Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Know Your Birds? - Edit - Not That Kind!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 29
    Will put the others up later, got to pop out now.
  • Options
    Yeas I guess that's why they are so fond of motorways, the M4 and M40 corridors seeming to be big favourites. 
  • Options
    Yup the red kite has made it to deepest Essex too. We also see an occasional buzzard.
  • Options
    The Red Kite's initial persecution to the point of extinction was perversely the result of its very success as an adaptable scavenger.
    Plus the added idiotic evil of the huntin'n'shootin brigade
    I think Pepys references the scourge of so many Kites in and around London.
    They thrived on man's rubbish.  Until of course idiot man decides they are a pest.  Just like feral pigeons in cities and gulls on land fill sites, they're only their cos we leave tons of stuff out on which they are happy to feed.
    A Red Kite is undoubtedly a raptor, a "bird of prey" so is automatically branded a threat by the lame brained and those with a vested interest in exploiting nature for commercial gain.  Red Kites much prefer their food to not be running or flying away, as scavengers they prefer it to be inert, dead ideally.  They're not choosy if that's a wildlife cadaver dead from natural causes or the discarded junk food of some chav.  If they're really hungry then yes they'd probably chase live prey: mice, voles, small birds, chicks in nests.  So it is just about conceivable they'd be tempted by a pheasant (insert name of any other 'game' bird here) nest, if they were hungry enough and the weather was bad enough.  Chances are though that if conditions are that bad the pheasant nests will be failing anyway.
    I see them circling about rooftop height quite frequently but am yet to see one roosting or down on a meal.
    Their recent success and that of the buzzard suggests our countryside is less inhospitable than a decade or two ago.
    Red Kites will continue to spread into suburban and even urban areas if we leave crap out for them to eat
  • Options
    Fair few here in Norfolk now. Stunning birds. 
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Fair few here in Norfolk now. Stunning birds. 
    When they are gliding or hanging in the air with no wingbeats they look majestic.
    Easy to see why the Kites we fly were named after this bird
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Retirement lark, I love it!
  • Options
    Ha ha, didn't realise that one.
  • Options
    Not seen in my garden, but it did come up in my crossword which in turn piqued my interest.

The Cassowary grows to 6 foot, runs at 30 mph, kicks like a mule and can slice you in two with its deadly claws.  The world's most dangerous bird.  Not one to get on the wrong side of.

• Options
    ...The Cassowary grows to 6 foot, runs at 30 mph, kicks like a mule and can slice you in two with its deadly claws.  The world's most dangerous bird.  Not one to get on the wrong side of.

Has Mr Largo taken her on holiday?
  • Options
    Red Kites are regularly seen flying around in the fields and the roads around us in Eynsford. 
  • Options
    Has anyone ever seen a Woodlark…..quite rare I believe.
    They have a beautiful song too.
    Bump.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Red Kites are regularly seen flying around in the fields and the roads around us in Eynsford. 
    Stunning birds and my personal favorite. Quite a few here in Norfolk now. Pleased you are seeing them in Kent as I lived in chislehurst as a kid and Eynsford was a regular Sunday afternoon visit with grandparents when my love of birds began (sadly back in the early 70s it was bird egging that was a hobby 😬)
  • Options
    Albino Mallard duck (I think)in Canary Wharf this morning

• Options
    Stig said:
    I absolutely smashed my monthly observations record.  I think I'm going to like this retirement lark.

I was going to say you should maybe get out more, but thats obviously not the case!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Arthur, sorry but isn't that just a domestic mallard?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Arthur, sorry but isn't that just a domestic mallard?
    Thanks Stig: was hoping someone would correct me if wrong. That individual kept swimming very close to a regular coloured one, so I assumed the two were related. I read after, that a sign of albinism would be light coloured eyes: I don't think this one had, so you are right.