Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Year’s Eve celebrations - fan or no fan?

13»

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    When I worked in the hotel business I had to work every NYE, which really turned me off celebrating it when I left the industry.
    Now we have a couple of dogs we always stay at home to make sure they’re not traumatized by idiots letting off fire works all night long.
    As a dog owner it annoys me when other dog owners think they have the right to criticise people letting off fireworks on NYE or Bonfire night. 
    I would hate to be a dog owned by you then
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    When I worked in the hotel business I had to work every NYE, which really turned me off celebrating it when I left the industry.
    Now we have a couple of dogs we always stay at home to make sure they’re not traumatized by idiots letting off fire works all night long.
    As a dog owner it annoys me when other dog owners think they have the right to criticise people letting off fireworks on NYE or Bonfire night. 
    Why? Because your dog is scared of them you think something enjoyed by millions should be banned ? 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    sam3110 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Why? Because your dog is scared of them you think something enjoyed by millions should be banned ? 
    Not just dogs though is it.

Dont have an issue with Fireworks, but think they should become regulated, with them only used at events, rather than in back gardens etc. - Felt a bit ridiculous last night the amount going off round my way, whilst at the same time there being high winds.

How many times will an official event get called off because of the weather conditions.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of New Year's Eve as I've had to work most of them in the last 23 years.
  • Options
    January is usually the most gloomy boring month of the year.

I fell asleep early last night and couldn't care less about celebrating a new year. Although I am personally pleased with my 2022 as I got a lot of stuff sorted out.

My general football interest is hitting a gradual decline. Maybe its some post world Cup blues combined with hearing continuous bad news about charltons off field problems!
  • Options
    Yes of course. Any excuse for a party, spent ours at a Rock n Roll event in Stuttgart - great time. The whole city seems to set off fireworks at midnight, never seen anything like it. Staggered to bed at 4AM, and feeling alright today, so that's a bonus. HNY everyone!   
  • Options
    The only reason I dont mind NYE is that it's celebrating the end of the bloody 'festive season'. We just stay in and attempt to stay awake to see the new year in. The fireworks are a discusting waste of money at the best of times, but with the amount of homeless people, need for food banks etc it's criminal. Show a video of last year's ones on a big screen if you have to.
  • Options
    Yes of course. Any excuse for a party, spent ours at a Rock n Roll event in Stuttgart - great time. The whole city seems to set off fireworks at midnight, never seen anything like it. Staggered to bed at 4AM, and feeling alright today, so that's a bonus. HNY everyone!   
    We were in Berlin last night and the fireworks were on another level, Germans obviously love it!
  • Options
    The only reason I dont mind NYE is that it's celebrating the end of the bloody 'festive season'. We just stay in and attempt to stay awake to see the new year in. The fireworks are a discusting waste of money at the best of times, but with the amount of homeless people, need for food banks etc it's criminal. Show a video of last year's ones on a big screen if you have to.
    Yeah, and people buying houses with more bedrooms than people living there, and buying cars that do more than 70mph and people who eat out at restaurants when can make dinner a lot cheaper for themselves, or no paying to go to a football match when can see the result online 

disgusting 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    was at the AU lounge in sidcup last night - think the millers girls may have found a new home 
  • Options
    I noticed we had a stampede in London last night similar to the euro 2020 final by ticketless yobbos. I mean, can't they see the fireworks from the other side of a barrier?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I don’t know why people would go to embankment to watch the fireworks. You have to get there hours early, can’t drink etc. just stand on the cold waiting for the 15 mins of fireworks 
    We went the year before Covid and everyone was drinking. All the pubs were serving in plastic cups so one of us would hold our spot on the embankment while the other got the drinks.

Have they changed the rules?
    Was that the south side ? 
    Know someone who went in 2018 by Houses of Parliament and they said it was no alcohol allowed. Maybe it changed the next year? 
    No, north side, just down from Charing Cross 
  • Options
    I'm in my late 60s. Last year went to St Ives, Cornwall for NYE. It's listed as best place in the Country to see in the new year and it's not wrong. Had a great time. People of all ages enjoying themselves.  Nowt wrong with that. Place was absolutely buzzing. 
  • Options
    When I was still getting paid to DJ new years eve was a bonanza, get booked up by autumn at the latest and laugh as you told venues, bar managers, landlords and landladies the going rate which after a couple of years I would ramp right up to see how far I could push it and the mugs would pay it, I felt zero remorse as invariably these opportunistic arseholes were also charging regulars and anyone else to enter their establishment. 

