Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is your favorite Charlton club captain, that you have seen play and why?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Benny Fenton had guile , had the full repotiore of mean / petty fouls , he was not averse to cheating , he engaged referees in constant talk about every decision......and from the middle of the field he could play a bit - more pragmatic than creative. Supporters identified with his approach , and he was very popular. Came from a distinguished football family ( Millwall/ West Ham ) Saw him play many times. Always an entertainment once you worked out what to look form
    Interesting thanks.  I was too young to be looking for those sorts of things but it’s interesting to know about these things now.
  • Options
    Matt Holland for me given that 7th place finish in the Premier League.
  • Options
    Mark Kinsella for me - played with heart and head ; led us during a period we played at a high level : epitomised everything I love about the club . 

He was eventually forced out of the position by Scotty Parker who himself was a great player 
  • Options
    This was a great game, capped off by a winner from Kinsella.

I remember the chant to the Macerena...

When he gets the ball he's going to score Mark Kinsella, when he gets the ball he's going to score Mark Kinsella, when he gets the ball he's going to score Mark Kinsella, hey Mark Kinsella...

I'm sure it was @BDL that was leading that one :)

Live events Norwich City vs Charlton Athletic - Championship 1997 (besoccer.com)
  • Options
    Shirtliff .. Kinsella led by example think we are badly missing a leader as captain now …
  • Options
    Shirtliff .. Kinsella led by example think we are badly missing a leader as captain now …
    If it wasn’t for our current captain George Dobson then I dread to think where the team would be.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    If it wasn’t for our current captain George Dobson then I dread to think where the team would be.
    Probably anywhere from 16th to 20th.

Not had enough time in the role yet to judge i don't think.
  • Options
    Only for the very veteran lifers - but was anyone more unpleasant, more determined, more protective, more argumentative, than Benny Fenton the unrivalled skipper in the 50s ?

And of course I Saw Leary Play. But I think my favourite was Peter Shirtliff.

• Options
    Mike Bailey  -  True Warrior, would run through bricks walls  (not literally) ...
    Have to agree. My time was limited to period 54 to 63. He was tough as nails. Went on to be one of Wolves best players and captain. Then he got us up from third to second div as manager.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Simon Webster, the players we had at that time wasn’t the best but he made sure he got 100% out of them.
    Yes, one skipper Webbo as the song used to go. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good question.

Agree with Holland , Kinsella , Shirtliff and Webster It's a shame that Holland and Kinsella only played together in the Green of Ireland and not the red of Charlton.

Jackson clearly deserves quoting as does Dobbo although in George's case it is for his potential.

Although before my Time .Don Welsh and Benny Fenton from our first top tier teams are worth quoting.

Others who haven't been mentioned who did well are David Young who as a new signing skippered us to promotion in 1974/75 and Dick Tydeman who was Mike Bailey's captain in 1980/81 and turned around an awful team into promotion winners.

Mark Aizlewood also deserves another comment. He led the club to promotion despite the departure from the Valley.

• Options
    Mark Kinsella for me, followed closely by Johnnie Jackson. However, I must confess to having a bit of a soft spot for Dick Tydeman - I have no idea why, but he always struck me as a real leader on the pitch.
  • Options
    Kinsella
    Led by example, was genuinely top division quality and we even touched Villa for about a million when Mark's knees had gone!
  • Options
    Kinsella. Sadly it was only those at Charlton who really appreciated how consistently excellent he was. Could do it all and an absolute inspiration every game. He must be a contender for most underrated players in the country in the late 90s.
  • Options
    As a relative young un it's between Kinsella and Jackson. I suppose if I was choosing the best player/captain it would be Kinsella but if i had to choose my personal favourite then it's Jackson, maybe just through recency bias 
  • Options
    Tough to call between Kinsella and Shirtliff. Kins was that type of all action captain you just loved in your side. Shirtliff will always be a legend for the playoff final goals. Plus the waist high scissor kick on Matt Jackson and knee on Ian Baird. 
  • Options
    This was a great game, capped off by a winner from Kinsella.

I remember the chant to the Macerena...

When he gets the ball he's going to score Mark Kinsella, when he gets the ball he's going to score Mark Kinsella, when he gets the ball he's going to score Mark Kinsella, hey Mark Kinsella...

I'm sure it was @BDL that was leading that one :)

Live events Norwich City vs Charlton Athletic - Championship 1997 (besoccer.com)

..and failed miserably!

Kins and Jacko would be my two favourites, both led from the front, knew what it meant to wear our shirt and give everything for it. Shirtliff would be up there for me as well.
  • Options
    Kinsella.Honourable mentions to Shirtliff and Jacko. 
    Yep, same for me.
  • Options
    Kins definitely.
    And now I live in Ireland I can pronounce it properly 😜