Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Year’s Eve celebrations - fan or no fan?

Comments

• Options
    It's the most pointless and overrated celebration going. The fact that pubs charge is outrageous - and I'm not convinced legal (if you are charging people to get in, you quite literally are not operating a public house). It also marks the end of the Christmas holidays, so it has that Sunday evening feel only more so. It's all a bit shit really. The only thing that kept me sane was listening to Nick Abbott's A-Z of 2022.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    As with all 'Special days', it has become a money making venture for the fat merchants.

So stayed home, had a few extra and a Chicken madras. Looked for something to watch on the stream and stumbled on the 2019 Royal Edinburgh Tattoo. I love the pipes and drums, as well as the massed bands of the Guards, so I watched it.

It was marvellous and the joy from the different bands and dancers and singers from all over the world, joining in the spectacle was such a real pleasure to see.

The 2022 was brilliant, too. US army were great.

Then it occured to me that what made it really special, was there were no fucking politicians involved.

Happy New Year all.
  • Options
    Like many. I really don't like Nye. It's very forced. Got to start thinking about work with a stinking hangover, make yet more dents in the bank etc. 

Thankfully I was ill again this year so hot ribena and bed all on my own with WW2 road to victory on. The best new years I've ever had by far. 

HNY everyone. 
  • Options
    Never been a big fan of NYE. Last time I can remember celebrating it significantly was in 2001 in Sydney when we were holidaying in New Zealand and then spending a few days in Sydney on the way back. Thought we should make an effort and somehow managed to book a table situated in the first floor bay window of a decent Chinese restaurant in the Rocks area directly across the harbour from the opera house. A bit pricey but they had a fixed price nine course banquet menu incl. champagne.

Watched the usual procession of boats across the harbour and 2 fireworks displays (a short one at 9PM for youngsters and the big one at midnight). When the restaurant closed at 1AM they sent us off with a full bottle of champagne that was opened. Remember my wife calling her parents when we got back to our hotel to wish them a happy new year. When we returned home from the holiday they said my wife was slurring her words so badly they could hardly understand a word she had said.

Was a slow start the next day.
  • Options
    When I worked in the hotel business I had to work every NYE, which really turned me off celebrating it when I left the industry.
    Now we have a couple of dogs we always stay at home to make sure they’re not traumatized by idiots letting off fire works all night long.
  • Options
    It’s my brothers bday today and mine tomorrow, and I’ve still always hated NYE. Over hyped shite where too many bell ends go out. 
    This, was out the night before till 3am and in bed by 10pm last night, fireworks woke me up

HBD fella 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    NYE was quite a big thing when j was a young lad growing up in Scotland. First footing and all that malarkey. I’ve gradually grown to dislike it all over the years. I find it very forced and always feel a little down after Christmas. I only stay up now to comfort my dog who goes mental at fireworks. Thankfully last night it was ten minutes’ worth.

HNY to all. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Last time I went out on NYE was in the late 90's. My mate owned a village pub up in Nottinghamshire where I lived then. It was ticket only, but tickets were free and given to regulars only + 1. Everyone in the pub by 8.30 then doors were closed, my Mrs was one of the barmaids, so I took my usual stool at the bar and had a throughly good time, and much alcohol was consumed!
    Since then, it has been stay at home, have a few glasses of Red, watch TV, watch the fireworks on TV and bed! Last 2 years it's been stay-at-home, watch TV (last night it was Saving Private Ryan) and then bed by 11pm! Most enjoyable...and cheep! Trying to stay awake till midnight....nah thanks, getting ripped off in pubs...nah thanks, waking up feeling refreshed...yes please......until the game today will no doubt destroy my happy mood! 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I used to dislike the pressure to have a really good time, it all seemed a bit forced.
    My favourite NYE was when, after having a cold during the Christmas period at my parents house, I went back to London, and the next day went out for a coffee and a read of the newspaper. I looked at the date and it was the 1st of January. Had no idea it was New Year’s Eve the night before. Made my day!
    Ironically, in recent years our New Year’s Eves have got better and better because we have friends who host host really good New Year’s Eve parties - so it’s all pretty straightforward.
    But I don’t blame anyone for ignoring the whole caboodle. 
  • Options
    I've found that at NYE parties it's an exercise in forced jollity while you wait until 12:30 so you can go home to bed. Nowadays I much prefer, like others on here, a takeaway, a decent bottle of red and a film. Fireworks piss me off as they started around 7:30 last night, had a resurgence at 9:30 then from 11:30 to 12:30. Even the trembling hound ignored the last lot so perhaps he's getting over it. 
    He's getting a long walk today before we have a massive Sunday lunch - perfect start to the year
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad the whole season is over.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I used to love a party as a chance to pull which was always good fun. Now, happily married for nearly 25 years, I am not a fan of parties as when music is blaring I can't hear any conversations. And my knees hurt when I dance. My message to those young enough to do those things is don't get too close to loud speakers and if you are injured, dont carry on playing football.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Anyone watch the Sam Ryder show on the beeb last night?.
    Getting rave reviews on social media
  • Options
    Never been one for being in tbe pub for midnight on nye meself. Was in the pub from about 1pm yesterday, but all the regulars drifted off about 7 o'clock as soon as all the one-night-a-year drinkers started piling in and rearranging the tables.

