Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Know Your Birds? - Edit - Not That Kind!

12346»

Comments

• Options
    swordfish said:
    Stig said:
    They are definitely spreading out from the city. I've seen them here in Essex recently (though annoyingly not been able to photograph one here yet). You might expect a species that can cover 150 miles in a day might have got rather further. I don't think latitude per se would be the reason that they aren't seen in Kettering. There are sizeable populations in Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle and there have been multiple sightings in Sheffield, Leeds, Nottingham, Derby and even Glasgow. That they are more likely to be seen in cities could be due to a number of reasons. It may be that they are separate populations from different escapes or releases of caged birds. It could be that highly populated areas are a little warmer, that there are easier supplies of food on bird feeders or maybe just that there's more sightings of a similar number of birds because there are more people about to see them. Finally, it's not just an individual species' ability to cope minor temperature changes, it's the ability of anything that is their prey food - it's all interconnected. That said, I'm not sure that Parakeets are particularly fussy eaters, so unlike something like the Netted Carpet Moth, it'd probably survive in a whole range of places.
    Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the clusters in other big cities, the biggest town near me being Northampton but I've yet to see one there either. Interesting. I did once see some playing pitch and putt in Sidcup, well the Parakeet's weren't playing obviously 😉
    I bet they were trying to avoid eagles 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Stig said:
    They are definitely spreading out from the city. I've seen them here in Essex recently (though annoyingly not been able to photograph one here yet). You might expect a species that can cover 150 miles in a day might have got rather further. I don't think latitude per se would be the reason that they aren't seen in Kettering. There are sizeable populations in Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle and there have been multiple sightings in Sheffield, Leeds, Nottingham, Derby and even Glasgow. That they are more likely to be seen in cities could be due to a number of reasons. It may be that they are separate populations from different escapes or releases of caged birds. It could be that highly populated areas are a little warmer, that there are easier supplies of food on bird feeders or maybe just that there's more sightings of a similar number of birds because there are more people about to see them. Finally, it's not just an individual species' ability to cope minor temperature changes, it's the ability of anything that is their prey food - it's all interconnected. That said, I'm not sure that Parakeets are particularly fussy eaters, so unlike something like the Netted Carpet Moth, it'd probably survive in a whole range of places.
    Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the clusters in other big cities, the biggest town near me being Northampton but I've yet to see one there either. Interesting. I did once see some playing pitch and putt in Sidcup, well the Parakeet's weren't playing obviously 😉
    I bet they were trying to avoid eagles 
    Don't blame them
    The stripy Palace wankers 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    GANNETS!!! - not a native species to Kettering! Taken at Bempton Cliffs RSPB by me last week whilst on holiday near Bridlington.

I've very little by way of gear, and absolutely no idea. We saw Puffins too and all sorts of other sea birds.

Off to Bempton on Friday. Seabird central.
  • Options
    Nice pair of wrens nesting in our wisteria, little buggers are a bit quick for me but I'll try to snap them when they settle down a bit.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Don't have Ringed Necked Parakeet's in Kettering. Don't know why. It's not that cold.  Native to Sidcup aren't they? 
    Plenty in the Orpington area. 
    They fly over my house every day.
    I don't get why they haven't populated areas other than the South East. I used to live in Orpington, well more than half a lifetime ago (30+years) Never had them then! I can only believe they're either lazy or it's the climate that's stopped them spreading north, but I can't believe they'd be that sensitive to minor temperature differences.
    There was a large colony roosting in the Lombardy poplar trees along the banks of the River Ravensbourne  in Beckenham Place Park .This was in the early 60’s, I assume that colony are still there?
    Also from the early 70’s, a large colony (once again roosting in Lombardy poplar trees) in Hither Green Cemetery along side Verdant Lane. One again I don’t know if they are still there?
    They are certainly attracted to roosting in Lombardy poplar trees.
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 11
    Stig said:

Charming bird in many ways but can also be a very spiteful little bugger when protecting their patch.