Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vinyl

2»

Comments

• Options
    If anybody has an original ‘Picturesque matchstickable messages of the Status Quo’ album
    and would like to sell. Pm me .
  • Options
    Having just moved to my first house last year I have finally started buying vinyl (I've wanted to for ages just never had the space). Going to be an expensive hobby.

If anyone on here is looking to sell stuff I'd definitely be interested.
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    Vinyl is 100% better sound than C.D.The range of music is greater.I also have about 300 45s singles. I have a C.D Recorder so I can transfer Vinyl to C D,which
     is handy because some Albums are not availale on C D I then can play them in the car.
    People often say that but I don’t think my ears 👂 are that discerning and doubt I’d notice the difference.
  • Options

Not all equipment has to be expensive. Picked up my Garrard 301 deck plus some speakers for nothing on freecycle about 10 years ago. They go for a fortune on ebay!
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    My first vinyl album I bought in 1958 it was Duane Eddy The twangs the thang.I still have all the L Ps since then which are played on a £1000 record deck which has a
     £200 M/C cartridge.And a pair of B and W £600 speakers.if LPs are kept propaly and cleaned with Special Vinyl cleaning fluid they sound ok.
    Yeah, but how’s your hearing?
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    @fadgadget I got one of these last year - very happy with it. Sturdy and sound quality is good.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    @fadgadget I got one of these last year - very happy with it. Sturdy and sound quality is good.
    Glad to hear , ive been reading lots of reviews , its between this or the Rega planar 1
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Any chance we can stick to the original post, I know its a stupid request but hey!
  • Options
    fadgadget said:
    Why not just buy a 1200/1210?
    Must dig mine out of the shed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bet none of you have a copy of this 

the only record i own
    Is that BA 'I was standing on the goal line when the ball got crossed' Robertson in the back row with the sun glasses?
  • Options
    Bizarre - I started going through my LP collection yesterday, to rationalise them to a manageable number. This has been on my to-do list for 20+ years…..

As to the sound of vinyl, George Martin, who knew about this stuff, reckoned that there are frequencies that you can’t hear but add to the warmth of the music and would be captured by analogue but are clipped by digital e.g. putting it on a CD. This gets worse when you compress it more going to mp3. Of course, this all relies on the original recordings being made on analogue equipment, most stuff now is recorded using digital. I’m only guessing, but I’d say there’s less differences to be heard in recent stuff than things recorded 25+ years ago.
  • Options
    @sillav nitram you need to do what's best for you. It sounds like you're on the right track by giving your mate a clause that if anything turns out to be worth a lot he'll give you more.

I've got rid of some vinyl but still get it now mainly from people I know (Magic City Trio being the latest addition). I've still got around 4-500 LPs, 100 12" and around 800 singles. Realistically I never play most of it and hold on to it for sentimental reasons. All the really good stuff was surgically removed by someone who is no longer a friend when he stayed with us 25 years ago. Bastard. Had most of the Postcard singles, most of the early Creation singles, Smiths, Wedding Present ... losing that lot is one of the reasons I can't easily part with much of the rest.  
  • Options
    Recently started when I got a turntable as a present, the idea being digitalising a few old records I had from the 80s. It sat around for a bit so I decided to buy some some speakers for it, played a few and enjoyed it.

Now just beginning to collect a couple of bits of signed stuff from a few smaller bands I like, they make a little mark up on those and an enjoyable way to make up for using Spotify
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    @sillav nitram you need to do what's best for you. It sounds like you're on the right track by giving your mate a clause that if anything turns out to be worth a lot he'll give you more.

I've got rid of some vinyl but still get it now mainly from people I know (Magic City Trio being the latest addition). I've still got around 4-500 LPs, 100 12" and around 800 singles. Realistically I never play most of it and hold on to it for sentimental reasons. All the really good stuff was surgically removed by someone who is no longer a friend when he stayed with us 25 years ago. Bastard. Had most of the Postcard singles, most of the early Creation singles, Smiths, Wedding Present ... losing that lot is one of the reasons I can't easily part with much of the rest.  
    It is  @rananegra and I’m gonna let them go, it’s not as if I have that many compared to others, which has completely astounded me, when did you all start collecting from birth;)

Thanks for all the input everyone 🖖
  • Options
    They’ve gone, so far, as Scott Walker once sang, No Regrets

There's no regrets
    No tears goodbye
    I don't want you back
    We'd only cry again
    Say goodbye again
  • Options

There's no regrets
    No tears goodbye
    I don't want you back
    We'd only cry again
    Say goodbye again
    I Prefer the Midge Ure Version .
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

There's no regrets
    No tears goodbye
    I don't want you back
    We'd only cry again
    Say goodbye again
    I Prefer the Midge Ure Version .
    Can’t beat Scott’s voice IMHO I think Ure even tries to sound like Scott at the opening of his version.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    fadgadget said:
    Why not just buy a 1200/1210?
    Must dig mine out of the shed.
    Got a Technics 1210 MK2 off ebay for £300 when they were going for £600. Was really lucky, had only been used a few times in a recording studio, looked brand new & still had original packaging.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    bet none of you have a copy of this 

the only record i own
    Is that BA 'I was standing on the goal line when the ball got crossed' Robertson in the back row with the sun glasses?
    yep