Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Gallen

2»

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Thought SG was just the negotiations man now Team Sangaard were in charge 
    He did confirm that in the interview late last year. Martin Sandgaard and other scouts identify the players, Steve Gallen then talks to them about contracts and terms. And if all agree it goes before Thomas to write out the cheque 
    That may be the basic structure but I doubt his role is that limited. Gallen said he'd been to see Lavelle numerous times before signing him. 
    If you go back and read all the transfer window reviews Gallen has done he, in the most part, took "credit" for them.  Including as you say watching Lavelle.

But then if you over lay that with what Thomas says, like Martin rediscovered Fraser etc

Then the fact Gallen is almost always, until recently, at all our games, so how did he scout anyone.

None of what any of them say either matches what each other say, what actually happens or the laws of physics.

I am sure Gallen is a nice guy and I know everyone needs to put food on the table but his willingness to work for Thomas and Roland and with Tommy D and Martin leaves a lot of questions.  Mainly could he get another job if he wanted?
  • Options
    For a club that’s skint having a senior management role that solely negotiates transfers seems a bit of a waste of resources to me. So he doesn’t scout he just negotiates. Righto.
  • Options
    For a club that’s skint having a senior management role that solely negotiates transfers seems a bit of a waste of resources to me. So he doesn’t scout he just negotiates. Righto.
    I don't think it would be unusual for Gallen (or someone in his role) to manage a small team of scouts and then handle the overall negotiations. Whilst he is no doubt on a decent wage, even that wouldn't make a major difference to a third tier club. It's having both him and Martin which doesn't make sense. 
  • Options
    Feels like there's too many involved in transfer dealings that potentially makes everything a bit muddled. January having Scott,Gallen, Martin Sandgaard and I assume Holden all involved just feels like it was asking for trouble. 

(Don't know if TS still was having a say too) 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Recruitment has been a mess ever since Roland came in - Managers / Gallen, it doesn't matter who has been involved at the club, they've all had their hands tied by Roland and Driesen.

Then came that hugely successful Transfer Window under ESI, before Tommy and Martin decided to get too involved in Transfers.

Feels like Stevie Wonder is trying to finger point on here for the most part - We don't have a clue whats been going on behind the scenes, but since 2014 the buck stops at the top of the chain.

You could go as far to say that we were successful in 2018-19 because it was the one year when Bowyer / Gallen were just allowed to get on with things. 
  • Options
    He’s lived off the Bielik Cullen Taylor season and the rest has been a crock of complete shit 
    Can add Conor Gallagher to the list as well
  • Options
    Driesen’s claim that he had to veto a lot of crap potential signings proposed by Gallen doesn’t sound so outlandish these days. 
    Shame Tommy didn't veto all the crap that got signed before he joined then
  • Options
    Driesen’s claim that he had to veto a lot of crap potential signings proposed by Gallen doesn’t sound so outlandish these days. 
    Well that's exactly it isn't it?  Driesen claims credit for "Gallen's" best deals, Martin gets the blame for his worst.

It's funny how everyone claims credit for the good ones yet no one holds their hands up for the utter dross.

It even changes depending on which way the wind is blowing.  Plenty of people were happy to claim credit when we signed Stockley and MacGillvray, for example, but their is finger pointing now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Well that's exactly it isn't it?  Driesen claims credit for "Gallen's" best deals, Martin gets the blame for his worst.

It's funny how everyone claims credit for the good ones yet no one holds their hands up for the utter dross.

It even changes depending on which way the wind is blowing.  Plenty of people were happy to claim credit when we signed Stockley and MacGillvray, for example, but their is finger pointing now.
    Overall Mac and Stockley were still half decent signings. Mac wasn't the best keeper (IMO not as bad as others made out) but at least he didn't cost anything. We got a bit out of Stockley and then got a fee when he moved on. The way you club has been managed has clearly had an impact on the players. It doesn't excuse everything but I refuse to believe so many players come to the club with certain expectations and yet have performed so poorly. 
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Yep. Our recruitment has been generally poor for quite some time. 
    I suspect it's more because he's been forced to shop in the equivalent of Lidl and Aldi - not Waitrose and M&S...
    Does everyone else in our division shop in Waitrose and M&S then? 
  • Options
    The truth of the matter is that we will “never know” how well he may have done if given decent backing and half decent funds.
    He’s highly thought of and was quite a coup when we recruited him.
    What makes it all the more sad/unfair, is that he’s a real pleasant individual who is very happy to talk with fans and be as frank as the situation will allow….which you must realise is obviously very awkward at times and especially as things are at present.
    Without question one of the good guys……of which there are only a handful left.
    I personally would be sorry to see him go….were that to happen.
  • Options
    But being a good person doesn't mean you're good at your job
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    But being a good person doesn't mean you're good at your job
    Oh of course…..Les Reed was a classic example of that too.
    It just makes things more difficult when folk are being OTT with their comments regarding someone they haven’t a clue about.
  • Options
    The truth of the matter is that we will “never know” how well he may have done if given decent backing and half decent funds.
    What makes it all the more sad/unfair, is that he’s a real pleasant individual who is very happy to talk with fans and be as frank as the situation will allow….which you must realise is obviously very awkward at times and especially as things are at present.
    He had been unemployed for 6 months after leaving Hong Kong Pegasus, a year after he was sacked as a coach from QPR.  There has never been talk of him leaving despite working under Roland, Southall, Ellioottt and Thomas.

