Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

OMG! MILLWALL MIGHT GET PROMOTED - but not in 2023 :)

Comments

• Options
    Their support must be feeling down but with the budget they had to work with & to finish 45 mins away from a playoff place
    Once the dust settles they will definitely feel a sense of pride of what they achieved I know I would if that was us 

• Options
    Thing for Millwall now is do they carry on building slowly like they have been but run the risk of stagnating or going backwards or take a gamble on spending a bit more to go for promotion. The latter could cause big problems if it went awry. Which would be terrible.
    My honest assessment is that they work very hard and compete for everything and break quickly but the actual lack of ability in the side makes it harder to make forward steps beyond where they are now. 
    Yet they still got within a whisker of making the playoffs in a very competitive division. They’ve been slowly building and improving season on season. If they add a couple of decent signings like the Dutch bloke last summer, which is the logical thing to do then they can perhaps at least reproduce this season or better. For clubs without pots of cash, it’s the way to do it. A slow build. It’s what Charlton did under Curbs. It won’t be easy. it never is, but they are in with a shout. They’re doing exactly what we should have been doing albeit in a division lower. Instead we’re rudderless and doing the same inadequate building every season. 
    From a betting perspective Millwall are a very interesting team to keep an eye out for. From a pure data point of view Millwall are terrible; lack of goals from open play etc. It doesn’t take a lot for teams like that to quickly drop down the table. 

Personally think that was their big shot last season. Leeds, Leicester and Southampton will make division stronger. Plus, Watford, Norwich, WBA & Swansea are always fancied to push on. 

Early days i know but if those are the 3 that go down, i'd definitely back Leeds and Southampton to return immediately.

Leicester will be hard to gauge as you'd imagine a lot of their team will leave. I can't see Maddison, Tielemans, Barnes, Castagne and Ndidi sticking around in the championship. Pereira and Iheanacho would probably have clubs interested as well. 
  • Options
    Thing for Millwall now is do they carry on building slowly like they have been but run the risk of stagnating or going backwards or take a gamble on spending a bit more to go for promotion. The latter could cause big problems if it went awry. Which would be terrible.
    My honest assessment is that they work very hard and compete for everything and break quickly but the actual lack of ability in the side makes it harder to make forward steps beyond where they are now. 
    Yet they still got within a whisker of making the playoffs in a very competitive division. They’ve been slowly building and improving season on season. If they add a couple of decent signings like the Dutch bloke last summer, which is the logical thing to do then they can perhaps at least reproduce this season or better. For clubs without pots of cash, it’s the way to do it. A slow build. It’s what Charlton did under Curbs. It won’t be easy. it never is, but they are in with a shout. They’re doing exactly what we should have been doing albeit in a division lower. Instead we’re rudderless and doing the same inadequate building every season. 
    Disappointed that Millwall aren't going to be in the Prem next season, if only to see how far the slow-build approach can go in the 2020s.
    Plenty of lessons for Charlton to learn from, if our owner(s) can be bothered. 
  • Options
    Disappointed that Millwall aren't going to be in the Prem next season, if only to see how far the slow-build approach can go in the 2020s.
    Millwall are a fairly well run club, they have built slowly like you say, they have a competitive squad which is currently in no danger of going down, they’re not a big club and are mixing it with clubs superior to them and fair play.

But hopefully it all comes tumbling down and they end up in the national league, I assume that’s what you meant and it’s one massive typo?
  • Options
    Last time Millwall in top division finished 
    Bottom.     

No lessons to be learned from that club.

waiting for the ?
  • Options
    Millwall are a fairly well run club, they have built slowly like you say, they have a competitive squad which is currently in no danger of going down, they’re not a big club and are mixing it with clubs superior to them and fair play.

But hopefully it all comes tumbling down and they end up in the national league, I assume that’s what you meant and it’s one massive typo?
    Are they well run?
    They lost £14m this season, the only difference between us & them, is the owner is happy to put money in. 
  • Options
    And we were second bottom.
  • Options

Are they well run?
    They lost £14m this season, the only difference between us & them, is the owner is happy to put money in. 
    As a business no, as a football club I’d say so.

Most clubs are making losses, they’re punching above their weight currently and the owner shows no sign of departing, so in comparison I’d say fairly well run is a fair assessment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wellred said:
    Their support must be feeling down but with the budget they had to work with & to finish 45 mins away from a playoff place
    Once the dust settles they will definitely feel a sense of pride of what they achieved I know I would if that was us 

Some may.
    Many are so proud they are calling for Rowett to be sacked.
  • Options
    Wellred said:

Some may.

