Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ChatGPT

Comments

• Options
    Some of the picture generating AI has a long way to go.. 
    I asked Night Cafe to generate 'A portrate of a 63 year old man playing football at Wembley'
    This was the result.... like the extra arm and the strange finger arrangement! 

I hope the algorithm for Night Cafe doesn't scrape Charlton Life for images to add to its training set!
  • Options
    Some of the picture generating AI has a long way to go.. 
    I asked Night Cafe to generate 'A portrate of a 63 year old man playing football at Wembley'
    This was the result.... like the extra arm and the strange finger arrangement! 

And you’re sure you didn’t mention Norwich anywhere?
  • Options
    I put in the same prompt and got this one 
  • Options
    Is it me or do both those men look more like 73?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I note there is a new expression re AI on its march towards AGI.  (Artificial General Intelligence - defined as an autonomous system that surpasses human capabilities in the majority of economically valuable tasks).  

Q-Star appertains to the mathematics of AI - it would be the gamechanger if/when cracked.

https://dataconomy.com/2023/11/23/can-q-star-ai-agi-openai-breakthrough/ 
  • Options
    I note there is a new expression re AI on its march towards AGI.  (Artificial General Intelligence - defined as an autonomous system that surpasses human capabilities in the majority of economically valuable tasks).  

Q-Star appertains to the mathematics of AI - it would be the gamechanger if/when cracked.

There were rumours last week that Sam Altman and team had cracked AGI but that seems a little far fetched for now.  

As someone who is responsible for convincing others in their workplace to use AI for day to day tasks, we are still very early doors in terms of adoption. The next 18 months are going go be game changing in terms of productivity for any job that uses a computer for a large proportion of their day.  

It will have the same effect the internet had late 90s / early 00s. 
  • Options
    BalladMan said:

There were rumours last week that Sam Altman and team had cracked AGI but that seems a little far fetched for now.  

As someone who is responsible for convincing others in their workplace to use AI for day to day tasks, we are still very early doors in terms of adoption. The next 18 months are going go be game changing in terms of productivity for any job that uses a computer for a large proportion of their day.  

It will have the same effect the internet had late 90s / early 00s. 
    Using ChatGPT more or less on a daily basis now, amazing tool 
  • Options
    For what?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?
    Anything you want an answer to. 
    I asked for the full explanation to the Israel/Arab conflict for example. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?
    how do you know the answer was correct ?
    Well yes, but how do you know encyclopedias, google or anything you read is correct? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?
    Well yes, but how do you know encyclopedias, google or anything you read is correct? 
    By verifying your source data.

People at work bang on about AI/GPT constantly but have still yet to have an answer for a beneficial use for it other than "it writes stuff for me". 

I was at a conference recently and one of the speakers said we should avoid AI from becoming the new app. As in, everyone asked for an app but without have a fully thought out plan for what they want the app to do or achieve, just that everyone else has an app so I want one too!  To get full benefit from using AI or GPT you need to know exactly how you'll use it and have an idea of what results you'd expect to get. 

And there is also the issue of the privacy of the data and information that you're inputting into the models.
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?

People at work bang on about AI/GPT constantly but have still yet to have an answer for a beneficial use for it other than "it writes stuff for me". 

I was at a conference recently and one of the speakers said we should avoid AI from becoming the new app. As in, everyone asked for an app but without have a fully thought out plan for what they want the app to do or achieve, just that everyone else has an app so I want one too!  To get full benefit from using AI or GPT you need to know exactly how you'll use it and have an idea of what results you'd expect to get. 

And there is also the issue of the privacy of the data and information that you're inputting into the models.
    1. **Content Creation Assistance**: ChatGPT helps users generate high-quality written content efficiently, saving time and increasing productivity by offering well-structured information.

2. **Language Learning Support**: Users can practice and improve their language skills by engaging in conversations, receiving feedback, and refining their proficiency with a language.

3. **Coding Help and Programming Support**: ChatGPT aids developers by offering code snippets, debugging assistance, and explanations, contributing to faster problem-solving in programming tasks.

