Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford United v Charlton Athletic | Thursday 29 December 2022 | Match Preview

edited December 2022 in General Charlton
Oxford United v Charlton Athletic
Thursday 29th December 2022
Kick off: 19.45

Referee: Ben Toner (previously officiated a Charlton match away at Bolton in February)

Introduction
Holden opened his Charlton account as manager with a fairly even draw against Peterborough on Boxing Day, playing two academy boys up top together in a 3-5-2 system, something we may have to get used to again. Clare and Rak-Sakyi ought to have scored their chances but it goes down as another game without a win for the Addicks. This winless run needs to end as soon as possible, and all will be hoping that we pick up what would be our second away win in the league, all season. Charlton travel to Oxfordshire in what will be the final game of 2022.

Opposition
Karl Robinson’s side sit just above Charlton with one more point, making this fixture even more important. It’s these type of games we haven’t been winning and need to start.

Oxford have a number of players who can and often do hurt us. Brannagan in centre midfield is one of the standout players in the division, whereas players like Bodin, Browne, Murphy, and Henry behind Matty Taylor up front make Oxford a very difficult side to play against. Robinson likes to cancel out opponents and with a new formation for us, I can see them going to a back 3 as well.

Last time out Oxford lost to Ipswich who are arguably the best team in the league, so nothing really to analyse there. Before that they drew with another top team, Sheffield Wednesday. This isn’t going to be easy.

Charlton
Kanu partnered Leaburn up front and with Stockley no longer club captain, you can assume that the two youngsters will continue again on Thursday evening. Whilst we are on forwards, Aneke was feeling some nerve pain following a successful scan on his hamstring. Hopefully it’s something that can be cleared up quickly because he’s most certainly in front of Stockley in Holden’s thinking.

There will be changes considering the turnaround, the fact players have been unwell, and some coming back from injury. But we don’t have the depth for too many.

Maynard-Brewer
Inniss Lavelle Ness
Clare Dobson Fraser Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi
Leaburn Kanu

MacGillivray, Mitchell, Henry, Forster-Caskey, Payne, Blackett-Taylor, Stockley

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Never fancy us against this lot, especially not away. Would take another draw,but don't think we'll get it, so I am going firmly in hope. 

Charlton 1-2 Oxford.
  • Options
    I am unusually optimistic about this game. 
  • Options
    I am unusually optimistic about this game. 
    Oi…….that’s not allowed in CL nowadays.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Honestly can’t believe at the this level we’ve not won a game since 22nd October. Dire run and just can’t see us scoring goals and keeping clean sheets 
  • Options
    Another draw. Need to score though because I don't think we will keep a clean sheet. 1-1. Leaburn to put us in front again.
  • Options
    I am going to this game, Xmas treat from my son. Performance first and hopefully nick the win. But think Gobbo will turn us over. 0-1
  • Options
    I am going to this game, Xmas treat from my son. Performance first and hopefully nick the win. But think Gobbo will turn us over. 0-1
    What you do to upset him? :wink:

Tough game but whatever happens, we cant lose it and have them start to pull away from us.

Hoping we will nick it 1-0 and Leaburn continues his very good debut season!
  • Options
    Thought Payne looked good and came off, so hope he isn't chucked on the bench.

Not quite sure on the team, think another 1-1 draw might be in order
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The more I think of it, the more I see Clare starting at right centre back with Chin coming in at right wing back. Inniss rested and will play New Year’s Day.
  • Options
    Two quite shit teams battle it out for 14th place.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    The more I think of it, the more I see Clare starting at right centre back with Chin coming in at right wing back. Inniss rested and will play New Year’s Day.
    Terell Thomas not ready yet then mate ?
  • Options
    Anyone know if tickets are available on the door? 
    Thanks 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    When we take the lead we lose or draw and when we go behind we lose or draw so I suppose a draw is the best we can hope for here.

Chin is learning the game and I was impressed with how he grew into the Brighton game but the fact is, he doesn't stop enough balls gpoing in at the moment and whilst this will undoubtably improve, I think we need him to improve off the bench with us winning 2-0 npt starting at 0-0.
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Anyone know if tickets are available on the door? 
    Thanks 

Tickets are no longer on sale from The Valley's Ticket Office.

Remaining tickets will be available to purchase on the gate at the Kassam Stadium on Thursday evening.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/match-preview-oxford-united-v-charlton

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Sage said:
    One of the players who has been ill over Christmas period so assuming he’s not back/ready/recovered yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I am looking forward to the trip up to Oxford hopefully the team will be up for it & get us a much needed win going for a 3-1 win for the famous CAFC  :)
  • Options
    We will scored and concede so either 1-1 or 2-1 either way.  Hope for the best and fear for the worst. 
  • Options
    Oxford are another in the rapidly growing list of our League 1 bogey teams, so I’d be happy with a point. 

I’d like to see Blackett-Taylor given a run out in place of Jes Raj-Sakyi, but have no idea as to how he’s been training and his level of fitness. The other wide player who’s temporarily disappeared from view is Tyreece Campbell, who’s presumably picked up a knock.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Sage said:
    On OS, Thomas and Morgan are over their illness so could be in the squad
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Clare was so good at wing back so I would rather have Mitchell in for Inniss if he needs a rest 
  • Options
    Holden said there is sickness in the camp ahead of tonight’s game ..

Bloody ref who could not see a clear hand ball at Bolton 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Holden said there is sickness in the camp ahead of tonight’s game ..

Bloody ref who could not see a clear hand ball at Bolton 
    Tom Reeves was in charge at Bolton this season not Ben Toner 
  • Options
    Team News:

Albie Morgan, Terell Thomas - Maybe
    Diallang Jaiyesimi, Chuks Aneke - Doubt

Joe Wollacott, Mandela Egbo, Eoghan O'Connell, Conor McGrandles - Unavailable

Oxford:

15th in the League, 2 places and a point above us. They lost their last game 3-0 and a 0-0 before that.

Head to Head:

CAFC and OUFC have played eachother 49 times. Us winning 18, them 12 and 19 draws. We drew 1-1 in our last game.

Refs:

Ben Toner to ref, he lasted refereed us when we lost 2-1 to Bolton in February. Linesmen are Paul Yates and Christopher Wade. FO is Sunny Gil

Colours:

We will wear our white away kit

CTV:

Available in the UK, Jason Pearce and Steve Brown are guests
  • Options
    Honestly can’t believe at the this level we’ve not won a game since 22nd October. Dire run and just can’t see us scoring goals and keeping clean sheets 
    New formation, new style of play, some changes in starting eleven. Anything’s possible. (Ever the optimist). 
  • Options
    Next year hopefully he'll give you some socks instead  :)
  • Options
    Am going with the most in my family for absolute yonks -6-10 years+ - no idea what has inspired them, but love the fact my daughter and her other half are up for a game after so long. So, think some of our squad will be keen to continue to impress Holden (Clare, Kanu and Leaburn for starters) and that will be enough for a narrow victory 2-1. 🤞🤞
  • Options
    Tickets will be available to buy on the night from the North turnstiles ticket office from 630pm btw. 
  • Options
    "Injury-wise there’s one or two that we’re looking at who can’t play three games in six days due to different reasons – previous injury records and all that sort of stuff. We have to take that information in and we have to use it wisely."

Inniss and ? 

Sessegnon might be one of them, as his durability is a bit suspect. He played full 90s against Brighton and Posh, so maybe Chin might play.