I never minded, I was good at my job, had one year when a place tried to knock me and that was over my free tab that they changed their mind about on the night. At that stage I told them it wasn't a problem and I'd be finishing in the next ten minutes (this was about 10pm) bar tab restored and mental note never to work for them again.  

Now I don't have that mega pay day I couldn't give less of a shit, everyone, like me takes the piss and charges through the nose for shit that shouldn't be charged through the nose for, so the best way to cut that tie is not to take part. The last new years eve I was properly out for was in Belgium when I did a spell DJing, thought they would all want a crescendo at midnight and I was the big draw only to discover it was only really the early birds out at midnight over there and 4am was a more likely time for getting gripped by a loose moraled local female rather than 10 to 11. 

New years eve can fuck right off 

• Options
    Near me a load of fireworks just went off at midnight. Did someone get the date wrong, and celebrated January 2nd by mistake?
  • Options
    I used to love going out with mates on NYE - some good ones up in central London and also round the Bexleyheath/Erith area. If you are out with friends, what's not to like?
    recently, it's been an 'at home' thing, and just a nice family ritual, but with no big deal - food, champagne. party stuff followed by an hour on the mobile wishing other people a happy new year.

This year, I was over in London with a family issue. As it was a last minute visit, everything was closed off and sold out, plus exhorbitantly overpriced. We had a meal in a hotel restaurant near Marble Arch from which the atmousphere had been completely erased, and in the streets outside, there was no real party feel. certainly wouldn't do that again.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    When I was still getting paid to DJ new years eve was a bonanza, get booked up by autumn at the latest and laugh as you told venues, bar managers, landlords and landladies the going rate which after a couple of years I would ramp right up to see how far I could push it and the mugs would pay it, I felt zero remorse as invariably these opportunistic arseholes were also charging regulars and anyone else to enter their establishment. 

I never minded, I was good at my job, had one year when a place tried to knock me and that was over my free tab that they changed their mind about on the night. At that stage I told them it wasn't a problem and I'd be finishing in the next ten minutes (this was about 10pm) bar tab restored and mental note never to work for them again.  

Now I don't have that mega pay day I couldn't give less of a shit, everyone, like me takes the piss and charges through the nose for shit that shouldn't be charged through the nose for, so the best way to cut that tie is not to take part. The last new years eve I was properly out for was in Belgium when I did a spell DJing, thought they would all want a crescendo at midnight and I was the big draw only to discover it was only really the early birds out at midnight over there and 4am was a more likely time for getting gripped by a loose moraled local female rather than 10 to 11. 

New years eve can fuck right off 

Some 40 years when I used to do DJ. There was the bribe, during at least one NYE private function, of "we'll pay you "x" if you play for another hour". Which then turned into another extra hour. Really didn't make any difference to me how long I played for. 

Nowadays just happy for the quiet life. My wife and I were invited to a couple of "gatherings" but made our excuses and chose, as she flies out today for three weeks in Adelaide, to spend the evening with just the two of us. Had an early meal out - we had to vacate by 8.45pm because the second shift would then come in to have their food and bring in the New Year with a disco - spent the rest of the evening watching a film (The Pursuit of Happyness), spoke to our son in Adelaide, exchanged text messages with my other one and followed that up with Sam Ryder (recorded Hootenanny) through to midnight and beyond. It was lovely. 
  • Options
    Much prefer to go out NYD, especially this year having today off. Although it Seems the world and his dog felt the same yesterday. Went to Leigh on Sea and every pub was packed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Christmas is usually a bit of a non-event for me so I've always been a fan of NYE - keep it cheap, keep it simple and keep your expectations low. My plans fell through quite late on so I ended up popping into a couple of places and saying hello, bus home at one o'clock, all good. 

New Year's Day drinking is hugely underrated. This week is the best week to get out and support your favourite boozers...
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    When I say idiots I mean idiots chasing each other up and down the lane where we live chucking fire crackers at each other, which more often than not explode on our doorstep frightening the dogs to death!
  • Options
    I had a few people this year, as usual, say to me 'Bonne fête' to which I jokingly replied with the reality: 'Non, bonne soirée de télévision.'

If people wish me a 'Happy New Year' I always feel like saying 'I don't know. I haven't lived it yet' but it feels a bit too 'golfie-ish' to actually say it out loud.