I am sure he is a lovely guy, pretty sure his heart is in the right place.  Also pretty sure he isn't fighting off offers for alternative employment.  Almost any job would be better than the one he has had for the last 5 years, wouldn't it?

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    He had been unemployed for 6 months after leaving Hong Kong Pegasus, a year after he was sacked as a coach from QPR.  There has never been talk of him leaving despite working under Roland, Southall, Ellioottt and Thomas.

I am sure he is a lovely guy, pretty sure his heart is in the right place.  Also pretty sure he isn't fighting off offers for alternative employment.  Almost any job would be better than the one he has had for the last 5 years, wouldn't it?

Yes…..I think you’re right there.
  • Options
    Recruitment has been a mess ever since Roland came in - Managers / Gallen, it doesn't matter who has been involved at the club, they've all had their hands tied by Roland and Driesen.

Then came that hugely successful Transfer Window under ESI, before Tommy and Martin decided to get too involved in Transfers.

Feels like Stevie Wonder is trying to finger point on here for the most part - We don't have a clue whats been going on behind the scenes, but since 2014 the buck stops at the top of the chain.

You could go as far to say that we were successful in 2018-19 because it was the one year when Bowyer / Gallen were just allowed to get on with things. 
    The first summer after Roland took over we actually brought in some decent players. The second was a disaster, though two of those players Bauer and Sarr would turn out to be decent buys (eventually in the case of Naby).

I think things started picking up after Robinson came in. That Robinson/Bowyer season when we finished 6th seemed a failure at the time, but we're miles off that side now. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He’s lived off the Bielik Cullen Taylor season and the rest has been a crock of complete shit 
    I'd be happy to see a new recruitment team come in as part of the takeover. Some will defend Gallen but presumably he agreed signings like Lavelle, DJ, Aneke, Kirk etc.

TS didn't provide the biggest budget in the league but so much more could and should have been achieved with what he provided.
    All 4 will be back in the summer. It will be like having 4 new signings! 
    And McGrandles.
    That is all so depressing.

Kirk got taken off at half time yesterday for Burton; Lavelle didn't even make their 18; McGrandles lasted for an hour for Cambridge- a team who look like going down - before he was taken off; and DJ is of course injured .

What joy to get those 4 back.
    Kirk got taken off at half time due to a red card just before the break and being 2 nil up. Not really a downer on him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have no idea either way about Gallen but lets not forget sandgaard is notoriously tight with wages & this apparently is why we haven't signed a fair amount of players that we targeted, maybe we have signed the "best of the rest" because their wage demands haven't been as high as the better players that Gallen originally targeted. As for the comment about he had scouted Lavelle a few times I guess he isn't going to say he was the only one that we could afford, he's obviously going to talk the player up. In fact weren't we after someone who signed for Wigan instead & so we signed Lavelle ? 
    Notoriously tight compared to who though? It’s not as if we’re 8-10th and not quite good enough for the playoffs, we need a big rebuild to get anywhere near that.

We’re 16th in the table and below Shrewsbury, Exeter, Lincoln, Bristol Rovers, Port Vale and Fleetwood. All clubs we’ve likely spent more than over the last two years. In the last couple of years we’ve paid fees on Clare, Kirk, Fraser, Lavelle, Kirk, Stockley, Aneke, DJ and Schwartz.

We did miss out on the CB who went to Wigan but there are plenty of players out there. These aren’t the best of the rest, no doubt we’ve missed players who’ve gone on to perform better than Lavelle.
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    I'd be happy to see a new recruitment team come in as part of the takeover. Some will defend Gallen but presumably he agreed signings like Lavelle, DJ, Aneke, Kirk etc.

TS didn't provide the biggest budget in the league but so much more could and should have been achieved with what he provided.
    All 4 will be back in the summer. It will be like having 4 new signings! 
    And McGrandles.
    That is all so depressing.

Kirk got taken off at half time yesterday for Burton; Lavelle didn't even make their 18; McGrandles lasted for an hour for Cambridge- a team who look like going down - before he was taken off; and DJ is of course injured .

What joy to get those 4 back.
    Kirk got taken off at half time due to a red card just before the break and being 2 nil up. Not really a downer on him.
    Fair enough, I didn't know that. But still interesting that if they wanted to "sacrifice" a player, Kirk was the one they were happy to take off.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    He did confirm that in the interview late last year. Martin Sandgaard and other scouts identify the players, Steve Gallen then talks to them about contracts and terms. And if all agree it goes before Thomas to write out the cheque 
    That may be the basic structure but I doubt his role is that limited. Gallen said he'd been to see Lavelle numerous times before signing him. 
    Not something I'd put on my CV if I were SG.

We don't know just how much his work has been influenced by the low budget and uncertainty but I think it can reasonably be argued that other teams seem to have done better with similar or worse financial constraints.
  • Options
    I have a gut feeling that if and when this takeover goes through, SG will be history and we’ll have Andy Scott back. 
  • Options
    Thats how I understand it. Earlier when Bowyer was manager SG was scouting as well, and the recruitment was good . Duchalet was disinterested, so a committee of 2. Much better.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I have a gut feeling that if and when this takeover goes through, SG will be history and we’ll have Andy Scott back. 
    Andy Scott was part of the Methven “group” I’d be very surprised if he came back under any new regime. 
  • Options
    Thats how I understand it. Earlier when Bowyer was manager SG was scouting as well, and the recruitment was good . Duchalet was disinterested, so a committee of 2. Much better.
    So what does he do between windows if his role is only to negotiate deals once identified by others ? 
  • Options
    Three with Driesen.