Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New striker by Saturday, says Pards

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
www.kentonline.co.uk/charlton
[cite]Addicks closing in on striker deal .... by Tony Hudd[/cite]

CHARLTON are set to complete the signing of a striker within the next 48 hours with the player expected to make his debut in Saturday's friendly at home to Portuguese club Sporting Braga.

Manager Alan Pardew confirmed the club were in negotiations with a player and disclosed: "We're close on a striker and hopefully we'll do something in the next 48 hours."

He would not be drawn on the identity of the player, though the Addicks have been strongly linked with former England and Manchester United striker Andrew Cole.

Cole, 36 in October, is in dispute with Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp after being excluded from the club's trip to Hong Kong.

Redknapp is keen on Charlton midfielder Amdy Faye and the Addicks are willing to use him as a makeweight in any deal, though Cole's wages of £30,000 a week may prove prohibitive.

Charlton's need to sharpen their attack has been increased by an ankle injury to Luke Varney which will keep him out for the start of the league season.

"Luke's injury has become a bit of an issue for us because it's left us short of strikers, which is not ideal at this stage," Pardew added.

Pardew also confirmed that he was in the market for a central midfielder with West Ham's Hayden Mullins fitting the bill for the holding role the manager favours.
Not keen on getting in Andrew Cole personally ... but if Faye moves in the other way, wey hey.

Comments

• Options
    agreed i'd rather we got someone younger, but Faye moving out would turn this into a good deal
  • Options
    Rather keep Faye than bring in Cole. Another Pompey failure.
  • Options
    it will be Cole.
  • Options
    Bung harry whatever it takes, personally I'd let Faye go on a free.
  • Options
    pards says he wants some experience in, got to be cole on reduced wages.
  • Options
    Could be a clever signing but I just pray he doesn't turn out to be a Hasslewaink!!
  • Options
    Got to be Cole

who else ? Killer
  • Options
    trouble is, i suspect his reduced wages will still be huge in comparison.

Would rather him than Fowler though.
  • Options
    Rhian Davis ?
  • Options
    cs87 - Cole or Todorov?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apaprently Man U are looking to offload Louis Saha...oh dear, I'm forgetting what division we're in again. Not convinced at all by Cole - experience, yes; over the hill, yes; overpaid, yes.
  • Options
    at least he's not a thug though Weegie.

no pleasing you is there.... ;-)
  • Options
    can't see how this Cole/Faye swap would work. We'd want a fee for Faye whereas I doubt Pompey could expect a fee for a 36 yr old.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]at least he's not a thug though Weegie.

no pleasing you is there.... ;-)

You're right, WSS, I am very difficult to please. I change my mind sometimes too - a women's prerogative, I believe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]can't see how this Cole/Faye swap would work. We'd want a fee for Faye whereas I doubt Pompey could expect a fee for a 36 yr old.

That's what I thought but let's wait and see. Tony Hudd is normally on the money with these things
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]cs87 - Cole or Todorov?

Kluivert ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]can't see how this Cole/Faye swap would work. We'd want a fee for Faye whereas I doubt Pompey could expect a fee for a 36 yr old.[/quote]

I think it's more like the fact that it is us that are desperate to pay someone, anyone to take Faye off our hands.......
  • Options
    I reckon we will be surprised and it'll be McLeod. Not played recently for MK Dons, not gone elsewhere. Rather him than Cole.
  • Options
    I think Cole might be a good signing. Can't see him physically letting himself go like Hasselbank did. Also JFH was considered 2nd behind Bent at the start of the season where as I think Cole wouldn't be an automatic starter but come in for certain games off the bench. Still I thought JFH was a decent shout????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I reckon we will be surprised and it'll be McLeod. Not played recently for MK Dons, not gone elsewhere. Rather him than Cole.

McLeod played Wednesday night against Watford. Not sure about Cole but got to be better than JFH. If we'd signed Cole after PDC had left, rather than after JFH left, then people would be much more optimistic about Cole signing, but now some fans are worried that we could have another fat, useless tosser on our hands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For every JFH there is a Di Canio or Mark Bright. So it will be McCloud then?

Damn you Varney! Answer my text message!
  • Options
    Can't understand the animosity towards Cole, great goalscorer, always looked after himself and would score a bundle in this league. Only question mark would have to be whether or not he'd be motivated enough at this level.
  • Options
    Cole is a goal scorer, that is his motivation. If his salary demands are reasonable, or performance related, i think he would be a big asset for the coming season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Cole is a goal scorer, that is his motivation. If his salary demands are reasonable, or performance related, i think he would be a big asset for the coming season.

Are you Pards spin doctor? ;-)
  • Options
    I think Cole has always handled himself well. Could be an asset, it's all about if he wants it bad enough.
  • Options
    its not cole he's after, its a postman...fact...pards has got his ideal squad, all he needs now is someone to deliver his letters when the post office strike is on...
  • Options
    cole would be a blinding signing FACT.

He still scored a few goals last season
  • Options
    Cole always needed at least ten attempts at goal to score one in his prime.

Now he'll need twenty!!!!!

Oh please no, Andy Cole in Charlton shirt.................nearly as bad as that tw@t reject from the Spanners.

I'll gladly eat my hat if turns out to be anything other than a complete waste of football boots.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Cole always needed at least ten attempts at goal to score one in his prime.

Now he'll need twenty!!!!!

Oh please no, Andy Cole in Charlton shirt.................nearly as bad as that tw@t reject from the Spanners.

I'll gladly eat my hat if turns out to be anything other than a complete waste of football boots.

agreed apart from the spanners bit!
  • Options
    cut our losses and get rid of all the overpaid undertalented for nowt! I would... I wonder can one write if off against tax, but then I think we would have to be making profit to do that.