Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is your favorite Charlton club captain, that you have seen play and why?

Comments

• Options
    Met his family, lovely people, only when his daughter said when we moved to Liverpool once he'd got the manager's job there put in perspective what he achieved in the game. Did quite like Kins from day 1 though. 
  • Options
    Benny Fenton because I don’t remember anyone else leading out the Addicks in those far-off days.
  • Options
    Kinsella of course and way back, Graham Moore and Billy Bonds, the latter alas in many games for West Ham 
  • Options
    The two stand outs are Shirtliff and Kinsella. The rest don’t come close to them two. 
  • Options
    Captain Peacock 
  • Options
    Shirtliff 
    100%
  • Options
    Shirts
  • Options
    Webbo in my time by a country mile. Hugely respected by those around/playing for him, proper old school centre half and leader on the pitch and in the dressing room. He marshalled the team through some tough off field times, didn't Darren Pitcher ask that he carry/lead his coffin procession, think that's quite telling.

Jackson for me comes second ahead of Kinsella, no doubt kinsella was a great captain and player in our most successful onfield period, however, again like Webbo I think Jackson wins it by a small margin, probably had one of the hardest jobs as a captain through these early RD years. Massively came through with his head held high.
  • Options
    Based on the above my choice is hardly controversial.

Kins by a country mile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In this order

Shirtliff
    Kins
    Webbo

And a mention for Aizlewood, once he got his feet under table, he was excellent
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Johnnie Jackson. 

Under that Roland era he and Solly were ever presents in a team constantly being mucked about by a revolving door of awful managers and random network players. He felt like the real heart of Charlton at that time and the true connection between the fans and the team.

It’s also an incredible story. He came in as a back up left back at the age of about 28, and somehow went on to be one of the top goalscorers we’ve had in the last 20-25 years. 

Top tier Charlton legend. 
  • Options
    Matt Holland. Captain in the best Charlton team I’ve ever seen.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    aliwibble said:
    @jimmymelrose Hope you don't mind, but I've edited your post to put the picture the right way up. (I'm also finding it slightly weird how similar your handwriting was to mine at that age, and wondering if it's just an artifact of how writing was taught when we were kids.)
    But it's upside down - have I missed a joke?
    Nope, definitely the right way up in the original post, but I haven't bothered to correct the posts quoting it, so it's still upside down in those. Perhaps the page needs a refresh?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Stig said:
    aliwibble said:
    @jimmymelrose Hope you don't mind, but I've edited your post to put the picture the right way up. (I'm also finding it slightly weird how similar your handwriting was to mine at that age, and wondering if it's just an artifact of how writing was taught when we were kids.)
    But it's upside down - have I missed a joke?
    Nope, definitely the right way up in the original post, but I haven't bothered to correct the posts quoting it, so it's still upside down in those. Perhaps the page needs a refresh?
    Worst Charlton player, Robert Lee that wasn't seen often 👍
  • Options
    Who have been captains since Kins?
  • Options
    Club captains, not actually that many, I don't think:

Holland
    Dailey
    Jackson 
    Solly 
    Pearce
    Stockley 
    Dobson

Maybe missed 1 or 2.

Probably close to a 100 players have worn the armband at some point though.
  • Options
    Only for the very veteran lifers - but was anyone more unpleasant, more determined, more protective, more argumentative, than Benny Fenton the unrivalled skipper in the 50s ?
  • Options
    Kinsella without doubt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kinsella is my favourite Charlton captain. Jackson is my favourite Charlton player who was also captain. 
  • Options
    Kins easily but did Keith Jones ever captain us? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Holland
    Dailey
    Jackson 
    Solly 
    Pearce
    Stockley 
    Dobson

Maybe missed 1 or 2.

Alou Diarra? 
  • Options
    Only for the very veteran lifers - but was anyone more unpleasant, more determined, more protective, more argumentative, than Benny Fenton the unrivalled skipper in the 50s ?
    Not saying you’re wrong, but what is the basis for this?
  • Options
    Wasn't a Captain but reminds me of a player that I always admired through the Premier days was Graham Stuart. I would love that type of player now. 
  • Options
    Benny Fenton had guile , had the full repotiore of mean / petty fouls , he was not averse to cheating , he engaged referees in constant talk about every decision......and from the middle of the field he could play a bit - more pragmatic than creative. Supporters identified with his approach , and he was very popular. Came from a distinguished football family ( Millwall/ West Ham ) Saw him play many times. Always an entertainment once you worked out what to look form
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Holland
    Dailey
    Jackson 
    Solly 
    Pearce
    Stockley 
    Dobson

Maybe missed 1 or 2.

Alou Diarra? 
    Jackson was club captain at the time wasn't he?  
  • Options
    Simon Webster, the players we had at that time wasn’t the best but he made sure he got 100% out of them.
  • Options
    Kins for me. 
    For consistent leadership and performance at the highest level. 

I understand why some say Shirtliff but I preferred Steve Thompson from that era and his replacement Simon Webster. 
  • Options
    Jacko he fronted the whole club at times when both manager and owner was nowhere. That’s not his job but a testament to the man. I had a lot time for Webster as well.