Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is this The Valley?

Saw this on a Facebook page, claiming “The Valley, Charlton Athletic, before any stands or terraces were built, and the giant East Stand was just a mud bank”

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Where's the Thames?

Not sure AFKA
  • Options
    It's an artist's impression of the Valley.

Not sure how accurate it is but on the 1921 architects plan the urinal in the foreground is shown

There should be some army huts where the main/west stand now is 
  • Options
    The club thinks (or at least used to think, as I can only get to this page via Google Lens) it was the Valley, as it is included in this write up:
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/5d7b3ac5b3290/100-years-of-our-home
  • Options

Saw this on a Facebook page, claiming “The Valley, Charlton Athletic, before any stands or terraces were built, and the giant East Stand was just a mud bank”

Thoughts?
    Unless the perspective is rather off, I'd have said no. If that's the East on the right, then we should be looking from the South, but you don't get that impression of the change in height going up to The Heights. Also I'm struggling to work out where the railway line is, and what's the church to the right of the big warehouse/factory building?
  • Options
    Doesn’t look like an area of gravel pits and small industry
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Thoughts?
    Unless the perspective is rather off, I'd have said no. If that's the East on the right, then we should be looking from the South, but you don't get that impression of the change in height going up to The Heights. Also I'm struggling to work out where the railway line is, and what's the church to the right of the big warehouse/factory building?
    probably Holy Trinity at the end of Charlton Lane, apparently demolished in the early 1970s: https://www.charltonparks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Holy-Trinity-New-Charlton-Parish-News-July-1907.pdf

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where's the pigeons?
  • Options
    The club thinks (or at least used to think, as I can only get to this page via Google Lens) it was the Valley, as it is included in this write up:
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/5d7b3ac5b3290/100-years-of-our-home
    It’s on the OS. Mystery solved. Link works for me.
  • Options

Thoughts?
    Same here (saw it on FB) someone said maybe but the scenery is more like 1600.....not to sure myself.
  • Options
    100%
  • Options

Thoughts?
    Same here (saw it on FB) someone said maybe but the scenery is more like 1600.....not to sure myself.
    Factory buildings in 1600?
  • Options
    Look, there's Maryon Park on the right and all
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Look, there's Maryon Park on the right and all
    I'm not providing input. Having once lived in East Greenwich and supported Charlton for decades, it wasn't until I read The Year of the Robin that I knew that Gilberts Pit even existed. 
  • Options
    I'm sure someone will be along shortly to comment that some our our more "senior" members where there in 1885...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thoughts?
    I have seen this picture before . On CL or The official Charlton website.
    The large building in the background is the same building that was seen in a photo from 1968 taken by one of our members which appeared on this site .

That’s The Valley.
  • Options

Thoughts?
    I have seen this picture before . On CL or The official Charlton website.
    The large building in the background is the same building that was seen in a photo from 1968 taken by one of our members which appeared on this site .

That’s The Valley.

• Options
    Obviously the pitch is superimposed but the landscape could be genuine and probably early 1800’s if not earlier , someone should be are to date it ?

• Options

Thoughts?
    Let me guess, the 'lost football grounds and terraces of the United Kingdom' group on FB?
  • Options
    The above picture has appeared in a Charlton programe or book.I am sure of that.
  • Options
    Oligab said:
    Obviously the pitch is superimposed but the landscape could be genuine and probably early 1800’s if not earlier , someone should be are to date it ?

As above I thinks it’s a recent interpretation - no superimposing.
  • Options
    A link to a map of the area in1900.

I wonder when they changed the name of Hanging Wood Lane.

• Options

• Options
    I have this picture - says on bottom ‘The Valley 1921 - Pre Wembley- prospective venue for FA Cup finals (The Athletic News 14th March 1921) - bought it for my Dad must have been late 1980’s for Christmas