if Rolly accepted less than £20m for the grounds, there would still be the football debts the crooks would have created, players gone and we would probably have been relegated into the bargain.
    I think we will look back and conclude that overall we were better off having him own us.