4. **Idea Generation**: Users leverage ChatGPT to brainstorm and generate creative ideas, enhancing innovation and providing a diverse range of perspectives.

5. **Educational Tool for Students**: Students benefit from ChatGPT as an educational resource, obtaining explanations, clarifications, and additional information on various subjects, promoting a deeper understanding of concepts.

6. **Writing Enhancement**: ChatGPT assists in refining writing skills by providing suggestions for improving grammar, style, and overall composition, resulting in more polished and effective written communication.

7. **Therapeutic Conversations**: ChatGPT serves as a supportive conversational partner, offering an outlet for users to express thoughts and feelings, potentially providing emotional well-being benefits.

8. **Research Assistance**: Users can use ChatGPT to gather preliminary information, explore topics, and identify key concepts, streamlining the initial stages of research.

9. **Task Automation Guidance**: ChatGPT aids users in understanding and implementing automation scripts, contributing to increased efficiency in performing repetitive tasks.

10. **Accessible Information Retrieval**: Users benefit from ChatGPT's ability to provide quick and concise information on a wide range of topics, acting as a convenient and accessible knowledge repository. 

(Obviously, this is from ChatGPT) 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Wilma said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?

With all due respect to that speaker, that just sounds like generic consultancy guff that you could say about anything!

I'm a freelance copywriter / creative director and GPT means I can do my work at least 3x faster. Everyone I know in advertising is using it. 

Unfortunately that means everyone is 3x as efficient and there's a lot less freelance going round these days... 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?
    1.  Advanced Data Analyser (and Excel copilot) have the capacity to automate tasks using natural language that you would need to be fairly techie to write calculations before
    2. Conversion of a legal document from French (or other language) to English.  Verification by a lawyer suggests 99% accuracy
    3.  Creation of images for a website, including analysis of if these images for people with additional needs (e.g. colour blindness, all varieties
    4. Creation of chatbot on specified departmental topics (such as AML) 
  • Options
    Been an absolute game changer for me, absolutely love it. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    If it was marketed as a writing aid and text aggregator, I would not be so dismissive of ChatGPT.

But for question/answer, it is difficult to trust it: 

Me: When did Ronaldo get sent off when playing against Wayne Rooney

ChatGPT: Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off in the 2006 FIFA World Cup quarter-final match between England and Portugal on July 1, 2006. In that game, Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney, who were Manchester United teammates at the time, had a controversial incident. Rooney was shown a red card for a foul, and Ronaldo's involvement in appealing for the decision led to some tensions. Portugal won the match in a penalty shootout after a 0-0 draw, with Ronaldo converting one of the penalties.

As we know, only Rooney was sent off.

ChatGPT must have noticed the two names together in Wikipedia or elsewhere on the web, with a red card mentioned, and inferred (helped by the way I phrased the question admittedly) that Ronaldo also got one.
  • Options
    If it was marketed as a writing aid and text aggregator, I would not be so dismissive of ChatGPT.

But for question/answer, it is difficult to trust it: 

Me: When did Ronaldo get sent off when playing against Wayne Rooney

ChatGPT: Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off in the 2006 FIFA World Cup quarter-final match between England and Portugal on July 1, 2006. In that game, Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney, who were Manchester United teammates at the time, had a controversial incident. Rooney was shown a red card for a foul, and Ronaldo's involvement in appealing for the decision led to some tensions. Portugal won the match in a penalty shootout after a 0-0 draw, with Ronaldo converting one of the penalties.

As we know, only Rooney was sent off.

ChatGPT must have noticed the two names together in Wikipedia or elsewhere on the web, with a red card mentioned, and inferred (helped by the way I phrased the question admittedly) that Ronaldo also got one.
    Calculators, when they were first brought out, were about the same size and weight as housebricks.  They did a really good job, very, very well.  That is, performing complex mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.  But, despite being roughly the same size and weight as housebricks, you couldn't bash two together, either side of a dog's bollocks in order to castrate it.  That was a specific task that was very much in the oeuvre of a housebrick, but one for which a calculator wasn't the ideal tool.   