Always been one for New Years Day piss up at the football and then a disco / lock-in down the Horse in the evening. Great memories
  • Options
    Can't be arsed with it, cooked a nice meal at home and watched No Time To Die, mumbled Happy New Year to the missus and we went to bed. Only stayed up beyond midnight to soothe the dogs who don't like fireworks, so we have to play background music to try and drown them out 
  • Options
    Yes, he was quite good and very happy and energetic.  I presume he doesn’t support Charlton in that case 
  • Options
    When I worked in the hotel business I had to work every NYE, which really turned me off celebrating it when I left the industry.
    Now we have a couple of dogs we always stay at home to make sure they’re not traumatized by idiots letting off fire works all night long.
    As a dog owner it annoys me when other dog owners think they have the right to criticise people letting off fireworks on NYE or Bonfire night. 
  • Options
    How people get excited enough to cheer like they’ve just won the lottery at possible the most predictable thing that occurs across the world, the clock ticking to midnight, I will never know.  
  • Options
    Now, people celebrating the millennium a year early, that is cause for complaint 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of the problems with NYE is that it feels forced as others have mentioned. This comes straight off the back of another forced event, Christmas.
    I love Christmas but can see why two forced events in a week gets people's back up.

I was in central London during most of the day yesterday and you just don't get that air of excitement that you get for other mass events.

You look at the crowd opposite the wheel and it just looks soulless. I think London could make the event much more enticing If it made the effort.
    I look at Times square and it looks like a cracking atmosphere
  • Options
    I don’t know why people would go to embankment to watch the fireworks. You have to get there hours early, can’t drink etc. just stand on the cold waiting for the 15 mins of fireworks 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I don’t know why people would go to embankment to watch the fireworks. You have to get there hours early, can’t drink etc. just stand on the cold waiting for the 15 mins of fireworks 
    We went the year before Covid and everyone was drinking. All the pubs were serving in plastic cups so one of us would hold our spot on the embankment while the other got the drinks.

Have they changed the rules?
  • Options
    Yer really good show and what a singer 🍺
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Yes, he was quite good and very happy and energetic.  I presume he doesn’t support Charlton in that case 
    Sam Ryder comes from Woolwich or worked in Woolwich (he said when interviewed).
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    We went the year before Covid and everyone was drinking. All the pubs were serving in plastic cups so one of us would hold our spot on the embankment while the other got the drinks.

Have they changed the rules?
    Was that the south side ? 
    Know someone who went in 2018 by Houses of Parliament and they said it was no alcohol allowed. Maybe it changed the next year? 
  • Options
    Miserable lot on here, it's a good night out. Who on earth pays to go to the pub though, never seen that before 
  • Options
    Nice little pub crawl last night, got home at 3.30am so yes I'm a fan of NYE.
  • Options
    Must have been a slow crawl if it took 3hrs to get home
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Must have been a slow crawl if it took 3hrs to get home.
    LOL, 20 mins up the hill pub closed just after 3am.