Gut reaction for some just now but they will know deep down what a decent job he has & is doing for them but you will always get a few who can't see the woods for the tree's
    & If they had to suffer what we have they would realize how lucky they are to have him & a owner who believes & backs him 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:

Some may.

Gut reaction for some just now but they will know deep down what a decent job he has & is doing for them but you will always get a few who can't see the woods for the tree's
    & If they had to suffer what we have they would realize how lucky they are to have him & a owner who believes & backs him 
    They wanted him in Oct, when things weren’t going so good. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:

Some may.

They wanted him in Oct, when things weren’t going so good. 
    Shows how wrong they was he has built them up bit by bit as he hasn't the budget to spend out like some other clubs in that league has done & it looks like he is staying to try & finish the job & most back him
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    And we were second bottom.
    Waiting for it and got it thank you.

Was waiting for the original man Rick to come back with it.
    But doubt he would have known that?

• Options
    I think we can learn more from Luton and Sunderland.
  • Options
    I think we can learn more from Luton and Sunderland.
    At this point I think there aren’t many we can’t learn from.
  • Options
    Box almost done, it's been a long week since Monday. 
  • Options
    lindos480 said:
    Seeing that photo of the coach reminds me of the time I had to travel back from Bournemouth minus a window on a cold November day. Can't remember what the score was or what we did to upset them but it must have been pretty bad to set off Bournemouth fans!!
    You kicked over their sandcastles didn't you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Such a shame the millwall boys have packed away for summer and aren’t discussing their chances for next season with us atm - may have been different if they’d won - never mind 
  • Options
    This thread is cheering me up at the moment, long may it continue.

It has been discussed at length and many times here, there and every fucking where, but Millwall are part of the myth that arose around football hooliganism, proliferated in the 70's and 80's and which endures to this day. It was much publicised, televised in a much more restricted media and caught on.

We as clubs share the same demographics to a large extent, but they historically have the draw of sections of youth (or not so youthful as the years roll on...) that naturally go looking for that sort of "passtime".  Not to say that will not change, we have our share of ill educated, dragged up, no concience entitled yoof, like every football club in these Isles.

Sort of warms the cockles of my heart that that's where that sort  still go, including members of my extended family btw.  That grubby herbert in the playground all those years ago we all knew growing up in SE London, who wanted the thrill and kudos by association with a "firm", to exorcise his inadequaces is a part of our urban culture.  We are losing too much of that.

Let em crack on,  let em all go darn ta the Den.

Also.  Fuck em!

Professor Soapy T W Jones, Sociology BA(Hons)
    Actually it goes back long before the 70's.  They were smashing up coaches in the 60's and the old Den was an inhospitable place in the 50's.  I would imagine if you could go back before then it was not a nice place to visit for opposing fans.  Unfortunately the majority of well behaved Millwall fans get tarnished by the minority.

It has been a reflection on society in inner SE London not just the silly playground thing but again its always a minority not the majority.    
  • Options
    Not saying it's right by any means smashing the window but it was a bit stupid winding them up & giving wanker signs just asking for trouble 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Such a shame the millwall boys have packed away for summer and aren’t discussing their chances for next season with us atm - may have been different if they’d won - never mind 
    You okay, hun? Do you need a cuddle or something?

Why would you want to discuss our chances for next season less than a week after the final game of our season? That's a bit odd, mate.
  • Options
    I certainly remember going to the old den in the early / mid sixties and there were posters on all the entrances and exits warning that the ground would face closure if there was any trouble. Wasn’t a nice place to visit and still isn’t. 
  • Options
    I certainly remember going to the old den in the early / mid sixties and there were posters on all the entrances and exits warning that the ground would face closure if there was any trouble. Wasn’t a nice place to visit and still isn’t. 

They don't see us as a threat in the way they see West Ham or Leeds so they don't bother come looking for us on route or after
    Even though most of our lot arrive by train & go directly to the away end it's never a problem going there these days for us even walking in from Surrey docks or OKR 
  • Options
    I got spat at coming out of The New Den a few years back.
  • Options
    I got spat at coming out of The New Den a few years back.

To be honest the only crap I have seen there is some our lot acting like prats but your always get the odd one or two but they don't come after us like they would at the old Den where they just wanted to give it to anyone who wasn't Millwall 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!