If you want to use the internet to find out when or whether Ronaldo was sent off playing against Wayne Rooney, ChatGPT isn't the right tool.  You're far better off using Google.  That doesn't mean ChatGPT is a bad tool, in the same way that a calculator's deficiency in orchiectomy makes a calculator a bad tool.  

ChatGPT is spectacularly good at important things (in the same way a calculator is proficient at calculating) and very good at some stupid things (in the same way you can type 58008 into a calculator so it reads BOOBS upside down).  For other tasks, use other things.  

(Extra internet points for anyone who didn't just look up 'orchiectomy')
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Wilma said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?

With all due respect to that speaker, that just sounds like generic consultancy guff that you could say about anything!

I'm a freelance copywriter / creative director and GPT means I can do my work at least 3x faster. Everyone I know in advertising is using it. 

Unfortunately that means everyone is 3x as efficient and there's a lot less freelance going round these days... 
    But doesn't this mean you personally are adding less to the process?

This is an example of where it will change jobs / lead to some redundancy because 'it' can do it for the client.

Not saying that is wrong - just inevitable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    As with any significant technological change (Excel in the 80s, internet in the 90s) jobs will be displaced, but new ones will be created. We are a resilient species and find ways to adapt.  Despite what many think will be death knell for lower skilled workers, technology often has the ability to close the gap on those less skilled and the 'experts', making upward mobility available for those less fortunate in life.  

I found this article on ft.com particularly interesting: https://www.ft.com/content/74c63f77-f543-4be0-9cd9-2f5f40ba6f17

For me, it is the 'experts' who horde knowledge for their own preservation that should fear the advent of AI more than those willing to adapt and use the new technologies. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?
    Research, analysis, training seminar outlines, contents for guidance papers … and loads more 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?
    Research, analysis, training seminar outlines, contents for guidance papers … and loads more 
    So basically the theme I am getting is people are using it to take shortcuts in their jobs. 

Seems insane to me and a path to A.I replacing those jobs. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    stonemuse said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?
    So basically the theme I am getting is people are using it to take shortcuts in their jobs. 

Seems insane to me and a path to A.I replacing those jobs. 

King Canute and the Tide - Discovering Authenticity
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Adapting here seems to be replacing yourselves?!

I just don't think for what I do that ChatGPT etc is there yet. 
  • Options
    As explained above, AI can help elevate you within an organisation without years of hard work neccesary to learn a skill (such as programming). It’s now, more than ever, about creative thinking and the idea rather than the execution (which AI tools will do for you).  

Of course, this is not for all jobs. If you work in construction, ChatGPT is not for you.  
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    BalladMan said:
    As explained above, AI can help elevate you within an organisation without years of hard work neccesary to learn a skill (such as programming). It’s now, more than ever, about creative thinking and the idea rather than the execution (which AI tools will do for you).  

Of course, this is not for all jobs. If you work in construction, ChatGPT is not for you.  
    Correct - and if you want someone to come around to your house to plaster the kitchen then that will invariably be a human being for a very long time. But major construction will be designed, specified and constructed by machines - likely/hopefully in my lifetime (and I'm 66!) but certainly in my childrens' lifetime.

If one accepts that the human brain is just a super (duper!) computer with neural networks connected using electro/chemical reactions at the synapses then one day in the not too distant future AGI will not only replicate that but will surpass the human brain's power. It will do all the creative stuff as well that we consider unique to human beings and will learn to understand and replicate intuition, creativity , learning and manual dexterity that we now consider just the realm of humans.

Anyone who sees it any differently is in for a big shock - and it can't be held back.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    For what?
    ChatGPT literally makes shit up. For professional purposes I asked it for a list of TV competition shows highlighting excellence in retail. Some of the answers looked suspicious. i challenged it one by one, and in each case it backed down and apologised for a “mistake”. I have the transcript, it’s hilarious but too long for a post here. 

Have you not noticed the caveat (warning) it now posts tot he effect that it may make mistakes (or make shit up) ? 
    You mean like a human (gulp)