Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone on here play/played darts ?

I know a lot of people on here work/worked up town, so wondered if any of you played in the CBFIDL (City Bank and Financial Institution Darts League) summer league or winter league. 

I played for NatWest and RBS from 1988-2010

Comments

• Options
    I currently play in the COLDA (City of London Darts Association) league set up. 

New season is starting this month and there is space for new players! 
  • Options
    Who do you play for Croydon and what is your home pub?  So many pubs have lost their boards since I last played 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Played for one season in the city for Bank of America back in 1975!

Played regularly team darts in Charlton pubs over a number of years - started off when I was 18 in the Rose of Denmark when Bob Cornell had the pub, then The Antigallican when Richie was guvnor (still a mate to this day), Royal Oak when Don had it, and the Horse & Groom when Roger and Maureen ran it. Great days.

Still play for fun at home in the man cave, and still pretty useful although nowhere near as good as I was.
  • Options
    When I started in 88 the toughest teams were the messengers who played darts all day in between their deliveries 
  • Options
    I currently play for a team in Harlow, its all social clubs there are 16 teams in total.

Played a couple of seasons in the IDL in London too 4-5 years ago
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Who do you play for Croydon and what is your home pub?  So many pubs have lost their boards since I last played 
    It's a singles league mate. We have 8 or so approved venues in and around The City, but I tend to play at The Horseshoe in Farringdon when I can. 
  • Options
    What division you in Croydon?

Just had a look at the website. 
    Few names on there that I remember from back in the day. 
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    I currently play for a team in Harlow, its all social clubs there are 16 teams in total.

Played in that league for a bit too, with BNYMellon. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Nicholas said:

Played in that league for a bit too, with BNYMellon. 
    It was good but sometimes arranging matches was a pain in the arse and just had a second kid so knocked it on the head. Some quality players in it.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Played regularly team darts in Charlton pubs over a number of years - started off when I was 18 in the Rose of Denmark when Bob Cornell had the pub, then The Antigallican when Richie was guvnor (still a mate to this day), Royal Oak when Don had it, and the Horse & Groom when Roger and Maureen ran it. Great days.

Still play for fun at home in the man cave, and still pretty useful although nowhere near as good as I was.
    Horse and Groom, Richard & Maureen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think @paulbaconsarnie has been playing on the local circuit for decades 
  • Options
    Think @paulbaconsarnie has been playing on the local circuit for decades 
    Yeah, not in any of the leagues mentioned though.
    Started in 85/6 playing as a 15/16 year old for the Yorkshire Grey in the Plumstead and District Monday 5s board league.
    For the last 20-25 years play Wednesdays in the Astral league but there’s only 10 teams left now with 5 playing out of the same club. Treat it more as a social to break the week up more than anything.
    Only ever committed to one night per week but spent a few years playing in a Thursday league for White Horse? (Bottom of Belmont Hill) and helped out a friend by playing for the Ladywell Tavern again in a league based around Lewisham.
    I’d love to play in the singles league but circumstances and commitments to the team I’m in prevent that.
    Met loads of top people over the years.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    bobmunro said:

Yes - his real name was Roger but known as Richard! Lovely couple. We had some great nights in there, not just the darts.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Silver B, any names in there familiar to you?

Some really good lads in the set-up, a very social league. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    R0TW said:
    bobmunro said:

Yes - his real name was Roger but known as Richard! Lovely couple. We had some great nights in there, not just the darts.
    Every day's a school day. Never knew that.
    Used to live on estate behind it.
    I would assume you knew big Sid, Fireman Fred and maybe my old man, John the postman?
  • Options
    In the mid eighties I played for Commercial Union in the London Insurance Darts League.

Our home pub was the Crosby Head in Old Street.
  • Options
    80/90s Played for the Rose (Overy Street) in the Dartford and District League and Wheatsheaf in a league based around Borough Market area.  Good times.
  • Options
    In the mid eighties I played for Commercial Union in the London Insurance Darts League.

I played in the LIODA league from 1996-2006 for Sedgwick and then Marsh.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    MrOneLung said:

Silver B, any names in there familiar to you?

Some really good lads in the set-up, a very social league. 
    Don't recognize any of those names Croydon, but if any of them are around 50'ish i might recognise their faces !!

Gareth Turner in premier A is a fantastic player
    Got badly beaten by him and his Standard Chartered team on many occasions - think he used to enter the British Open as well. heard he also scored a century in snooker and played golf off of scratch !!

Chris Harp in Gold B used to be in my RBS team for a couple of seasons before returning back to Lovell's (?) when they were going fold their team.

Pozzi in Silver A, think used to play for Lloyds

• Options

I wouldn’t have played against you because I moved on in the late 80’s, but I definitely remember playing Sedgwick’s
    Was they based in the Aldgate area?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I played in bankers and brokers league in early 90s, was very young and not that good.
    I played on my 21st Birthday, after drinking all day. Don't remember much and was living with parents then. Obv lost the darts match. Got a black taxi all the way home from the City to Erith, tried a runner but cabbie just followed me home and knocked on the door. My Mum had to pay him. Woke up to v angry Mum in the morning and a strange mac was hanging on the bannister, which had a tyre mark on the bottom of it.
    The captain of the oppo team called the office the next day saying one of us had picked up a mac as he had one of ours. I had to go and meet the guy lunchtime and swap macs, his house keys were also in the pocket, v embarrassing.
    Oh and the mac was about 3 sizes too big.

• Options
    who did you play for @Redhenry and which pub ?
  • Options

I wouldn’t have played against you because I moved on in the late 80’s, but I definitely remember playing Sedgwick’s
    Yes, mate. Commercial Street/Whitechapel High Street one way system. Slap bang in the middle of it, opposite the Aldgate Exchange pub (no longer there).

Played all over the city.
  • Options
    Greig Middleton, trying to remember the pub

• Options
    edited January 2023
    played a lot in a pub just off Moorgate, on the high walk
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Also, used to play in a pub at lunchtimes on Moorgate, U had to go up some stairs to get to it. Think it had a tram on the sign
  • Options
    Just remembered playing a lot of home games at the Windmill pub, just north of Fins Sq
  • Options
    Also played London General, 127 Finsbury Pavement. EC2A 1NQ. 
  • Options

Yes, mate. Commercial Street/Whitechapel High Street one way system. Slap bang in the middle of it, opposite the Aldgate Exchange pub (no longer there).

Played all over the city.
    I remember it well.
    Sedgewick’s were a good team.
    In the mid 80’s CU and Sedgwick’s always had some really good games against each other.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I played in bankers and brokers league in early 90s, was very young and not that good.
    I played on my 21st Birthday, after drinking all day. Don't remember much and was living with parents then. Obv lost the darts match. Got a black taxi all the way home from the City to Erith, tried a runner but cabbie just followed me home and knocked on the door. My Mum had to pay him. Woke up to v angry Mum in the morning and a strange mac was hanging on the bannister, which had a tyre mark on the bottom of it.
    The captain of the oppo team called the office the next day saying one of us had picked up a mac as he had one of ours. I had to go and meet the guy lunchtime and swap macs, his house keys were also in the pocket, v embarrassing.
    Oh and the mac was about 3 sizes too big.

Reminds me when my team played out of The Crown in Eltham.
    We had a player who worked near Elephant and Castle who often had very extended lunch breaks (as in he went to the pub and didn’t return to office). 
    Anyhow, one dart night he turned up to the crown having got a cab rather than train ‘because it was raining’.
    He was extremely pissed but we had to play him and he proceeded to have his best averages he ever had for us.
    He phoned me the next morning to apologise for not turning up to the match.